Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ukip offers legal protection to Christians who oppose same-sex marriage

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Ukip has released a mini-manifesto for Christians, saying it would extend protection to those who want to oppose gay marriage because of their religious beliefs.

The document is published on the websites of some candidates and the election page of Christian Concern, a group that is against abortion and same-sex marriage.

The manifesto for Christians says Ukip would not seek to reverse gay marriage, even though the party was opposed to it being introduced. However, it would offer special protection to those who wanted to object to gay marriage or express other matters of religious conscience in the course of carrying out their jobs.

This could include the Christian owners of a bakery who did not want to bake a Bert and Ernie gay marriage celebration cake or Christian relationship counsellor who wanted to counsel only heterosexual couples.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Another UKIP thread - great

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Ukip has released a mini-manifesto for Christians, saying it would extend protection to those who want to oppose gay marriage because of their religious beliefs.

The document is published on the websites of some candidates and the election page of Christian Concern, a group that is against abortion and same-sex marriage.

The manifesto for Christians says Ukip would not seek to reverse gay marriage, even though the party was opposed to it being introduced. However, it would offer special protection to those who wanted to object to gay marriage or express other matters of religious conscience in the course of carrying out their jobs.

This could include the Christian owners of a bakery who did not want to bake a Bert and Ernie gay marriage celebration cake or Christian relationship counsellor who wanted to counsel only heterosexual couples

This is fine as long as I get legal protection when I tell them that they believe in a fairytale grandfather figure (or figures) in the sky that were thought up by primitive people to attempt to explain the world they live in and that these theories were then exploited by the ruling elite as a means of controlling said primitive beings. It only works one way? Funny that...

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
That's nice of them. Supporting a Middle-Eastern religion that was brought here by foreigners. How very inclusive. They must be softening in their stance. :angel:

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
I don't have a problem with this as long as I, as an atheist, can can refuse the business of anti-gay Christians and Neanderthal UKippers.

It's only fair...

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
What's "gay marriage"? I thought everything was just "marriage", unless we have a "straight marriage" category.

Is there a "bi-marriage" too?

Ferring Marine

Mar 28, 2014

This could include the Christian owners of a bakery who did not want to bake a Bert and Ernie gay marriage celebration cake or Christian relationship counsellor who wanted to counsel only heterosexual couples.

If the owners of the patisserie do not want to create a cake for the homosexual couple Bert and Ernie's wedding (ie 2 chaps getting married) then it's their choice. That's the main argument and everybody has a free choice. Maybe his missus has had something to say about sodomy and she's an avid bible reader and doesn't relate to what they do in private which only animals (and palace fans come to that) seem to do.
UKIP as ever are only stating the truth which all other parties are scared to even think about or admit.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If the owners of the patisserie do not want to create a cake for the homosexual couple Bert and Ernie's wedding (ie 2 chaps getting married) then it's their choice. That's the main argument and everybody has a free choice. Maybe his missus has had something to say about sodomy and she's an avid bible reader and doesn't relate to what they do in private which only animals (and palace fans come to that) seem to do.
UKIP as ever are only stating the truth which all other parties are scared to even think about or admit.

And I guess if a private bus company only wants to take whites - that is their choice, they can have a clear sign 'Whites Only'. Or a shop that doesn't want to serve Jews can put a sign up in the window 'No Jews' - it's their choice. That's how a civilised society works right?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
The issue is force. Using the law to use force against a minority is something that everybody from every background and of every creed, color or sexuality should be against.

Defending the Christians right not to make a cake they don't want to and defending a homosexual persons right to live as they chose are the same thing.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton

Why didn't the bakery owners be professional and give a different more tactful excuse not to bake the cake?

1) It would not have offended the couple and minority grouping
2) They would not have fallen foul of the law
3) Opened to being sued
4) Generated ill feeling and a cynicism toward Christian spirit of tolerance and compassion.

Why do some Christians think because they have a belief in some sky god that it means they are above the law?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
This is fine as long as I get legal protection when I tell them that they believe in a fairytale grandfather figure (or figures) in the sky that were thought up by primitive people to attempt to explain the world they live in and that these theories were then exploited by the ruling elite as a means of controlling said primitive beings. It only works one way? Funny that...

Firstly, you don't need protection for the "fairytale grandfather figure" stuff........ And
Secondly, I hope you don't think that all Christians would go along with this. I most certainly don't, and it's yet another reason not to vote UKIP.
Christian Concern is a group which just deliberately makes trouble and is stuck in the dark ages.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Spot on....Nothing wrong with this and let's be honest we have way to many people now who get offended by anything different.

:lol:

Are you being intentionally stupid, on a wind up or are you just thick? (I know it's ok to say that last one because you're always telling us how you wouldn't be offended by name calling)

The issue is the Christians being offended by something different. So, what exactly do you think is 'spot on'??

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
they should add protection for christians to be racists too. and extend to non-christians while they're at it.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
What is wrong with that?
We do not all follow the herd along the party - line of Political Correctness in twenty first century thinking .. I support freedom of conscience

What's wrong with it is the very dangerous precedent it would set. Argue for the repeal of laws on sexual discrimination by all means but to excuse certain laws for certain groups is not right.

It could be claimed that the law on wearing motorcycle helmets, (or not in the case of Sikhs), set the precedent. Personally I think that exception was also wrong, (if your religious beliefs mean that you are unable to comply with certain regulations in order to carry out a particular activity then simply don't take part in the activity). At least though in the case of wearing a helmet it is the individual who suffers any subsequent consequences.

As others have said where do you draw the line in the amendment proposed by UKIP. Should taxi drivers be able to refuse a fare from Jews or gays. Should teachers be able to refuse to teach gay pupils? What about a football chairman refusing entry to gay supporters? ???

Laws to ensure that people of any sexual preference have equal rights is NOT political correctness - they are simply just. I don't see how it can be argued that reducing the duties of one minority that diminishes the rights of another can be supported by anyone who believes in democracy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here