Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Qpr & ffp

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
The punishment applying to a promoted 2013/14 Championship clubs is clear: Club pays Fair Play Tax (FPT) (with all proceeds going to charity).

The FPT amounts are:
£6,681,000 + full amount of anything over the allowed £8million (eg. if loss is £30 million then the extra tax will be £22million) = total of £28,681,000 to be paid to charity.

Anyone know what happens if the tax is not paid?

Last edited:

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Assume you meant that ironically as no one ever seems to be punished by the rules at the time for FFP, they just change or bend them. Weren't QPR supposed to be relegated to League 1 under FFP if they went down this year?

This.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
The punishment applying to a promoted 2013/14 Championship clubs is clear: Club pays Fair Play Tax (FPT) (with all proceeds going to charity).

The FPT amounts are:
£6,681,000 + full amount of anything over the allowed £8million (eg. if loss is £30 million then the extra tax will be £22million) = total of £26,681,000 to be paid to charity.

Anyone know what happens if the tax is not paid?

Plus a years interest

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The rules as they stand would mean QPR have to pay a fine of over 57m quid to charity. If they do not pay, the FL are within their rights to not allow them back into the Football League (Championship, League 1 or League 2).

The fact that no announcement has been made by the FL regarding the ratification of QPR's outrageous attempts to get around the rules suggest to me that there is an awful lot of arguing going on behind the scenes and the FL are not giving in. As the FL is effectively a members club, I would think that any changes to the rules to accommodate QPR would have to be agreed by the members, hence why this is dragging on. QPR will be relegated, so they need to get it sorted out pdq.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
The rules as they stand would mean QPR have to pay a fine of over 57m quid to charity. If they do not pay, the FL are within their rights to not allow them back into the Football League (Championship, League 1 or League 2).

The fact that no announcement has been made by the FL regarding the ratification of QPR's outrageous attempts to get around the rules suggest to me that there is an awful lot of arguing going on behind the scenes and the FL are not giving in. As the FL is effectively a members club, I would think that any changes to the rules to accommodate QPR would have to be agreed by the members, hence why this is dragging on. QPR will be relegated, so they need to get it sorted out pdq.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Premier League said if the FL won't accept QPR back into the Championship only two can go up.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
25 point penalty at the start of next season?

Whatever happens, I would imagine a lot of clubs will be following this closely.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
FFP however good intentioned, is a complete load of bollox.
In one way or other half of the teams are bent and have lawyers and backs to scratch to always get them out of a deep hole. If we did a Rangers to a few high profile clubs it might turn things around and justify the excuses we get fed about having to balance the books instead of actually achieving anything.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If QPR don't get hit with the £ 57 million fine FFP is dead in the water.

This case wil set a precedent. Their owner has bought promotion by creating debt then writing that debt off. Our 14/15 season was so sh1te partly because of strict adherence to FFP. I fully expect a legal backlash if QPR aren't held to account.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Most clubs would struggle to find the money to pay that much in one go and in all honesty I expect some deal to be done which means that QPR will be playing in the Championship next year. The 57m payment being spread over a number of years, probably directly fed straight from the parachute money they will receive and possibly any TV money they will receive if they return to the Premiership. Should also get a significant points deduction next year.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Most clubs would struggle to find the money to pay that much in one go and in all honesty I expect some deal to be done which means that QPR will be playing in the Championship next year. The 57m payment being spread over a number of years, probably directly fed straight from the parachute money they will receive and possibly any TV money they will receive if they return to the Premiership. Should also get a significant points deduction next year.

Perhaps they should be made to sell the players they couldn't have afforded without breaking the rules?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

If the penalty amount was just the same as the parachute money then there's no real loss. You get to bank the Prem money you made and sell the likes of Charlie Austin for big money because you've played in the Prem.

If QPR are even allowed to match Prem parachute with penalty then they still start with an advantage over other clubs because they'll sell Charlie Austin to Spurs or West Ham for £20 mill plus for the 15 prem goals he's scored.

This needs to be resolved quickly because clubs like us need to see whether they need to play by FFP rules or not. The way it's looking now it's almost worth a chairman spending £15 million and giving it a go because parachute payments would dwarf that sum.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Perhaps they should be made to sell the players they couldn't have afforded without breaking the rules?

Whilst I agree with the sentiments, that would be a double edged sword as it then very much becomes a buyers market. I wouldn't personally want to see QPR thrown out of the league because of the actions of their current ownership as we know from our own history, ownership is transitory. Surely the best solution should be, as well as the fine, the same embargo as Forest, ie one out one in and it continues until the books show they are compliant, with a limit of, I think, £600k (both fee and contract).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here