Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Virgo v Stockdale

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Yes, I have indeed watched most games this season (missed a couple or so away admittedly). Sometimes they can go astray, and don't get me wrong I'm a fan of his. The balls-up with the ball to Ince (which was 50/50 faultwise) is a clear example. Iffy decision to play such a pass at that time whoever made the call.

It looke to me that he would prefer to be an outfield player and welcomes an opportunity to display his passing skills, he particularly loves a first time pass, even when there is time to take a touch.

And his passing is good for a keeper. But it is not good for an outfield player. I just wish he would concentrate on being a keeper, and safety first when the ball is at his feet.

And stop HOOFING.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Virgo with his usual "look at me, aren't I controversial" comments to try and get work ..... needs to realise how his career ended up after the ridiculous transfer deal he went for, due to a couple of matey managers at the time

I don't think the tweet that Stockdale took offence to was controversial or slagging at all. He said, in his opinion that Stockdale made an error and was saved by the ref blowing for a free kick. Anyone could have tweeted that, Naylor quite often tweets incidents and his opinions of them. Stockdale is just plain wrong here.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
DS is largely a one-sided keeper. Very strong on his left, much weaker on his right side. I have watched him all season being beaten low to his right, across him, from the angle. His natural inclination is to set himself to his left every time, which doesn't give him the recovery time to get to his right.

That is really interesting. I will keep an eye on that. I can visualise a few goals as you describe.

I have no idea what happens on the training ground. I just get this impression that he would prefer to be one of the lads (outfield player) and does not give his position the respect, concentration, or dedication required. He is a talented lad - but at the moment he doesn not seem to be making the most of those talents.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
FWIW I think it is time to draw a line under this Yes DS mistakes cost us some points Yes he made some great saves to earn us points irrespective of which is greater he came in to replace arguably our best ever keeper so it w as going to be a difficult act to folllow. Lets move on and give him our support for next season when he will again be No 1 unless this gets too much and he asks for a move.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
FWIW I think it is time to draw a line under this Yes DS mistakes cost us some points Yes he made some great saves to earn us points irrespective of which is greater he came in to replace arguably our best ever keeper so it w as going to be a difficult act to folllow. Lets move on and give him our support for next season when he will again be No 1 unless this gets too much and he asks for a move.

Controversial.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Lush

Mods' Pet
If you watch Virgo talking about 'that play-offs goal' on the Withdean Years, then I for one am eternally grateful that he wears his heart on his sleeve, whether it's in the commentary box, on Twitter, or on the pitch.

Combine that with a goalkeeper who seemed on the verge of tears in his last interview after the Wigan game and it's not surprising that there was a bit of handbags.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Virgs is a nice bloke and did well for us, but all he learned from his stint in Scotland was how journalists can get under the skin of professional footballers and ruin their confidence. Having listened to some of his post match analysis, he tries very hard to be controversial and I am not sure he really knows what he's talking about.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There's ONE honour he does have though
Third division play off semi-final, the epitome of medium sized fish in a very small pond.

Cracking goal, great Albion player, committed and certainly tried to make the most of his football career.
Great we could have done with a few more like that this season.

But I'm not sure that justifies now starting every sentence with:-

'Well that's a mistake...'.
or
'What I would have done is...'.
or
'You'd expect better from Chris Hughton...'.

and on, and on

The list of negativity is relentless, tiresome and classless.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I like both of them.

This, but they've let themselves down a bit.

I usually love Stockdale's use of twitter, he retweeted my post promoting the #home4horsham campaign and his engagement with the #blamestockdale phase was hilarious. However, he's retweeted way too many positive tweets, one or two maybe would be fine, not the twenty or so he shared after the Wigan game! Great person, just needs to know where to draw the line. Still a relatively young man it must be remembered.

Virgo is a great guy and a good pundit, but he seems to be straying down this 'shock jock' route to punditry notoriety a la Robbie Savage. Is he trying to compensate for a mostly undistinguished playing career? It is a shame that rubbish pundits can go straight to the best gigs due to a stellar playing career e.g. Alan Shearer, but it is equally sad that Virgo is following the 'slag off everything' strategy to further his own rise to the top. The club needs it's critics but Virgo takes it just that bit too far.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Virgo is a great guy and a good pundit, but he seems to be straying down this 'shock jock' route to punditry notoriety a la Robbie Savage. Is he trying to compensate for a mostly undistinguished playing career? It is a shame that rubbish pundits can go straight to the best gigs due to a stellar playing career e.g. Alan Shearer, but it is equally sad that Virgo is following the 'slag off everything' strategy to further his own rise to the top. The club needs it's critics but Virgo takes it just that bit too far.

Yep, I agree. Someone needs to tell him you don't sh*t on your own doorstep.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Don't agree with the 'loyal', we must all stand behind Albion players, come what may approach.

Stockdale has made many key blunders this season, that have cost us vital points. Making great saves in other games, doesn't make up for it. The first choice keeper should be far more consistent than that.

Virgo is entirely entitled to air his views, it's a free country and Radio Sussex and Twatter would be meaningless if all ex-players / pundits had to tow a loyal line. Many fans feel and openly say the same about Stockdale, CMS and other poor performers. Have and always will do.

Personally, I disagree about Calderon. Pushed forward away from RB, I think he's still highly effective, a great player for us and brilliant for squad morale. A season or two still left in him at Championship level, I hope with us. But I respect Virgo's opinion.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Aspinall, for all his mispronounced names, offers ten times the insight that Virgo does, and is certainly not afraid to highlight the club's shortcomings. He's also prone to let inside transfer gossip slip, which is entertaining.

Virgo needs to have a listen back to a few of his co-commentaries. There a difference between saying it how it is, and being unrelentingly negative. Someone earlier likened him to Boycott. There's truth in that, for sure.

Aspinall, with the benefit of video replay, thought it shouldn't have been a foul, and that Stockdale had made a mistake.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here