Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hang your heads in shame...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Bruno is the worse crosser of a ball I have ever seen and Calde isn't much better. As for Bennett, words fail me. Lots of shots off target suggests inadequacy to me. This season , we have watched JFC, Gardner, Stephens, Crofts, Ince, Tex etc all get into good shooting positions and waste the opportunities.
Our midfielders are slow to get into the box and simply too much pressure is put on our front men. When the odd scant chance comes along and our strikers fail to convert, its their fault every time because they are useless. ( according to many )
No, we beg to differ. The main problem is service to the front-men.

So, if CMS & Best had better service, they'd have scored 20 goals each? Righty oh!

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Glen Murray struggled in his first season at Palace, how many were calling him crap, questioning the recruitment process, claimed they were lied to by the club, etc.....

Did they stick by him and support him and he then came good in his second season? (helped by 2 good wingers in Bolaise and Zaha, providing the chances for him which was something we may not have been able to do ourselves had he stayed with us)

How about we give our players a clean sheet, and start over and get behind them and support them again next season (something i felt has been lacking this season, team and fans feel divided and the fans never fully supportive of the team (which hasn't worked out very well for us now has it)

Spot on. It has been a disjointed season, mainly due to poor tactics from Hyppia, which confused and demoralised the players in equal measure. We need a few players but if we had had a forward who could score 15-20 goals this season might have been quite different.

The sad aspect for me has been how quickly some sections of the crowd (especially at home) have turned on the team. They are not the greatest but they play for our team. Its time to get behind them. The best experience of the season for me was away at Fulham. Everyone was together that night. we need to try and replicate that next season.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
' Amazingly talented '....wow thats quite some compliment. I assume you are putting him in the Mourinho, Ancellotti, Ferguson, Clough, Shankly bracket or then again, maybe you just got a little bit carried away.
He has done well but is still young and time will tell whether he has special ability. He may just be a ' one club ' man who has a particular affinity with Bournemouth. Fan, player, manager. It has a fairy tale ring to it. He didn't rip up trees at Burnley and there are still questions as to why he walked out on them to go back to a smaller club. Maybe he was out of his comfort zone. Maybe he realised he had made a mistake. His heart is at Bournemouth and maybe he wants to spend his whole career there.
As far as his persona is concerned, I think he can come across as smug and arrogant. Personally, I felt he let himself down when he was here with Burnley and they struggled to beat our nine men. He was ungracious and his complete failure to acknowledge that the game had changed completely was very poor.
He has managed to get the maximum out of a lot of journeyman players this season and all credit to him for that. Now he really has to prove himself.

Too many maybes and a hint of sour grapes in that one Mo. Comparing him with the greatest managers of the last 50 years ? Wow now you've moved that on a bit. Ask around Bournemouth - they're happy enough - and look at the facts and I'm still quite happy with 'amazingly'. You don't like him and that's fine - a lot of people don't - and I he might not have the sort of personality to manage at the very top clubs but that takes nothing away from his achievements of late.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Bournemouth sold their top striker for £5m+ last season and replaced him for a couple of million with a striker who was the 2nd top scorer in League One. (we all know who was the top scorer) Sound famililar.
Palace, a few seasons ago, bought a striker in the summer from L1 on a free who only scored 7 goals in his first season and wanted to sell /swap him back with his original club. Fans didn't warm to him. Next season he scored 30...and you know the rest.
Nearly all the top championship scorers this season have been free transfers, small fees to L1 clubs or loans.
Ask Fulham if they got good value out of Ross McCormack.

Ask me again if spending all the Ulloa money on an £8m forward line would have guaranteed anything.
And even if your playing budget is in the top 10 or thereabouts of clubs in the Championship, it doesn't actually guarantee you a place in the top 6. We spent. We spent badly. We go again.
The good thing is that we are selling Colunga, and look to be selling COG, so 1.5 - 2 million of last year's striker outlay is coming back for us to try again.

Let's hope the new Ulloa we are hunting for on the continent is as excellent as Leo.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
It wasn't the fans that coined the phrase 'Premier League Ready' and it wasn't the fans writing in the programme every week that we should all spend more money on a match day so that the playing squad could be added to and quality signings brought in.

I'm quite happy to be mid table in the Championship for a few seasons and build slowly but it was the club who raised the bar with the above statements and they then failed to deliver on their promise.

As had been said many, many times on NSC the 'Premier League ready' quote was directed at club staff and was referring to the infrastructure of the club. It did not mean that we had a Premier League team and we have never been promised promotion.

The dream and the hype that you talk about in previous posts are of our own making. We have been provided with a fantastic stadium and we put two and two together and made 22. Ambition and expectation are two very different things. TB expressed the ambitions and we turned them into promises, guarantees and expectations, not him.

As far as I'm concerned, the only club promise concerning on-the-pitch matters that I've been made is that my match ticket entitles me to sit in my seat and watch 90 minutes of football. Not good or successful football, just football ... and that's football!

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
As had been said many, many times on NSC the 'Premier League ready' quote was directed at club staff and was referring to the infrastructure of the club. It did not mean that we had a Premier League team and we have never been promised promotion.

The dream and the hype that you talk about in previous posts are of our own making. We have been provided with a fantastic stadium and we put two and two together and made 22. Ambition and expectation are two very different things. TB expressed the ambitions and we turned them into promises, guarantees and expectations, not him.

