Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Naylor sticks the knife in - and he's right

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
If Bloom was only interested in property firstly why would you spend such a vast sum which is unlikely to yield a return and could easily have been put into property projects elsewhere for a much better return?and also So why does Bloom go to home AND AWAY games then? Especially by train where he is approached by fans?

How many games did someone like Bill Archer attend? - now there is a person who had no interest in football.

I agree with you. I am sure that Tony Bloom is very enthusiastic about football and the Albion. But he does need to surround himself with more people who have wide knowledge of the former and deep love for the latter.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Three centre backs with two wing backs is fast becoming the height of fashion and but for a mong-tastic performance by Greer we'd have held Watford using it.

TWO centre backs with two pushed up full backs, JFC and Gardner holding and the remainder managing to isolate a lone striker, is, however, lunacy. Something you're luckily acquainted with.

Its still daft. Four players can cover the width of the pitch. Push both full backs up and even a useless team can boot the ball into the gap and create an opportunity.

There is a way to play five at the back though. One of the centre halves can push up into midfield when required leaving four at the back.

Watford never threatened us on the wings. Greer did look very vulnerable to Deeney though, especially at corners.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
He sure 'stuck the knife into' Jones, Garcia, Hyypia and 'a handful of senior pros' in his Boro match report on Monday, re: Albion's decline since Poyet.

tta2142_cowboy_trail_trick_knife__69134-323x520.jpg

Green Man

Dec 22, 2014
BN2
TWO centre backs with two pushed up full backs, JFC and Gardner holding and the remainder managing to isolate a lone striker, is, however, lunacy.

Sometimes it looked even worse than that, I thought. I seem to remember on numerous occasions JFC and Crofts would drop back to cover the space while Bruno and Bennett bombed forward, thus leaving a big hole in the middle of the park and preventing Crofts, our best offensive midfielder before he was crocked again, from getting up to support our attacks.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Whenever a Naylor article is posted on here, people always say "he's right for once".

Seriously, when was the last time Naylor wrote an article anyone actually disagreed with? When are people going to wake up to the fact that Naylor is a perfectly reasonable local sports hack?

His analysis is good, if a little obvious but, that said, he doesn't get much wrong. He's not exactly blessed with a turn of phrase though.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I agree with you. I am sure that Tony Bloom is very enthusiastic about football and the Albion. But he does need to surround himself with more people who have wide knowledge of the former and deep love for the latter.

I keep reading this and I can never understand it ?
The club is full of senior staff who love the Albion and are lifelong fans and/or people who've worked in football all their life so clearly have a wide knowledge of the game (even if you dispute their effectiveness) .
So who ? And Why ?

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Whenever a Naylor article is posted on here, people always say "he's right for once".

Seriously, when was the last time Naylor wrote an article anyone actually disagreed with? When are people going to wake up to the fact that Naylor is a perfectly reasonable local sports hack?

At the time I really didn't agree with the article he wrote defending Oscar. It seemed to be entirely based upon one source "close to Oscar" and pretty light on facts. There was some interesting counter information provided on this very site. However, with the benefit of a whole season of hindsight he was spot on.

I found Naylor unnecessarily negative during much of Poyet's reign, like he was jealous that the success, charisma and eventual falling out was sending writers from the Nationals down on a regular basis. It's taken us to have a very poor season for Andy to start chiming with the fans again. IMHO of course.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It's plain to see that neither of them have any interest in football at all,Bloom is just using the Albion to increase a property portfolio,as for Barber,I'm ****ed if I know what his motive is.

