Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How would you rate Chris Hughton so far?

How would you rate Chris Hughton so far?

• Excellent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Very good

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Good

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • Average

Votes: 77 43.5%
  • Poor

Votes: 47 26.6%
  • Very poor

Votes: 18 10.2%
  • Abysmal

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Average. needs a chance to recruit who he wants in the summer, then judgement can properly be passed...

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Dedicated at defending I will give you that, he is also dedicated at producing some of the most boring football to be played at the Albion, I to am a lifelong supporter but don't feel the need to market it in my username.
He was pants let's make no mistake, he knew the budget and the task and he got lucky, without the robbing of Derby and Blackburn who knows where we would be.
Get rid now and let's not let the guy send the AMEX to sleep and put us in the bottom half next season.

Good on you, another quality post, well done !!!!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Below par, for me. A league table since he came in would have us 17th. Being better than Hyypia is not enough and neither would 17th be for this club in this division. Even worse is the lack of goals, since Hughton arrived the only team to score less goals than us is Wigan. Yes, our strikers are poor but where is the experimentation to improve our attacking threat? If we are insistent on one up front, how about two proper wingers supplying the lone front man? Nope, subbing Carayol for Lua Lua was one of his favourite pointless substitutions. Play two up front? Only when we are desperate at the end of games. The move to five at the back gave a prime opportunity to play two up top. Wing backs providing width, solid three in the middle with Stephens/Kayal breaking forward and two strikers. What do we get instead? Carayol or Lua Lua playing central looking like they have no idea where they are supposed to be playing.

He is in credit for the improvement in defense, but that was inevitable after Hyypia's ideological fallibility. Just telling the full backs to stay back was all that was needed, and I don't think there is a single person on here who did not know that. I'm in the Hughton out camp because he has shown little to impress me thus far. The performances against Ipswich and his clever tactics v Leeds are the exceptions but there have been far more negative tactical decisions that for me are not good enough for a manager that we are led to believe is a smart tactician.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
He has done nothing special, but we have stayed up. We lost it totally the last month or so and that is a tiny bit worrying.

I actually think it was good the way he handled Tilley. I saw his tweet about his debut. He doesn't seem to be moaning about being on for 5 seconds, and seems to be really happy about the whole experience.

Can you imagine if he got on for 30 mins and missed a sitter or winning goal or something, he would have the whole summer to dwell on it. Instead he is buzzing because he made his debut and he has all summer to feel that achievement.

Completely disagree about Tilley. Yesterday Milawall subbed on Jamie Philpot for the last 10mins, an 18 year old who signed for them last Thursday, and he scored with his first touch.

Harris "delighted" for debut star Philpot http://www.millwallfc.co.uk/news/article/wolves-4-2-millwall-neil-harris-jamie-philpot-2435994.aspx

5 seconds playing time without even touching the ball was an awful decision and Hughton signed off this season with an anticlimax. Any belief and hope I had of him as a manager went out the window in that instant. I am giving him a generous poor.

Last edited:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I'm shocked that some think he has done a good or better job. I can't belive that bloom would have said survival at all costs and don't worry about scoring goals or wasting money on pointless loans.
More than prepared to judge Hughton next season, but I have been dissapointed in what he has to do date.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Completely disagree about Tilley. Yesterday Milawall subbed on Jamie Philpot for the last 10mins, an 18 year old who signed for them last Thursday, and he scored with his first touch.

Harris "delighted" for debut star Philpot http://www.millwallfc.co.uk/news/article/wolves-4-2-millwall-neil-harris-jamie-philpot-2435994.aspx

5 seconds playing time without even touching the ball was an awful decision and Hughton signed off this season with an anticlimax. Any belief and hope I had of him as a manager went out the window in that instant. I am giving him a generous poor.

Try telling James Tilley that he should be disappointed at only getting on for 5 seconds. What are the odds on a youngster scoring with his first touch? Surely if Tilley spends the summer feeling proud that he has made his debut and gains confidence from it, then how is it a bad decision in the grand scheme of things?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Try telling James Tilley that he should be disappointed at only getting on for 5 seconds. What are the odds on a youngster scoring with his first touch? Surely if Tilley spends the summer feeling proud that he has made his debut and gains confidence from it, then how is it a bad decision in the grand scheme of things?

What's the chance of scoring in 5 seconds?

I am sure he is delighted, he also got to share the team bath. It's a bit like celebrating being old enough to drink with a glass of water.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
What's the chance of scoring in 5 seconds?

I am sure he is delighted, he also got to share the team bath. It's a bit like celebrating being old enough to drink with a glass of water.
We have to know what Houghtons motivations were for including Tilley in the squad. If it was for the experience then Houghton has done nothing wrong. It was the perfect weekend for him, isn't that all that matters? Perhaps people should look at it from the perspective of a 16 year old player progressing through the ranks rather than a player coming on for 5 seconds.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Needs to be given time to build his own team, can all the FM disciples give it a rest and give him a chance as the game he is playing is for real

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
We avoided relegation by 6 points so some credit for tightening our defence most go to him. The rest is left to ponder.

He had to rely on keeping clean sheets to pick up points due to our strikers failure so job done

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Defence is just organisation but attack needs flair and the right attitude. So for me OK but not really enthused.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I've gone "Good". He has kept us up, by whatever means necessary.

He inherited a poorly assembled squad without good balance or depth, and we gave him very few genuine options to try and change things. He'll be given the freedom of the window to do what he wants, and I have NO DOUBT he'll assemble a top 10 team next season and we'll have a few good spells as well as bad, but we'll score more goals and we'll be a more rounded team.

I don't think there's even THAT much to do, it's only a couple of wingers, a couple of strikers and keeping people fit. Realistically, however I feel about LuaLua, you put better players around him and for him to aim for, and he can be effective. We have a good balance in central midfield, and good depth. Greer, Dunk and the certain to be retained Halford plus Bruno and Calderon are good enough options at the back and we only need a left back and a new first choice starting centre back short of good options. Stockdale is good enough, but probably going to struggle to keep Walton out next season.

Personally, I want a left back, a centre back, two wingers and two strikers - and I think we'll get all of them and probably one or two others.

Isn't this what we bought or loaned this season? Bennet, Halford & Hughes,Bennett, Baldock & O'Grady. What you seek is probably in the region of £7m and then begs the question who is going to come here? Oh, we might get Best permanently and any other key signings that GH wants to bring in, but he has set out his style of play and next season is of concern to me. Lennon took over at Bolton and had them scoring goals taking them out of the relegation zone, so lets not let the manager off the hook by blaming the players,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here