Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pathetic refereeing ----------- again.

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
They have been going further and further downhill. This season has seen some truly diabolical refereeing performances. Something has to be done, there is some serious money at stake in football, not to mention one fool being capable of ruining almost 30000 people's enjoyment of a football match [emoji35]

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It was definitely Greer, screwing a pass backwards. That was a good decision.

Me too, and I sit behind where that lino was. The offside decision in the first half was inexcusable though - forced Stockdale into a great save. The Watford player was yards offside

I watched the replay several times and difficult to tell if it was our player or theirs. Either way I don't think that awful Lino would've known and didn't seem in the right position...

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Problem is though can you blame every ref for this poor season - has every ref recently been that poor to allow hardly any Brighton goals to be scored?

Don't think you have read the thread. No one is blaming the refs for our bad season, that is down to us. This is about poor quality of the referees and, from my point of view, the inability to apply the laws of the game. As someone else mentioned about handball. Cahill has an arm raised (not necessarily un-natural) and blocks a goal bound effort but there is no infringement. The ball bounces up and hits the hand of an arsenal player, which is also not in an un-natural position but it is a free kick. One is in the area and the other on the half way line. Inconsistency at it's worst and of course, possibly game changing.

Last edited:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I was told at the game yesterday all refs in the Championship next season are going to be full time, anybody else heard or read that.
Is that from football rumours site?

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Agree well he was not a homer
?. Some awful decisions from the linesman as well. Watford were not great and again if we had a goal scorer ? We would have won, again. Deeley should have gone for 3 bookable offences.
I was at the game and this about sums it up!

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
I'd be surprised if the east stand Lino couldn't see the Watford player with a handful of CMS shirt holding him back. I could see it clearly from my seat in the east stand.

Yes the lino had a terrible game in front of East stand. Started when he missed Deeney about 2 yards offside for his first chance which he missed. I was shocked when i saw the recording on Sky and none of them picked up on it as well.

The 2nd penalty appeal when CMS was grabbed looked a reasonably clear pen from the East stand. I also thought that when Bennet went down in first half it could have been given. Looked like clear contact. Again on the TV coverage they said he hadn't touched him despite what looked clear contact on several replays...

On another day could have been different, but whatever happens we need to find some strike power over the summer.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I watched the replay several times and difficult to tell if it was our player or theirs. Either way I don't think that awful Lino would've known and didn't seem in the right position...
Yes the lino had a terrible game in front of East stand. Started when he missed Deeney about 2 yards offside for his first chance which he missed. I was shocked when i saw the recording on Sky and none of them picked up on it as well.

Definitely off Greer's shin.
Only a couple of half hearted offside appeals.
Even the comms said it was an attempted clearance.

For those that missed the game but want to foolishly watch...

Last edited:

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Forgetting for a moment the dogs**t performance of the ref on Saturday and the rights or wrongs of the individual decisions, I think Saturday's games shows how much of a difference a ref can make on an entire season. In a parallel universe, the ref gives a penalty for Bennett and then for CMS whilst showing a red for the defender for a professional foul and a red for the foul on Dunk. Elsewhere in the Boro game the ref doesn't send the Boro defender off and just gives the penalty and in the Norwich game the ref misses the Grabban elbow. Likely result - Watford fail to get the three points, Boro and Norwich win and the table looks very different. (again I'm not necessarily saying the refs got these decisions wrong but they could all have easily have gone the other way) That's why I'd give refs the chance to help themselves with video evidence - however much I love a good rant at a dodgy ref, they are fallible, human and, one presumes, doing their best. These are 100 million pound decisions.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

The 2nd penalty appeal when CMS was grabbed looked a reasonably clear pen from the East stand. I also thought that when Bennet went down in first half it could have been given. Looked like clear contact. Again on the TV coverage they said he hadn't touched him despite what looked clear contact on several replays...

On another day could have been different, but whatever happens we need to find some strike power over the summer.

Sky pundits seem to tailor their 'views' based upon which team is more deserving, or 'better'. If Watford had had a close call for a penalty I'd wager the pundits would have been much more inclined to look for reasons why it should have been given.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Definitely off Greer's shin.
Only a couple of half hearted offside appeals.
Even the comms said it was an attempted clearance.

For those that missed the game but want to foolishly watch...

If we're talking about the incident on 7 mins 24 secs then surely Deeney is offside when the Watford player plays the ball forward. The fact it subsequently came off Greer is surely irrelevant.

The argument against is obviously was the watford player actually playing the ball forward !

