Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gay cake row.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Not sure what the fuss is about. You just have to adapt and move with the times. Had great fun singing this with my 3 and 5 year old children this evening:

Patter cake, patter cake, baker man
Bake me a cake or I'll sue you for discriminating against my sexual orientation as well as my political beliefs
Pat it and prick and mark with "Support Gay Marriage"
And pop it in the oven for Barry and me. Gosh - haven't you got strong hands?

To be fair, the kids prefer the traditional version, which is annoying as I don't believe I have brought them up to be so intolerant.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Similarly, what might be the outcome if a Christian run bakery refused to bake a cake celebrating IS, or a Muslim run bakery refused to make a cake celebrating Zionism and the Jewish settlements in the West Bank? This seems like a very flawed judgement to me.

Supporting IS isn't protected under anti-discrimination law
Zionist settlements probably aren't but I'd leave that up to the lawyers.

If you can find a Muslim run bakery in NI I'd be quite surprised, ditto a non-Christian run one at all actually.

Bakery's fault entirely for taking the order, then refusing it two full days later with a little lecture about why they were refusing it. Refusing it without a reason = no crime, no court case, no payout. Grumpy customer, but that was going to happen either way.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Drew,you are right £500 my point is will this 'run' Human Rights,trama.panic attacks,flashbacks etc you get my drift. Is there a huge compo claim on it,s way ?

I don't know, but my gut feeling is this was probably an activist who found out the bakery was run by Christians and did it to prove a point and for no other reason. Whilst I agree that there shouldn't be discrimination, I'd rather see them take a case against someone that actually hates LBGTs. The owners have their Christian beliefs and just as you should respect the beliefs of Muslims (ie the cartoons of Mohammad) then you should do the same for Christians.

For want of a better phrase, it's not black or white.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I don't know, but my gut feeling is this was probably an activist who found out the bakery was run by Christians and did it to prove a point and for no other reason. Whilst I agree that there shouldn't be discrimination, I'd rather see them take a case against someone that actually hates LBGTs. The owners have their Christian beliefs and just as you should respect the beliefs of Muslims (ie the cartoons of Mohammad) then you should do the same for Christians.

Your post has struck him,we know it would never happen,can you imagine if you tried to place an order like what you have voiced up ?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
What a waste of taxpayers money.
Just go to another cake shop and don't shop there again, quite simple.

Ahh but this is the 21st century!

What a pathetic decision and what is the world coming to?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Why is enforcing the law a "waste of money" ? Many people go to court every day for a variety of offences and the cost often outweighs the amount of money spent bringing the prosecution; should we abandon every prosecution if it's not going to bring in a profit ?

Enforcing the law is not a waste of money.

This case most certainly was. There are "rights" on both sides here. What about the bakers rights to not make a cake that offends their beliefs. (I don't agree with them but respect their rights)

There was an easy solution and that was for him to take his business elsewhere rather than cause all this fuss.
I hope they appeal and win and make him pay costs.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Supporting IS isn't protected under anti-discrimination law
Zionist settlements probably aren't but I'd leave that up to the lawyers.
In the first case the complaint would be discrimination against muslims, in the second the charge would be anti-Semitism. In either case they would be likely to use this judgement as a precedent.

If you can find a Muslim run bakery in NI I'd be quite surprised, ditto a non-Christian run one at all actually.
Anywhere in England would do, doesn't have to be in Northern Ireland.

Bakery's fault entirely for taking the order, then refusing it two full days later with a little lecture about why they were refusing it. Refusing it without a reason = no crime, no court case, no payout. Grumpy customer, but that was going to happen either way.
True up to a point, but I can't help feeling, as has been expressed earlier on this thread, that the placing of the order may have been planned as deliberately provocative with perhaps a frisson of publicity seeking.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
In the first case the complaint would be discrimination against muslims, in the second the charge would be anti-Semitism. In either case they would be likely to use this judgement as a precedent.

There isn't a hope in hell that the complaint would ever be followed up for the first one. Connecting "supporting IS" to Islam in general would be very difficult, whereas sexual identity is a specific protected sector. The second maybe, but extremely unlikely.

Anywhere in England would do, doesn't have to be in Northern Ireland.

Northern Ireland has its own legal system (see above for precedent setting too). Its even more divergent than Scottish Law in many ways. I know the provisions in this area relatively well, hence why I can say that your examples are impossible and unlikely - in Northern Ireland.

True up to a point, but I can't help feeling, as has been expressed earlier on this thread, that the placing of the order may have been planned as deliberately provocative with perhaps a frisson of publicity seeking.

He was a frequent customer of the bakery, as shown in the court case. He basically went to his local bakery that he knew could print on icing.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

I'm a Christian, and if I had the necessary skills, I would have been happy to do it for them.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Did we have a thread on this before the case? Same thing happened with a photographer who refused to shoot a gay wedding. Photographer lost in court.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Did we have a thread on this before the case? Same thing happened with a photographer who refused to shoot a gay wedding. Photographer lost in court.
Yeah we did. Same bullshit know-nothing irrelevant arguments. I suspect we'll have another thread if it's appealed. Plus ca change.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
This is where our free markets fail. This case shouldn't need to go to court it should just be left to the consumer to decide if they want to support a homophobic business. We have social media to spread the the word of the business' actions and we should then be able to make a choice on if we support the business. I would hope that people would stop using the shop after such and act and it would go out of business. However if they still continue trading then the people have spoken and it really isn't so much of an issue.

if we were a bit more self governing as a community then we wouldn't need to waste time and money on this Nanny State stuff.

The chaps were not harmed in anyway and would still have been able to get their cake
The shop owners are no less homophobic just because they have been taken to, and lost in court.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
It wouldn't happen in Eastbourne. I went to my local Baker to test him, asked for a cake promoting Gay Marriage and he not only took my order ..... but kissed me as well. :blush:

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Gay rights activist Gareth Lee is now being taken to court by Bert and Ernie who said "We are good friends who are puppets and do not have any sexual orientation"

BertErnieMain.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here