Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dutch cabinet approves partial ban on Islamic veil in public areas

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Post 139..........." even though it is only a minority at the moment,"..........take a look.

So, you replied with a quote, that had nothing to do with the post people were discussing? Brilliant.

' Thumbs Down! Thumbs Up!
Quote Originally Posted by Creaky View Post
Of course Islamist propaganda that instills anti-western sentiment in young children and radicalises youngsters should be tackled - only a fool would disagree..

Neither of the above however applies to the vast majority of the population unquote
Which is why i stated "even though it is only a minority at the moment"

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Im not whinging constantly about it, and, as you have been repeatedly informed, I intend to retire in the UK. I know as MUCH as you do about situations in the UK. Im in Europe, not Saturn.

Your unprecedented 'local' knowledge allowed you to post a picture of the Labour Business Secretary and announce he is a UKIP member. Glad to have you on the ground there to keep us all informed.

I wondered when you would bring that one in again. I have admitted on numerous occasions now that i put up the wrong picture, it was amongst others on the same page, i got it wrong. So as i mentioned, the diversion tactics, feel free to bring it up again when you want another apology, must make your day eh.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I wondered when you would bring that one in again. I have admitted on numerous occasions now that i put up the wrong picture, it was amongst others on the same page, i got it wrong. So as i mentioned, the diversion tactics, feel free to bring it up again when you want another apology, must make your day eh.

I dont believe you. I believe you were being deliberately deceptive.

Link me to the page.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
We don’t see many in the full Burka down here but the other day I saw one being worn by a woman picking up her child from school. I think for young children this looks intimidating, especially at school picking up time, and is equally not fair on her child standing out from the crowd because of it.

I haven’t got a problem with head scarf’s that can be partially draped across their faces, but I don’t see a place in the modern world for the all black dressed and fixed letterbox Burkas.

People are supposed to integrate with the country they live in, but Burkas send out the message of a them and us attitude.

I would be up for banning them in public places, and if they are not happy about it they can go to a country where it is illegal to not wear them.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
We don’t see many in the full Burka down here but the other day I saw one being worn by a woman picking up her child from school. I think for young children this looks intimidating, especially at school picking up time, and is equally not fair on her child standing out from the crowd because of it.

I haven’t got a problem with head scarf’s that can be partially draped across their faces, but I don’t see a place in the modern world for the all black dressed and fixed letterbox Burkas.

People are supposed to integrate with the country they live in, but Burkas send out the message of a them and us attitude.

I would be up for banning them in public places, and if they are not happy about it they can go to a country where it is illegal to not wear them.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that it was women putting up the "middle finger" to the West. It was also mentioned that Afghanistan is where the full burka has been adopted, i say adopted because it is not part of the "religious attire".
Interesting to see these photos of Afghanistan 60's and 70's with or without burqas?
http://afghanistanonmymind.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/afghanistan-in-60s-and-70s-with-or.html

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It was mentioned earlier in the thread that it was women putting up the "middle finger" to the West. It was also mentioned that Afghanistan is where the full burka has been adopted, i say adopted because it is not part of the "religious attire".
Interesting to see these photos of Afghanistan 60's and 70's with or without burqas?
http://afghanistanonmymind.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/afghanistan-in-60s-and-70s-with-or.html

It certainly suggests that they agree with the Islamic State in principle.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

I really do not want to get involved in this debate, but can I suggest that the highlighted bit is the problem?

I have met many Burka wearers and speak to many in my shop, the mother of my sons friend from Karate wears one. Does it stop her from talking to me and being a thoroughly decent person? No. Does it bother me? Nope, it is just a part of life. Have any of them ever given me trouble? No. I really do not see the problem myself, but then I am used to it and live in a country of many different faiths and cultures where diversity is the norm. Perhaps if I had stayed in the UK and not been used to it I would feel the same as many on this thread, but I sincerely hope not.

And I still do not see how banning it in the UK (or Holland) will stop extremism. It might make some of you on here feel better about yourselves, but it will not decrease your chances of getting blown up.

Some of you need to get out more.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Just the usual goose steppers getting in a lather over something they've completely misunderstood. Again.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I personally think that burqas are a representation of an extreme version of Islam that is wholly incompatible with living in the West, it seems to be oppressive but I guess that where it is worn it has a punkish 1970's rebellion quality, they would know exactly how it is perceived by the majority of westerners.

But for me banning is nearly unenforceable and is a bit of a fudge, you just know that if it ever happened here the first thing the police would do is round up a group of bored white hoody wearing teenagers outside Tesco Express, just for balance of course.

At some stage there would need to challenge the spread of a dominant religion, I havent got too much time for any religion but Islam seems to lend itself to an uncompromising form of religion and something that can manifest itself into quite extreme versions that has become a threat to our own civil security.

It is no longer a valid response to say 'not all Muslims' because most fair minded people already know that, just as not all white people are racist but it doesn't stop most of us carefully controlling our own actions or views within our social groups, just ignoring the growing dominance of this 'cult' needs to be challenged more and some of its practices tolerated less.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I really do not want to get involved in this debate, but can I suggest that the highlighted bit is the problem?

I have met many Burka wearers and speak to many in my shop, the mother of my sons friend from Karate wears one. Does it stop her from talking to me and being a thoroughly decent person? No. Does it bother me? Nope, it is just a part of life. Have any of them ever given me trouble? No. I really do not see the problem myself, but then I am used to it and live in a country of many different faiths and cultures where diversity is the norm. Perhaps if I had stayed in the UK and not been used to it I would feel the same as many on this thread, but I sincerely hope not.

And I still do not see how banning it in the UK (or Holland) will stop extremism. It might make some of you on here feel better about yourselves, but it will not decrease your chances of getting blown up.

It's not the women wearing Burkas that concern me, it's their husbands.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

Fair enough, good post, but the ban is not on the streets, do you think the cover up is ok in Court rooms, police stations, job centres, driving centres, passport control, schools and a few other "public" buildings. Fraud could come into play, and other scenarios.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

With respect buying a loaf of bread without incident is hardly a qualification of decency, I am guessing even Hitler might have managed that.

Last edited:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

Do you think this alleged situation would be worse if full face covering is allowed?

Hundreds of Bangladeshis flew into Britain for ONE DAY to claim benefit.
A charity trustee has been charged with a fraud offence after a huge benefits racket probe involving hundreds of Bangladeshi migrants with European Union passports.

Asma Khanam, 46, of Newbury Park, east London, who is involved with relief organisation Families for Survival UK, was among 13 people arrested as part of the investigation.

The racket is said to involve fraudsters making one-day trips from Italy to attend interviews at Jobcentres for National Insurance numbers.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...efit-massive-fraud-racket-smashed-police.html

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Do you think this alleged situation would be worse if full face covering is allowed?

Hundreds of Bangladeshis flew into Britain for ONE DAY to claim benefit.
A charity trustee has been charged with a fraud offence after a huge benefits racket probe involving hundreds of Bangladeshi migrants with European Union passports.

Asma Khanam, 46, of Newbury Park, east London, who is involved with relief organisation Families for Survival UK, was among 13 people arrested as part of the investigation.

The racket is said to involve fraudsters making one-day trips from Italy to attend interviews at Jobcentres for National Insurance numbers.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...efit-massive-fraud-racket-smashed-police.html

As that article does not appear to even mention Burkas or veils, banning it would not make a bit of difference would it? If you are worried about Burka wearing women making multiple benefit claims, introduce a fingerprint system.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here