It's plain to see there's no evidence for this whatsoever. You might want to dispute their effectiveness or just don't like them but suggesting they're not interested in football is ludicrous..Barber has worked in football for decades, and even coached football at one point. Bloom has been a lifelong supporter of the Albion and still treks up and down the country watching 0-0 draws. They're both very keen on football. Bloom has spent £205m on it, money he will never recoup and he's the worst property developer in history if you think that the Amex, Academy etc are purely attempts to build a profitable real esate portfolio.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Not enough care and attention went into the appointment of Hyypia. His character should have been taken into account. He is not a leader, proved by his attitude at Liverpool as a player. Interviewed on local radio, whilst at BHA, he admitted he let others take control. On the touchline, at the Amex, he writhed and squirmed and clenched his hands but did nothing to raise spirits on the field. He stuck rigidly to a gameplan that wasn't working and only made changes when pressurised by Jones. At 'drinks breaks ' he made no contact with players, whilst the animated Jones desperately tried to rally the troops. He was a walking disaster and the signs were there from early on. By the end of October he was already a busted flush and should have gone in the November international break. It was only the tepid win v Wigan that delayed the inevitable.
Questions should have been asked about his side's dramatic loss of form at Leverkusen. They would have then found out that players lost all confidence in him, tried desperately to suggest that a change of tactics might work and were politely told that no change was necessary.
The man is not particularly intelligent. He is as dull as dishwater and lacks any man-management skills. In short, it was a staggeringly inept appointment. He will never make a football manager. He's not cut out for it. He hasn't got it in him. He was wrestling with his own demons at BHA. Every bone in his body was telling him that he wasn't cut out for this. He fought on until eventually the internal pressure was too much and he walked away. If he is seriously thinking of another managerial post, then he needs professional advice to steer him in another direction.
As for David Burke, well, words fail me. I can only assume that the man interviewed well. He was employed well above his station in life. His reputation goes before him in football. He is arrogant in his dealings with people and lacks the depth of football knowledge and experience to carry a club forward. Again, it was an amazingly poor appointment and these two have probably set our club back five years in development.
We are now playing catch-up. Hughton is a safe pair of hands and with the right support in recruitment, we can consolidate next season. We have a hell of a lot to thank Tony Bloom for, but not, I'm afraid, for these two.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Not enough care and attention went into the appointment of Hyypia. His character should have been taken into account. He is not a leader, proved by his attitude at Liverpool as a player. Interviewed on local radio, whilst at BHA, he admitted he let others take control. On the touchline, at the Amex, he writhed and squirmed and clenched his hands but did nothing to raise spirits on the field. He stuck rigidly to a gameplan that wasn't working and only made changes when pressurised by Jones. At 'drinks breaks ' he made no contact with players, whilst the animated Jones desperately tried to rally the troops. He was a walking disaster and the signs were there from early on. By the end of October he was already a busted flush and should have gone in the November international break. It was only the tepid win v Wigan that delayed the inevitable.
Questions should have been asked about his side's dramatic loss of form at Leverkusen. They would have then found out that players lost all confidence in him, tried desperately to suggest that a change of tactics might work and were politely told that no change was necessary.
The man is not particularly intelligent. He is as dull as dishwater and lacks any man-management skills. In short, it was a staggeringly inept appointment. He will never make a football manager. He's not cut out for it. He hasn't got it in him. He was wrestling with his own demons at BHA. Every bone in his body was telling him that he wasn't cut out for this. He fought on until eventually the internal pressure was too much and he walked away. If he is seriously thinking of another managerial post, then he needs professional advice to steer him in another direction.
As for David Burke, well, words fail me. I can only assume that the man interviewed well. He was employed well above his station in life. His reputation goes before him in football. He is arrogant in his dealings with people and lacks the depth of football knowledge and experience to carry a club forward. Again, it was an amazingly poor appointment and these two have probably set our club back five years in development.
We are now playing catch-up. Hughton is a safe pair of hands and with the right support in recruitment, we can consolidate next season. We have a hell of a lot to thank Tony Bloom for, but not, I'm afraid, for these two.

Absolutely spot on post in it's entirety. Don't disagree with one point.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I'm still not convinced that SH "fell on his sword". I think, publicly, the board were backing him but privately they were negotiating with him to leave; give him the chance to quit before being sacked.

Pure speculation on my part but there is a big part of me that's hoping beyond belief that the people in charge of this club weren't so blinded by 'statistics' as to ignore the farce going on all around them.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Was less than impressed with the appointment of Hyppia. When his assistant said he wasnt coming with him I started to really fear. Onwards and upwards now. Hopefully.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here