Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dutch cabinet approves partial ban on Islamic veil in public areas

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Those who seek to ban the niqab are just as arbitrary and controlling as those rulers in certain places that wish to enforce it.

Let's live and let live...

So we democratically vote for our "rulers", how do you think a vote for non wearing of face coverings in places like banks, schools and public buildings would pan out. Live and live but safety and some sensible rules are not controlling, maybe the controlling is by those that won't adhere to sensible rules.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
What a load of rubbish. The ability to question your government and hold them accountable is a democratic right. Sounds like you seem to be confusing democracy and totalitarianism.

If you don't agree with it as a individual then that's your hard luck , vote the ruling party out in 5 years time or whenever it is in Holland . I voted Tory and I know some policies I will not agree with but generally I hope I will be satisfied if not my vote will go elsewhere next time . If the Dutch are so against this policy then I am sure there will be change next election , but some how I doubt it ! Whichever Islamic person decided to live in Holland should abide by the Dutch rules end off , if not it is a sign of disrespect to the country that you live in , just like people trying to introduce Sharia Law in this country .

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
If you don't question their decisions you are questioning democracy.

Just because a government is elected it doesn't give them carte blanche to do what they like.

Will you argue every policy you don't like and expect it to go your way ? The cabinet were voted in to take decisions for the whole population not just one group of people whether religious or not .

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I find this whole debate quite pointless and frustrating.

Why does anyone actually care if the occasional Muslim lady covers their faces? It just seems many want to dictate the lives of others, or have an irrational dislike of Islam.

That said, I feel passionately about anonymity, and I believe that we should have every right to cover our faces in public - but exceptions should be made in secure places such as schools and hospitals - so despite the controversy, I don't disagree with the Dutch ruling. An overall ban would preposterous though.

Well they are not calling for " An overall ban" are they.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It's just people struggling to adapt to new things. Fact is Muslims are getting about. They're not out to get us. A group of them are extremists. The average lass in a dish dash isn't after your blood.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It's just people struggling to adapt to new things. Fact is Muslims are getting about. They're not out to get us. A group of them are extremists. The average lass in a dish dash isn't after your blood.

i agree,some cultures are getting about in large numbers,especially to these shores and they are indeed struggling to adapt to new things,especially things like covering the face which we seem to find a weird concept,preferring as we do face to face interaction

I am sure they will come around eventually

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Will you argue every policy you don't like and expect it to go your way ? The cabinet were voted in to take decisions for the whole population not just one group of people whether religious or not .

I will argue every policy I don't like if I feel strongly about it. Just because a cabinet of politicians makes a decision doesn't mean that it is the right one. Do I expect it to go my way? No not in the slightest.

This to me is the very essence of democracy, if the majority of voters think that a party are making the best decisions for the country and I disagree then I have to lump it. Do I have to do it quietly? No of course I don't, I can jump up and down, protest and write letters to my MP's in the hope that i can change something. It doesn't always work but at least we can say we tried. I can keep banging on about something in the hope that what i say makes sense to people and maybe my views will be better represented by the next cabinet of politicians.

Sometimes of course not accepting decisions and jumping up and down, protesting and writing letters (postcards) to MP's does work and we have a football club and shiny new stadium as testament to that.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
if you come to a Christian state then you respect the laws there as you would have to if you lived in an islamic state
simples really if you don't like our ways and laws don't live there.

Juror#13

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
Those who seek to ban the niqab are just as arbitrary and controlling as those rulers in certain places that wish to enforce it.

Let's live and let live...

The 'burkha bandits': Robbers armed with knives and an axe wear Muslim dress to raid stores.

It should be a blanket ban just like Muslim countries.

The knife-wielding robber targets Thomson travel agency in London during a spate of violent crimes committed by men dressed in burkha

article-1209006-06311796000005DC-396_468x355.jpg

[yt]iJPCbmAsDxk[/yt]

Terror suspect who escaped in burka.

Mohammed-Ahmed_2722311b.jpg

Attachments

• article-1209006-06311796000005DC-396_468x355.jpg
    article-1209006-06311796000005DC-396_468x355.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 91

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I dont care what your reason is (unless its genuinely medical ) covering your face means you have something to hide.
Absoultely no one should be covering their face in public places especially and unfortunately nowadays.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
I will argue every policy I don't like if I feel strongly about it. Just because a cabinet of politicians makes a decision doesn't mean that it is the right one. Do I expect it to go my way? No not in the slightest.

This to me is the very essence of democracy, if the majority of voters think that a party are making the best decisions for the country and I disagree then I have to lump it. Do I have to do it quietly? No of course I don't, I can jump up and down, protest and write letters to my MP's in the hope that i can change something. It doesn't always work but at least we can say we tried. I can keep banging on about something in the hope that what i say makes sense to people and maybe my views will be better represented by the next cabinet of politicians.

Sometimes of course not accepting decisions and jumping up and down, protesting and writing letters (postcards) to MP's does work and we have a football club and shiny new stadium as testament to that.

Fair enough BF , same I would expect a Dutch nationalist to question in an Islamic country why they can't get pissed in the street on lager and eat cake containing magic mushrooms , as well as visiting many sex shops and visiting prostitutes in red light area's of course ;) !

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
if you come to a Christian state then you respect the laws there as you would have to if you lived in an islamic state
simples really if you don't like our ways and laws don't live there.

Using this logic i am guessing that there are a fair few people who are about to move to The Netherlands

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

I take it you will "jump up and down" and "protest and write letters to my MP's" in Oz then, or perhaps you agree with this stance below, i know i would gladly welcome this attitude in England.

"AUSTRALIA is to strip Islamic State fighters of their citizenship under radical new plans – amid calls for the British government to do the same."
http://www.express.co.uk/news/world...jihadi-Islamic-State-Peter-Dutton-citizenship

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I take it you will "jump up and down" and "protest and write letters to my MP's" in Oz then, or perhaps you agree with this stance below, i know i would gladly welcome this attitude in England.

"AUSTRALIA is to strip Islamic State fighters of their citizenship under radical new plans – amid calls for the British government to do the same."
http://www.express.co.uk/news/world...jihadi-Islamic-State-Peter-Dutton-citizenship

I protest about many things in Oz, its my democratic right.

i think the policy you posted is quite a good idea so no i won't be complaining about that.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Fair enough BF , same I would expect a Dutch nationalist to question in an Islamic country why they can't get pissed in the street on lager and eat cake containing magic mushrooms , as well as visiting many sex shops and visiting prostitutes in red light area's of course ;) !

I hesitate to speak for Bad Fish, but I would suggest that his stance would be that the policies of Islamic countries would also be worthy of protest. He believes in democracy, as he has clearly stated.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here