Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When will we complete our first signing of the summer?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We've been patient and we end up with all the rejects in August...Get the players in asap and ones that fit our system.The longer you go on the more likely you're to get the scraps who demand silly wages.

In our most successful season and highest finish for over 30 years only 2 years back. We didn't sign anyone in May, 1 player in June and 4 on transfer deadline day. In August. 3 of whom were first team regulars that season and did rather well for us. Should we wait until August 31st to sign players based on that ?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
In our most successful season and highest finish for over 30 years only 2 years back. We didn't sign anyone in May, 1 player in June and 4 on transfer deadline day. In August. 3 of whom were first team regulars that season and did rather well for us. Should we wait until August 31st to sign players based on that ?
While I totally agree now is not the time to panic my concern is that the summer training will be a joke and the trip to Geneva a waste of time and money when we have a more than adequate training facility on our door step.
Ideally I'd like 75% of our business done and dusted by the start of July and the balance by the start of the season and not have pre-season friendlies with the 1st XI made up of DS players who will never get a kick in the 1st team.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
While I totally agree now is not the time to panic....
Ideally I'd like 75% of our business done and dusted by the start of July and the balance by the start of the season and not have pre-season friendlies with the 1st XI made up of DS players who will never get a kick in the 1st team.

We currently have 19 *first team* squad players on our books who played last season. Probably enough for a kick about.

Ps: Hughton insists Baldock and Crofts will be fit for pre season.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
We currently have 19 *first team* squad players on our books who played last season. Probably enough for a kick about.

We have to be realistic out of the nineteen a few will be sold, a few weren't good enough, a few are DS players given a 1st team number and that includes three goalkeepers. Really we need to add at least five / six new faces.

I'm in the corner of having a small squad but with quality and gambling on having few injuries.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

We didn't need major surgery then tho', did we!?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Complacent. We tried that last season, and look at the results. Do you want to repeat the same mistakes of last summer!? If so, why?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I think it's time to drop the bewetters theme. Turned out that there was real reason to worry last year

Too ****ing right. The lickers were TOTALLY and UTTERLY WRONG.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
To go from 10th to 4th and with a massive budget increase from 2011/12 that season was major surgery.

Do you think we needed major surgery then? Obviously, we didn't!

Do you think we need it now? IMHO, we do.

So, just what is your point CJ?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
My feeling is we need to at the very least get the left back and first choice hero striker signed before we jet off to the French mountains.

I'll be a lot happier once this is done, or there is evidence that it is close.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Do you think we needed major surgery then? Obviously, we didn't!

Do you think we need it now? IMHO, we do.

So, just what is your point CJ?

We made a big change to the squad then and substantially improved quality. Both in the summer and January windows. Virtually none of that business was done in may or June. So if you think substantial signings are required this summer. I do. There's no evidence to suggest it will either be successful or not purely on the basis of the dates of the signings. The league won't be won in May.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
We made a big change to the squad then and substantially improved quality. Both in the summer and January windows. Virtually none of that business was done in may or June. So if you think substantial signings are required this summer. I do. There's no evidence to suggest it will either be successful or not purely on the basis of the dates of the signings. The league won't be won in May.

Seem to remember a load of signings in the last 2 days of the 2012 summer window: Spanish Dave, Orlandi, Crofts, Dobbie and Hammond (season loan). These supplemented Bridge, Bruno and PIG that had been made a bit earlier. Add in Upson and Ulloa and it's fair to say that most of the tem that made the play offs weren't even involved in the first weeks of pre season.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

I'm still not sure, but I think we are agreeing that the squad needs a major overhaul this summer. However, IMHO, we need to do business early in the window (I said this last summer too), so that we are properly prepared for the new season (last summer was a total c0ck-up because we took too long to make key signings, and signed lower-quality, a double-whammy negative impact to our results). We must not make the same mistake and start from a lower base in terms of the players we have on the books this season versus last.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm still not sure, but I think we are agreeing that the squad needs a major overhaul this summer. However, IMHO, we need to do business early in the window (I said this last summer too), so that we are properly prepared for the new season (last summer was a total c0ck-up because we took too long to make key signings, and signed lower-quality, a double-whammy negative impact to our results). We must not make the same mistake and start from a lower base in terms of the players we have on the books this season versus last.

I think we're violently agreeing.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Slowly_Does_It_LOGO_400x400.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here