Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where to start the rebuild.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Just a caller who mentioned he had heard it within the club, obviously an older person as he spoke well of the 5 from 64/65 winning side.

It's called "fold" in poker

Good luck with this one, I'll leave you to it and have a look tomorrow

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It was suggested by Robert on Radio Sussex phone in that this has been spoken about at the club. I am not certain eiither way for sacking him or keeping him but whatever I hope they make a decision within the next 7 days.
I have good news for you BG - the club have made their decision, and decided that Hughton is staying. That's 7 days earlier than even you hoped!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
OK hands up who are you Robert.
and don't lets have any of that Sparticus shite

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
But we can't go an entire season with just one decent striker, and you haven't included a creative play-maker in your list either. We need to spend a significant chunk of our budget on a couple of strikers and a play-maker, and there won't be much left for your other wishes.

How do you figure there are none about? Are you a professional scout that has scoured every league in Europe? And what is our price and wage bracket?

Most clubs have 1 main striker who is supported by others as per Deeney Watford, Martin Derby Murphy Ipswich Bamford Middlesbro so 1 decent one would be a start.

The playmakers I would look at if they get promoted via play offs is Elliott Bennett and Bradley Johnson of Norwich or Lewis McGuggan. or even Watford No 5 on loan from palace Guedioura now Wtford are promoted.
Back to the 2 problems CB and striker.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
There's a lot to be encouraged by as Brighton out possessed a promotion outfit in that first half today. If COG had a talented forward playing off him things would have been different. The forward line has distracted from what is a lower half championship defence - the full backs haven't got the breadth of skills and central defence prone to elementary mistakes. Summer '15 will be interesting.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Yes. I would also like to add that I know as much about the decisions at that level as Robert does.

more so you know his first name
does he know yours?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anyone refusing the solidity of Bob to maintain 'naughty boy' Robert, is not to be trusted.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
In order of priority.

1. 2 new strikers. One target/hold up striker and one prolific scorer. I do think Sam Baldock would get 15+ gaol a season of played as a central striker, in a 442 formation.
2. 2 new wingers. KLL and March are not good enough for top 6.
4. A strong, tough central midfielder to go with Kayal. JFC, Ince (I will get my tin hat) and Stephens not up to it IMO.
5. New LB. Would not be too disappointed of Bennett signed, but would not be too disappointed if he left.
6. New CB to challenge GG and LD. GH not up to the task.
7. New GK. Never feel safe with DS in goal.
8. New RB

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I am a great believer in building from the back 46 clean sheets mean you only have to score I goal in about 30 of the games and hey champions.

which is fair enough (if dull) football philosophy. and if we take a look at the goal against column we see 54, which is a dozen or 20 fewer than most in the bottom half, so this isnt the problem (though some room for improvement). in the goals for column we see 44, we're 30-40 goals shy of the promotion tallies. we need more goals.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It was suggested by Robert on Radio Sussex phone in that this has been spoken about at the club. I am not certain eiither way for sacking him or keeping him but whatever I hope they make a decision within the next 7 days.
Oh well, if Robert says so, that's it then. Did he also say who our targets are?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Right. Time to stick my neck out here.

There is only one thing wrong with our current team right now, and that is the complete inability to score goals. I genuinely believe, all we really need next season is a couple of strikers that actually know a: how to shoot, and b: in what direction to shoot.

I do't have many issues with the rest of the squad, but for crying out loud, please let us sign at least 2 half decent strikers.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
which is fair enough (if dull) football philosophy. and if we take a look at the goal against column we see 54, which is a dozen or 20 fewer than most in the bottom half, so this isnt the problem (though some room for improvement). in the goals for column we see 44, we're 30-40 goals shy of the promotion tallies. we need more goals.

How many of those 54 goals resulted in a defeat by 1 goal? I do not see us signing 2 strikers which I dont think we will. I think 1 and Baldock to play behind him in support.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Right. Time to stick my neck out here.

There is only one thing wrong with our current team right now, and that is the complete inability to score goals. I genuinely believe, all we really need next season is a couple of strikers that actually know a: how to shoot, and b: in what direction to shoot.

I do't have many issues with the rest of the squad, but for crying out loud, please let us sign at least 2 half decent strikers.

Agreed, we arent that bad a side, except up front. I would however strengthen our defence though, maybe add a winger as well. Were talking 4-5 players.

BHA96

May 4, 2009
HH
1st Proper Ulloa replacement
2nd Left back that can defend
3rd Winger that is comfortable on the right
4th Like for Like Texiera replacement
5th quality Centre back to play alongside dunk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Agreed, we arent that bad a side, except up front. I would however strengthen our defence though, maybe add a winger as well. Were talking 4-5 players.
Absolutely this. A bit of common sense! Four or five players should make a difference - and it's a case of spending the money wisely, not necessarily in huge amounts, although a half decent striker is going to take up a large chunk of whatever budget we have.
Suggestions that we're going to go out and buy 8, or even 10 quality players are, I'm afraid, just cloud cuckoo land.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I posted the other day and stand by, how many of the current first team squad would get in the first team game squad for one of the top 6 sides? Answer 2 maybe 3. That's the task ahead of us. A complete squad rebuild.

Greer, Bruno, Lua Lua, should be offered free transfers.

Forget all the current loans they're not good enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here