Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Never stop laughing at this!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You sure about that? It seems that the UK have the Germans on-board with regards how they want to see the EU reformed.

sq14bk.jpg

You're taking a big leap of faith here. At best the Germans are interested and would like to work with Cameron. Nothing more. He hasn't even stated what he wants yet.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
You're taking a big leap of faith here. At best the Germans are interested and would like to work with Cameron. Nothing more.

I think it has more to do with a damage limitation strategy , if the UK leaves the EU it will be the Germans who are going to be butt****ed the most

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So the newspaper article that headline belongs to and the BBC article are just guessing. Gotcha.

I've read 3 articles on this matter including the BBC article and both offer nothing but an invite to talk, a German olive branch at most. This is some distance from having the German's on side. And even this isn't news as Merkel offered Cameron a tantalising glimpse of his ultimate goal when she visited London six months or so ago....which was seen here as a strategic move.

I want the UK to remain in the EU, so just for the record I hope this initial politeness transpires into something more concrete.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've read 3 articles on this matter including the BBC article and both offer nothing but an invite to talk, a German olive branch at most. This is some distance from having the German's on side. And even this isn't news as Merkel offered Cameron a tantalising glimpse of his ultimate goal when she visited London six months or so ago....which was seen here as a strategic move.

I want the UK to remain in the EU, so just for the record I hope this initial politeness transpires into something more concrete.

I disagree. From today's Wall Street Journal:

"In an interview with The Wall Street Journal and French daily Les Echos this week in Berlin, Mr. Schäuble volunteered no less than Germany’s help in pushing for a fundamental reform of how the EU works as long as this includes Berlin’s demands for a more centralized economic governance of the eurozone....Not just this, but Mr. Schäuble also said he would soon start work with his British counterpart on a joint proposal for EU reform:"

http://blogs.wsj.com/brussels/2015/05/21/what-schauble-said-about-the-u-k-s-eu-renegotiation-plans/

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
All Cameron needs to do is push for reform on free movement of unskilled labour from some of the weaker states in the EU, and we are back in business. Especially if he pushes through with reform on social benefits for migrant workers arriving in the country. These two issues would decimate UKIP support (as a large number of UKIP supporters simply object to being forced into this race to the bottom) and if his plays his politics correctly, it's hard to see many other developed European nations objecting to this position.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

The pro EU propaganda war is already under way here in the UK. Cameron got the Open Europe thinktank on board a day after the general election result was known.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I disagree. From today's Wall Street Journal:

"In an interview with The Wall Street Journal and French daily Les Echos this week in Berlin, Mr. Schäuble volunteered no less than Germany’s help in pushing for a fundamental reform of how the EU works as long as this includes Berlin’s demands for a more centralized economic governance of the eurozone....Not just this, but Mr. Schäuble also said he would soon start work with his British counterpart on a joint proposal for EU reform:"

http://blogs.wsj.com/brussels/2015/05/21/what-schauble-said-about-the-u-k-s-eu-renegotiation-plans/

Well have to agree to disagree with how we interpret "being on side." then. Even this post you provide, to me, suggests nothing more than a potential offer of help (with strings) and the offer of talks.

This exchange isn't following the tone I expected or want so I'll stop here. I just wanted to point out it's very very early days but, I hope, the start of a fruitful journey. And if Cameron does get the Germans on side, and gets a yes referendum vote, then good for him.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The pro EU propaganda war is already under way here in the UK. Cameron got the Open Europe thinktank on board a day after the general election result was known.

And Deutsche Bank have threatened to leave if the vote is no!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
All Cameron needs to do is push for reform on free movement of unskilled labour from some of the weaker states in the EU, and we are back in business. Especially if he pushes through with reform on social benefits for migrant workers arriving in the country. These two issues would decimate UKIP support (as a large number of UKIP supporters simply object to being forced into this race to the bottom) and if his plays his politics correctly, it's hard to see many other developed European nations objecting to this position.

I agree with this. I also think a simple stop to benefits and the NHS will suffice. It will screw the leather-skinned lasagne and chips ex-pat brigade in Spain though :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Cameron needs all the allies he can muster to keep up the scaremongering :laugh:

I personally want a positive pro-EU campaign. I'd have preferred it if DB had explained the benefits as opposed to suggested they'll sod off.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Cameron needs all the allies he can muster to keep up the scaremongering :laugh:

My positive campaign will consist simply of a photo of the rather attractive Czech girl in my local UK coffee shop with the legend "vote out, wave goodbye" underneath. I think this will suffice and bring people to their senses.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
This thread is SO FUNNY! :rotlf:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here