Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Microwaves- essential kitchen appliance or waste of worktop space?

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
For me the latter. It's a question that divides my family. Thoughts welcome.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I used to find the space factor annoying but since we had our kitchen refitted last year, it's been great. Integration is the answer!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Its essential..........a complete no brainer...........name me another kitchen appliance that can blow up an egg in under 30 seconds or reduce the Tory Scum Imperialist Warmongering Action Man Doll to pliable molten peoples putty in a matter of minutes.

Scrambled eggs are a breeze as well in a microwave.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Essential for me. I don't do the cooking in my house for a few reasons (I'm bad at it and don't enjoy it at all, the other half is the opposite) so when left to my own devices it's a godsend.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
At Chez Jim its used to heat up beans and not much else!! Have tried using microwave to cook more in the past but never gave good results.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Had this debate in the pub the other day, i really dont get it. Is it to much effort to stir them on a hob? I find microwaved scrabled eggs horrible.

Correct seasoning,butter content and cooking times make microwave scrambled eggs dead easy,done properly you cant tell the difference ......its just cooking temperature and science with eggs.

microwaved bacon however is a different matter,very handy when moosed at 3am but you dont get the same flavour with grilling or frying as the fat renders down

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's got nothing to do with space, but we've not had a microwave for years and no intention of getting one.
The only use case I can think of where one would be handy is for jacket potatoes - part-cooking in a microwave before crisping up in the oven.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It's got nothing to do with space, but we've not had a microwave for years and no intention of getting one.
The only use case I can think of where one would be handy is for jacket potatoes - part-cooking in a microwave before crisping up in the oven.

no microwave.......this makes no sense.............how do you reheat the left over kebab from the night before?

Yoda

English & European
You can do so much more in a microwave than reheat ready made meals.

I've made a delicious vegetable & cheese soup in the microwave before.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
If you think it's a waste of worktop space, may i suggest

9c6ff6a9e7f4fc41e97a61fa5ab43ed0.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Correct seasoning,butter content and cooking times make microwave scrambled eggs dead easy,done properly you cant tell the difference ......its just cooking temperature and science with eggs.

yes, if you dont cook the same ingredients it will be different. if a ready meal isn't particularly nice in the microwave, its the ready meal that's probably the problem (is it nice in the oven?) there are exceptions, pastry is awful in the microwave. i find the microwave very useful for beans, steaming veg and defrosting.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Mine has precisely two uses - quickly heating a plate on which to rest meat or quickly reheating pasta sauce / bolognaise for a lunch after a lunchtime run when I have limited time. Last bought a microwave meal in about 1993 (no it's not still in the fridge).

Microwaved scrambled eggs are well wrong..

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here