Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton: Summer search has started

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
This is part of his comments on the Brighton website.

" Plus at this particular moment all 5 loan players go back to their respective clubs. We have to look at the option wev'e got, but I'd like to think the players that have come in have put enough in my mind to become part of the option we have "

If that is his judgement on the players that we need for next season,then in my opinion it is going to be same old same old.

Rapidly losing faith in his management and judgement abilities.

Think I will be going to church this evening, the first time in 50 years.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

" Plus at this particular moment all 5 loan players go back to their respective clubs. We have to look at the option wev'e got, but I'd like to think the players that have come in have put enough in my mind to become part of the option we have "

If that is his judgement on the players that we need for next season,then in my opinion it is going to be same old same old.

Say a little prayer for me:wink:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Sounds quite vague, to me. The five loanees will have done enough for him to consider them. He isn't saying we will target them as first choice, just that he would keep them in mind while looking at building his squad. The five he is speaking of would be

Bennett - we did let a lot of goals in down his side, but he has also done well, comparatively. Left back can be a troublesome area to find a great player in, so of course you're going to consider the player who spent last season in that position for you
Halford - His throws became a part of our arsenal, has shown flexibility in position, and such a player is useful to have on the bench to provide options
Teixeira - I think most fans would be happy if we could get him back for another year.
Carayol - Didn't get up to full match fitness with us, but wasn't a disaster, worth considering
Best - erm...

Hardly alarming comments.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
If he really does think that Leon Best has done enough to consider him an 'option' for next year, then I don't want him managing this club.

Harsh, I know, but that would suggest to me he is completely and utterly clueless.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
" I'd like to think the players that have come in have put enough in my mind to become part of the option we have "

Oh dear noooooooo :ffsparr:

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
FFS! I'm glad this season is over, everything being said by everyone at the club is being interpreted as something negative on here, one shrewd summer signing and everyone's attitudes will change.

Juror#13

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
I know I sound like a broken record but Best is Hughtons no1 target. Wish these prozac tabs will hurry up and arrive.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
Sounds quite vague, to me. The five loanees will have done enough for him to consider them. He isn't saying we will target them as first choice, just that he would keep them in mind while looking at building his squad. The five he is speaking of would be

Bennett - we did let a lot of goals in down his side, but he has also done well, comparatively. Left back can be a troublesome area to find a great player in, so of course you're going to consider the player who spent last season in that position for you
Halford - His throws became a part of our arsenal, has shown flexibility in position, and such a player is useful to have on the bench to provide options
Teixeira - I think most fans would be happy if we could get him back for another year.
Carayol - Didn't get up to full match fitness with us, but wasn't a disaster, worth considering
Best - erm

Bennet by your admission let a lot of goals in down the left hand side. Not a good left back.
Halford yes got a good throw in but was easily turned on 3 occasions for opponents goals.
Tex one good game in 6, too leightweight gives up easily.
Carayol best of the bunch, but tied up by Boro so not an option.
Best I think 20 odd thousand support me and you on this one.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Also, you don't want people to think you're desperate for them. If we have options in mind, or appear to have options in mind, we might be able to drive a harder bargain than if a player knows we have to get him.

And come next season when we need one or two long term loans, perhaps it will help to show willingness to sign them long term - a club might be more inclined to loan to us if they think they'll be able to offload the player at the end of the deal, a player might see us as a way out of their club

And a degree of politeness. Like the loan signing who says they'd definitely be open to making the move permanent when they have no intention of dropping down a division or two.

There' nothing worth creating a stink over in those comments.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Blackburn will probably need Best next season ( Hopefully ) as it would seem that they need to sell both Rhodes and Gestede in an attempt to balance their books for FFP, even then though they are still some way short

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

CH and the club are just trying to manage expectations because he doesn't know how much of the ones he doesn't want, he won't be able to get people to take them off his hands. He knows a big overhaul is needed , he just doesn't know what he is going to be left with

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Best - erm...

Hardly alarming comments.
Bennett - not the greatest - but to be fair we are sort of comparing him to Bridge and Ward. May be simply the best option we get for left back. Not if we have to pay over the odds, though. Hope we can find a better LB, but wouldn't be heartbroken if he comes back.
Halford - His throws became a part of our arsenal, has shown flexibility in position, and such a player is useful to have on the bench to provide options. Agree - doubt is whether he'll want to come here to be a squad player / bench-warmer.
Teixeira - Yes please, if at all possible! Season long loan any day, thank you very much.
Carayol - Gone back to M'bro, new contract, on the bench yesterday; don't think he'll be an option.
Best - Will Blackburn be able to spare him? Hope not!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Best - erm

Bennet by your admission let a lot of goals in down the left hand side. Not a good left back.
Halford yes got a good throw in but was easily turned on 3 occasions for opponents goals.
Best I think 20 odd thousand support me and you on this one

Spot on, in particular the comments about Bennett and Tex.

If I HAD to have one of those, it would be Halford as a sub.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
It is all about money. Bennett, Halford and Tex all have limitations but are useful and know our set up. If we can get them at low/reasonable cost, it can free up funds for elsewhere. As he says in the article, the priority is creativity and finishing which is the costly end of a team.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
unless we want to go back to 70's football can we forget about Halford's long throws. How far he can throw a ball shouldn't be a consideration in his ability as a footballer.

What else do people expect Hughton to say.....blah blah is crap and I'd wouldn't sigh him again, I'm willing to break the bank to get blah blah.

come on, everything said at this time of year says nothing (John Carver excepted)

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Best - erm

Best I think 20 odd thousand support me and you on this one.

Is the correct assessment for all five. I don't want to see any of them at this club next season.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
we made the play offs with Oscar and yet we could not tie up the signing of Ward.
we finished 20th with this lot so I hope we have the same success rate... do not want any of them back...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here