As far as I'm concerned, the only club promise concerning on-the-pitch matters that I've been made is that my match entitles me to sit in my seat and watch 90 minutes of football. Not good or successful football, just football ... and that's football!

Pretty much this I reckon :thumbsup:

Off the pitch, things are right up there. On it we a quite a few years away yet. Won't please the 'instant success' merchants but there you go.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Could have been a blessing in disguise as the board now know we need a team rebuild ,whereas if we had been mid table it could have been same old same old with what we had.
We are a good club and one bad season does not make us a bad one .

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
He made 5 appearances for the club, scored twice, had the ball in a net for a third which should have been given and although he looked unfit at first , looked like an expensive clinical striker. A bit like Ulloa in fact.

Tell that to all the people who were not-unhappy to see him leave, saying that he wasn't working hard enough or wasn't worth the money.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Bruno is the worse crosser of a ball I have ever seen .

If you have been going to the Albion for more than a few seasons then that statement would invalidate any reasonable points you have made in any of your posts. Not that you've done that in this particular thread of course.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Just checked back on the emails from the club concerning the renewing of my season ticket and definetly no promises of promtion next season. Just thought I'd let some people know.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
So, if CMS & Best had better service, they'd have scored 20 goals each? Righty oh!

Idiot. No one is suggesting that but just go and watch any of the free scoring teams in this league play. Look at how bournemouth move the ball around the midfield and look at how Burnley did it last year. - Compare it even to us under Poyet 11/12. Now go and watch us today. Bruno receives the ball and stands on it for a minimum of 3 seconds, LuaLua does the exact same thing. We have played large parts of the season with a single recognised winger who at best blows hot and cold, we've generally played with 2 very defensive minded midfielders (but still regularly shipped goals because both our full-backs are defensively weak) so very few people in the middle of the park have the nous or the confidence to pick a quality defence-splitting pass nor to get forwards quickly. Our delivery from out wide is appalling. We might as well not bother with set pieces... we've been playing with an aged right back as a right winger for heavens sake, and he's been one of our more creative players!

How on earth anyone on this board can seriously look at this team and come to the conclusion that the only thing it is missing right now is a better striker to make it competitive I really do not know. Blinkers I guess.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
U

Somebody pointed out that Bournemouth, when scoring a goal, had three or four players in the area, whereas we're lucky if we have one. It's so easy for teams to nullify us.

Oh right so you DO agree? :shrug:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I could be wrong but maybe there is a split in our fanbase between long in the tooth older fans (me) who have seen A LOT of crap over the years and can put this season into context and our younger / newer fans who have not!
But like you, the OP is one of the older fans who's been through the ups and downs, but you feel you can put the season into context, he cannot.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Bournemouth sold their top striker for £5m+ last season and replaced him for a couple of million with a striker who was the 2nd top scorer in League One. (we all know who was the top scorer) Sound famililar.
Palace, a few seasons ago, bought a striker in the summer from L1 on a free who only scored 7 goals in his first season and wanted to sell /swap him back with his original club. Fans didn't warm to him. Next season he scored 30...and you know the rest.
Nearly all the top championship scorers this season have been free transfers, small fees to L1 clubs or loans.

Ask me again if spending all the Ulloa money on an £8m forward line would have guaranteed anything.
And even if your playing budget is in the top 10 or thereabouts of clubs in the Championship, it doesn't actually guarantee you a place in the top 6. We spent. We spent badly. We go again.
Such wise words.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
To those saying we don't have a divine right...I didn't say we did.

I said the powers that be fu**ed up and having sold us the 'dream' did not back it up in any way, shape or form. The fact a club like Bournemouth can do it just makes it a lot more annoying that we failed to 'have a go' which we haven't. It's more a case of how badly managed we have been from the very top.
but have the powers to be fu**ed up though?. No we have no divine right to succeed, neither have Leeds, Norwich, Birmingham, Derby, Middlesbrough, Sheffield Wednesday, Bolton, Nottingham Forest, etc etc etc all bigger clubs with ambition year in year out to improve on what they have achieved. This only highlights what a magnificent achievement it is Bournemouth going up being the small club they are and best of luck to them. We have had an awful season but swallow stand back and let's get optimistic for next season, just like thousands of supporters of other clubs. That is football.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

:thumbsup:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
but have the powers to be fu**ed up though?. No we have no divine right to succeed, neither have Leeds, Norwich, Birmingham, Derby, Middlesbrough, Sheffield Wednesday, Bolton, Nottingham Forest, etc etc etc all bigger clubs with ambition year in year out to improve on what they have achieved. This only highlights what a magnificent achievement it is Bournemouth going up being the small club they are and best of luck to them. We have had an awful season but swallow stand back and let's get optimistic for next season, just like thousands of supporters of other clubs. That is football.

:thumbsup:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

As far as I'm concerned, the only club promise concerning on-the-pitch matters that I've been made is that my match ticket entitles me to sit in my seat and watch 90 minutes of football. Not good or successful football, just football ... and that's football!

The 'One club One ambition' was painted on the walls of the stadium for everyone to see. It was a stupid crass move by the club, and just as bad as Premier League ready.
The Premier League ready motto may have only been for club staff, but obviously someone in the club thought it was a ridiculous one for it to have leaked so easily.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here