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
If we're talking about the incident on 7 mins 24 secs then surely Deeney is offside when the Watford player plays the ball forward. The fact it subsequently came off Greer is surely irrelevant.

No, because it wasn't played forward to him.
The attempted clearance by Greer (although he miscued it again) is the important touch.

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River

The argument against is obviously was the watford player actually playing the ball forward !

yes exactly at 7.24 he was offside (not his goal which was clearly another shinning from Greer!) I was level with decision in East stand and he was clearly off and lino took some serious abuse for several mins. Seemed a poke forward from Watford player.

C

CT1

What do we expect from officials from the championship downwards?

The disparity between the wages of PGMOL and National List level one referees is absurd. The 16 select group referees are on contracts of over 70k a year, plus match fees in excess of 1k. Although 100k a year is nothing in comparison to the wages earned by the players they referee, it certainly isn't a bad salary, and although they get a lot of stick from fans and the press, the summit of the professional game must be an amazing thing to be a part of.

Why do we have only 16 full time referees in the country though? These 16 officials, our very best in the country, have the time to obtain outstanding levels of fitness, spend hours assessing every performance, work with the FA and other PGMOL staff to develop and improve further as referees, and still they make abysmal errors such a sending off wrong players. So again, what do we expect from lower league referees?

A football league referee will earn under 400 pounds for every game and that is all. They have to juggle refereeing the proffessianal game with their full time jobs. Assistant referees are worst off, earning under 200 pounds from the championship downwards, and under 800 pounds on the premier league, and that is all. Also, assistant referees need only to be Level 3, meaning they operate on the Ryman and Conference leagues as a referee. Policeman Harry Leonard from Peacehaven is a prime example of this. He is a level 3 referee yet you see him operating week in week out on the premier league as an assistant. This means he can be running the line at Old Trafford saturday, off to work as a policemen monday, and off to the dripping pan tuesday night to do a middle. It just doesn't make sense to me.

We won't get professional performances from our officials unless they are paid as professionals. Not 100k a year, but something to live on comfortably, or something which means officials only have to work part time so they can accommodate more commitments to their development as match officials. Until then, you won't catch me complaining about the performance of a football league referee.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
disagree. The commentary didn't even mention either point (offside or who fed pass)

On the replay they say it was not very convincing defending with an opportunity to get the ball clear.

It was definitely Greer who played it through, and definitely not offside.

Yes, he was in an offside position, but no offence because it was Greer who played it.
The touch by the Watford player doesn't matter.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
On the replay they say it was not very convincing defending with an opportunity to get the ball clear.

It was definitely Greer who played it through, and definitely not offside.

Yes, he was in an offside position, but no offence because it was Greer who played it.
The touch by the Watford player doesn't matter.

surely under the current offside law Greer playing it last does not put the player back onside, it did prior to the rule change in 1979 but not now. If the player was offside when the Watford player played it he was still offside after Greers touch.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What do we expect from officials from the championship downwards?

The disparity between the wages of PGMOL and National List level one referees is absurd. The 16 select group referees are on contracts of over 70k a year, plus match fees in excess of 1k. Although 100k a year is nothing in comparison to the wages earned by the players they referee, it certainly isn't a bad salary, and although they get a lot of stick from fans and the press, the summit of the professional game must be an amazing thing to be a part of.

Why do we have only 16 full time referees in the country though? These 16 officials, our very best in the country, have the time to obtain outstanding levels of fitness, spend hours assessing every performance, work with the FA and other PGMOL staff to develop and improve further as referees, and still they make abysmal errors such a sending off wrong players. So again, what do we expect from lower league referees?

A football league referee will earn under 400 pounds for every game and that is all. They have to juggle refereeing the proffessianal game with their full time jobs. Assistant referees are worst off, earning under 200 pounds from the championship downwards, and under 800 pounds on the premier league, and that is all. Also, assistant referees need only to be Level 3, meaning they operate on the Ryman and Conference leagues as a referee. Policeman Harry Leonard from Peacehaven is a prime example of this. He is a level 3 referee yet you see him operating week in week out on the premier league as an assistant. This means he can be running the line at Old Trafford saturday, off to work as a policemen monday, and off to the dripping pan tuesday night to do a middle. It just doesn't make sense to me.

We won't get professional performances from our officials unless they are paid as professionals. Not 100k a year, but something to live on comfortably, or something which means officials only have to work part time so they can accommodate more commitments to their development as match officials. Until then, you won't catch me complaining about the performance of a football league referee.

So how do you rate Oliver's performance yesterday? A professional referee, rated one of the best, making numerous poor decisions, the most obvious being the two handball decisions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here