Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

QPR - now relegated, will they have to pay their FFP fine?

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I heard yesterday they QPR's wages to turnover percentage is 195! If Fernandes loses interest, they will be the next Portsmouth.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And then it will be dragged through the courts, by which time they will probably be back in the Premiership.
The Football League is (I presume) some sort of members club, and they make their own rules and have the final say. You can't just have clubs taking them to court where we don't know who is in each division. The FL could just refuse QPR entry and then the season starts with them not in it, and I can't see how else it would work, as it's the FL rules.

Just like which club got relegated from the Championship - if it had been Rotherham, are we suggesting they could have taken it to court, and we'd have started next season with an extra club in the division while we waited for the court case? And what if it had been Brighton relegated, could we have taken them to court for not being able to replay our game with Rotherham?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The rules are a bit messy.

If your current wage bill is £30 million, you can raise it to £52m plus £4m a year plus anything else earned from non TV sources. Whether this will continue from 2016/17 when the new TV deal kicks in is uncertain.

The PL is making a profit collectively in 2013/14 due mainly to TV revenues, not FFP. It's in the interests of the club owners (12 of whom are foreign) to cap wages as it means more money for themselves. Football is no longer being seen as a vanity purchase but as a business in which you can make money. The PL allows a £105m loss over three seasons under its FFP rules, which isn't particularly challenging for most clubs.

The Championship is another case altogether though.

Interesting, thanks. Is the wage cap at 52m not part of FFP though, or was it a separate regulation that the PL drew up alongside FFP? To me the fact that only 3 clubs made a loss in that season shows a signal of intent that they do want to get their house in order (well most anyway) which I doubt would have happened without FFP.

Indeed re the Championship and the gap with the PL is only going to get bigger.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The Football League is (I presume) some sort of members club, and they make their own rules and have the final say. You can't just have clubs taking them to court where we don't know who is in each division. The FL could just refuse QPR entry and then the season starts with them not in it, and I can't see how else it would work, as it's the FL rules.

Just like which club got relegated from the Championship - if it had been Rotherham, are we suggesting they could have taken it to court, and we'd have started next season with an extra club in the division while we waited for the court case? And what if it had been Brighton relegated, could we have taken them to court for not being able to replay our game with Rotherham?
QPR have announced this morning that they are taking legal proceedings to challenge the FFP rule.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
QPR have announced this morning that they are taking legal proceedings to challenge the FFP rule.
Football League should simply set a date, like 2nd week of June, and QPR have to have settled by then, or they will not be allowed in the League next year, and the league will inform each club that's to be promoted a division. For example, each team that lose the play off final will be promoted. QPR will of course be allowed to continue a lengthy court case, but in the meantime, they will not be playing in the league. See what QPR think about that.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
Lets hope the Football league stand firm and make them pay the full fine. They bought two promotions, Not really much to like about QPR at present IMO.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Football League should simply set a date, like 2nd week of June, and QPR have to have settled by then, or they will not be allowed in the League next year, and the league will inform each club that's to be promoted a division. For example, each team that lose the play off final will be promoted. QPR will of course be allowed to continue a lengthy court case, but in the meantime, they will not be playing in the league. See what QPR think about that.
Not that simple once the legal system gets involved. The league will probably bottle it - it would be likely to cost loads of money in legal fees, and chaos would be caused by not being able to bring out the fixture lists on time.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

I hope they win.

Which would mean that FFP would officially fall apart for all, instead of some clubs religiously sticking to it, and others intent on busting it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not that simple once the legal system gets involved.
I think you're guessing (as am I) and I don't think you're right. The legal process means nothing until it's finished. If QPR are kicked out, then presumably the place is given to someone else, and that other team needs to be told.

The rules are the rules, and while QPR can challenge them, the League has to get on with things in the meantime.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Negotiations have been taking place since October. Fernandes has been very bullish about their chances of staying up, and has employed very expensive lawyers to fight his case as he doesn't want to give £58 million to charity.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Negotiations on what? They failed FFP, they did exactly the opposite of what the FFP was designed to do, there can be absolutely no legal case for it.

Chuck them out of the league, the cheats.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Not sure but I can't remember the League or FA being challenged in court and losing. The League is a members only organization (used to be top 2 divisions full, members and lower, associates , may have changed) Anyway all the articles of association etc are voted on and agreed. If a club steps out of the agreed rules they are subjected to penalties again agreed. QPR have done this plain and simple, there's no restriction of trade, they can continue as a football club but not in the League unless they pay the fine. The League just doesn't have a case to answer it's open and shut.

If I was Bloom I'd seriously consider letting the League know that Brighton will refuse to play QPR unless the full fine is paid, I'm sure he'll get the backing of all the others who have taken FFP seriously. Time to stand up to these tossers.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I think you're guessing (as am I) and I don't think you're right. The legal process means nothing until it's finished. If QPR are kicked out, then presumably the place is given to someone else, and that other team needs to be told.

The rules are the rules, and while QPR can challenge them, the League has to get on with things in the meantime.

I'm not up on employment law but I don't think the FL would be able to, effectively, terminate the contracts of employed professionals owing to the behaviour of their employer. I'd imagine there would be monumental legal strife for the FL if they went that route.

EDIT - That's not to mention the other non-playing staff they employ.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I think it will be a minimal fine 5/10 million and banned from making transfers in Jan, they won't be banned from the summer window as they have no players left.

They won't be able to do anything as I imagine forest will sue the league

They won't be chucked out the league, nor will there be a fine over 10 million

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I'm not up on employment law but I don't think the FL would be able to, effectively, terminate the contracts of employed professionals owing to the behaviour of their employer. I'd imagine there would be monumental legal strife for the FL if they went that route.

EDIT - That's not to mention the other non-playing staff they employ.

But they would not be terminating anyone's contract. QPR could still be a football club just not a member of the Football League. Perhaps the Scottish would like them.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I think it will be a minimal fine 5/10 million and banned from making transfers in Jan, they won't be banned from the summer window as they have no players left.

They won't be able to do anything as I imagine forest will sue the league

They won't be chucked out the league, nor will there be a fine over 10 million

Whys that? They broke the rules and the consequences are well known, there's not any leeway. If they attempted to alter it, it would need an EGM I'd imagine to get the other clubs to agree to the changes.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Whys that? They broke the rules and the consequences are well known, there's not any leeway. If they attempted to alter it, it would need an EGM I'd imagine to get the other clubs to agree to the changes.

Because the football league are utterly gutless.

They will try and keep everyone happy, by doing that the only people that will be happy are QPR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here