Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone work at Thomas Cook? wondering how staff feel about the Corfu boiler death case

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
The sense I got from it all, was TC wanting to covering their arse, then covering their costs (of bringing case against the hotel? would have thought local police would do that..)

No thought for the poor family, losing two kids.

With all due respect how do you know they have no thought for the family? The parents are obviously distraught and need someone to aim their grief at, which is totally understandable. But TC also have a right to defend themselves. They're being blamed for the death of children for gods sake not some run of the mill crappy holiday experience. They have every right to cover themselves if they feel they are not to blame for something so tragic. They've donated ALL of the compensation to UNICEF so they're not exactly out for the money either.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
I was listening to a debate on the radio earlier today. The money isn't for compensation but legal fees allocated by the Greek court. The apartment owners were blamed. Thomas Cook said they weren't able to check every single room available. One ex rep recommended that holidaymakers should take their own CO detectors with them.
That's not excusing the attitude that has been shown to the poor parents.

Crikey, that's not something I ever thought I would need to take on holiday..

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
It is surely good business sense, to make sure rooms are checked for cleanliness, safety etc, so people want to come again?

Being in another country does not absolve Thomas Cook from being lax (negligent?), arranging proper inspections.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Absolute PR disaster handled awfully from beginning to end and will doubtless cost them millions in future sales. They cannot however, be held responsible for the condition of the hotel, they are an agent and as an agent they represent thousands of hotels with tens of thousands of rooms. Ensuring safety of the hotel can only be the responsibility of its owners and staff...

Many will agree with that,its how it was handled afterwards.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
We stayed there in 2000. My kids were 1 & 6 at the time. My Mrs had what we thought was tonsillitis for about 4 days and had to see a Doctor whilst we were there. Obviously can't prove what caused it, but this whole saga made me think 'there but for the grace of God'.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
With all due respect how do you know they have no thought for the family? The parents are obviously distraught and need someone to aim their grief at, which is totally understandable. But TC also have a right to defend themselves. They're being blamed for the death of children for gods sake not some run of the mill crappy holiday experience. They have every right to cover themselves if they feel they are not to blame for something so tragic. They've donated ALL of the compensation to UNICEF so they're not exactly out for the money either.

Without consulting with the family and releasing details of their communication without ensuring they had received it first ?

Wake up.

Everything to do with protecting the image of the company at all cost which has everything to do with money and has spectacularly backfired.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Without consulting with the family and releasing details of their communication without ensuring they had received it first ?

Wake up.

Everything to do with protecting the image of the company at all cost which has everything to do with money and has spectacularly backfired.

Agree.

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
Whats disguisting most of all with Thomas cook is they would have made money on the death of the children with payment they got from hotel.
How can you make a profit on something so bad.
This is not on and i will never book a holiday with thomas cook again, i have in past always used thomas cook but not again.
I understand things can go wrong and thomas cook cant do it all, but to make money on something so bad as a death and then to donate 1.5million of the 3.2 million payment they got, without telling the parents of plan is disguisting.
Even with the 1.5 million donation and i think 400,000 to family they are up nearly 1.2 million profit on a death HOW ?
Yes its due to reputation been damaged of company but that is own fault, if we make a mistake a work do we get payment for it ? no we have to face consequences as Thomas cook should.
TRULY DISGUISTING

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Whats disguisting most of all with Thomas cook is they would have made money on the death of the children with payment they got from hotel.
How can you make a profit on something so bad.
This is not on and i will never book a holiday with thomas cook again, i have in past always used thomas cook but not again.
I understand things can go wrong and thomas cook cant do it all, but to make money on something so bad as a death and then to donate 1.5million of the 3.2 million payment they got, without telling the parents of plan is disguisting.
Even with the 1.5 million donation and i think 400,000 to family they are up nearly 1.2 million profit on a death HOW ?
Yes its due to reputation been damaged of company but that is own fault, if we make a mistake a work do we get payment for it ? no we have to face consequences as Thomas cook should.
TRULY DISGUISTING

I'm not going to defend or praise Thomas Cook but exactly where did you get the information that they made money from the hotel? Any business that makes a claim against another is normally only going to be able to recover substantiated losses and/or costs. That is to say it would put them in the financial position they would have been in had the incident not occurred, in this case the tragic death of the two children. I might be wrong but the only reference I have seen to the suggestion that they were profiterining from the tragedy were comments made by the parents.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here