Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Penney

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
The Irish wing wizard that is Steve Penney return to Brighton this week & is our guest on the Albion Roar tomorrow night.

He is probably my favourite Albion player of all time but what are your memories of him?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
1983/84 was my first season watching the Albion on a regular basis, and it was his first full season as a player.

I always played on the wing at school, and he quickly became a favourite of mine.

His performance against Liverpool in the FA Cup fourth round of that year was a highlight. I seem to remember him being linked with big money moves at that time, but his career never seemed to take off as expected. I'm guessing this may have been due to injuries.

Train Spotter

Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I remember that part of the deal when we signed him was a pre-season friendly in Ballymena in 1984. This was in the days when they still had tanks on the streets of Belfast.
The "Doctor" who gained his nickname from this Tour was also arrested in Ballymena on suspicion of Armed Robbery!

1983/84 was my first season watching the Albion on a regular basis, and it was his first full season as a player.

I always played on the wing at school, and he quickly became a favourite of mine.

His performance against Liverpool in the FA Cup fourth round of that year was a highlight. I seem to remember him being linked with big money moves at that time, but his career never seemed to take off as expected. I'm guessing this may have been due to injuries.
Played in a world cup!:moo:

Also an early hero of mine, recall he produced a similar buzz to when KLL is/was on form and in flight. Is it the product of my Harvey's addled imagination or is he now an opticion? (Penney not KLL).

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I remember that part of the deal when we signed him was a pre-season friendly in Ballymena in 1984. This was in the days when they still had tanks on the streets of Belfast.
The "Doctor" who gained his nickname from this Tour was also arrested in Ballymena on suspicion of Armed Robbery!

Always remembered for Chopper West pissing up against the goal post whilst the match was still being played and indeed Doc Talbot being stopped and searched. That was a brilliant weekend

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Could take a 40yd high ball from midfield and kill it with one touch. Few wingers have that skill.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
The most naturally skilful player I've seen in an Albion shirt. Still my favourite after I first started going to the Goldstone in the mid-eighties. He could ghost past defenders and had a bit of pace too. Sadly he had knee problems throughout his career and never managed to fulfil his potential. Could be Albion's most capped international player?

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
The most naturally skilful player I've seen in an Albion shirt. Still my favourite after I first started going to the Goldstone in the mid-eighties. He could ghost past defenders and had a bit of pace too. Sadly he had knee problems throughout his career and never managed to fulfil his potential. Could be Albion's most capped international player?[/QUOTE

I forgot about Vicente...!

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
The best winger I've seen in the stripes. Scared the hell out of the oppositions defence and scored some great goals. Neil Smiley too. Happy days

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I remember singing his song. Could you ask him if the wavy hair was natural or a perm?

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
The most naturally skilful player I've seen in an Albion shirt. Still my favourite after I first started going to the Goldstone in the mid-eighties. He could ghost past defenders and had a bit of pace too. Sadly he had knee problems throughout his career and never managed to fulfil his potential. Could be Albion's most capped international player?

Joint most capped on 17 with Gerry Ryan

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
The Irish wing wizard that is Steve Penney return to Brighton this week & is our guest on the Albion Roar tomorrow night.

He is probably my favourite Albion player of all time but what are your memories of him?

I remember him being quite small. Good size for a nippy winger of course.

I have a perfect photo of him that I took from high on the East Terrace North during the promotion winning game against Bristol Rovers in May 88. He had just jinked past a rovers defender who is facing almost completely the opposite way from the way that Penney is going with the ball.

I also remember how he and Smillie would swap wings quite regularly if they weren't getting the best of the full backs they were up against. More times than not the change of wing enabled one or both players to get the better of the defenders.

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
I met steve at a football tournament in peacehaven think I must have been about 9 or 10 did nt even know who he was.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Can you ask hi if he remembers playing golf with the van dent golf society, dave menzies group, at lewes when he was down here. Seem to remember him playing the mid summer madness...3 rounds in a day....started at 8 and finished when it got dark.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here