Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Supply the entire world with solar electiricty

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
http://www.iflscience.com/environment/how-much-room-do-we-need-supply-entire-world-solar-electricity

soler energy.png

In 2009, the total global electricity consumption was 20,279,640 GWh. The sun creates more energy than that in one hour. The tricky part is collecting that energy and converting it into useful electricity with solar panels. How much area would need to be covered with solar panels in order to capture enough energy to meet global demand? Actually, it’s not as much as you’d think.

The image above has three red boxes showing what area would need to be covered for Germany (De), Europe (EU-25), and the entire world.

So what the hell are we waiting for? Let’s start getting more solar panels on some rooftops and start chipping away at those boxes!

Seems logical to me.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Bugger, Hijacked second post in :)

I think this is a conspiracy by the fossil fuel power companies to derail the discussion of solar power and disappear down a rabbit hole of conspiracy theories.

Damn it, will they ever give up? :)

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Bugger, Hijacked second post in :)

I think this is a conspiracy by the fossil fuel power companies to derail the discussion of solar power and disappear down a rabbit hole of conspiracy theories.

Damn it, will they ever give up? :)

Magnetic energy would be far more eco friendly and cheaper. What's the matter with that?

Badfish, Why do you always come across so negative when you post? Sorry to be analytical, but it does need to be said.

Nicolas Tesla is no conspiracy. But go ahead, you obviously know more......

Last edited:

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
There's quite number of ways to provide the leccy, as far as i'm aware though, the problem is distributing it.

Roll on high temperature superconductors...

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Magnetic energy would be far more eco friendly and cheaper. What's the matter with that?

Badfish, Why do you always come across so negative when you post? Sorry to be analytical, but it does need to be said.

Tell me more about magnetic energy as i don't know much about it (your video didn't really help. This coupled with its conspiracy feel was why I dismissed it as such).

How is it cheaper and more ecologically friendly than solar?

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Solar Roadways is something that always intrigued me. Distribution is simple, no more frozen roads, lighting is free, internet simple....I could go on. Google them.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

why dont you toddle off then and create a magnetic energy plant, and use which ever of Teslas surpressed but widely known ideas will give free energy. come back when you have something usable and reliable at a domestic level.

back to reality, the trouble with solar panels is energy storage for night time or cloud cover. as i understand it they are not good at high peak loads or variation in demand either. the environment impact on their manufacture is overlooked as well (being made in China has allowed us to pretty much ignore it). they are terribly efficient at what they do, though improving. really a better solution would be thorium nuclear and/or a hydrogen based system, possibly using solar for the electrolysis stage.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
My 5.1 KWh system was generating 4.8 KWh last Friday and was a bit cloudy and 29 degrees.
All I need is to get a wind fan to power us at night, as it does get pretty windy in these parts.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
why dont you toddle off then and create a magnetic energy plant, and use which ever of Teslas surpressed but widely known ideas will give free energy. come back when you have something usable and reliable at a domestic level.

back to reality, the trouble with solar panels is energy storage for night time or cloud cover. as i understand it they are not good at high peak loads or variation in demand either. the environment impact on their manufacture is overlooked as well (being made in China has allowed us to pretty much ignore it). they are terribly efficient at what they do, though improving. really a better solution would be thorium nuclear and/or a hydrogen based system, possibly using solar for the electrolysis stage.

this maybe true but the technology of solar is improving at a steady rate. The point being made is that the energy is there, we just have to find away to efficiently store it and use it.

I think that there are problems with all systems and we are not at a point where any of them are completely workable but with decent funding and a little time we should be able to move away from fossil fuels and into safe renewable energy.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I watched the Australian version of Coast on Sunday night. They have large "Bells" that work under the waves (near Perth) and seem to generate a fair bit of power. They are under the waves, so you don't actually see them.

(Apologies if this has been mentioned in any of the You Tube attachements above. You Tube is blocked at work).

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I watched the Australian version of Coast on Sunday night. They have large "Bells" that work under the waves (near Perth) and seem to generate a fair bit of power. They are under the waves, so you don't actually see them.

(Apologies if this has been mentioned in any of the You Tube attachements above. You Tube is blocked at work).

I have heard about something like this but didn't actually know anyone had done it for real. Do you remember what the show was called?

Is this it? When you get home from work obviously :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J_7ucSwU8Q

Pizza

Dec 27, 2014
Sheffield/London/Brighton
Transmission losses would make solar energy used like that very inefficient, but it does demonstrate the scalability of solar.
Unfortunately, China's manipulation of rare earth markets makes it hard to manufacture anything on that scope.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Transmission losses would make solar energy used like that very inefficient, but it does demonstrate the scalability of solar.
Unfortunately, China's manipulation of rare earth markets makes it hard to manufacture anything on that scope.

high voltage DC removes the transmission losses (AC was used originally because of technology i forget restricted DC, which has since been resolved). Rare earths are not as constrained by China as is apparent, they aren't actually rare and its pollution from the extraction processes that keep them in China. the main problem of solar is its variability, even if there was a 99% efficient conversion (though that would make it very cheap by then).

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
managed to get it on my phone. Yep that's the stuff! :thumbsup:

Interesting advance, I would assume that a wide range of different renewables is the way forward to getting %100 powered by them.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Interesting advance, I would assume that a wide range of different renewables is the way forward to getting %100 powered by them.

If there was worldwide political will you could do this.

The energy loop could not only supply much of the world with electrical power, a by product of keeping the mirrors clean would be using some of the energy created to desalinate sea water. That process can in turn enable crops to grow in a previously inhospitable area. The collecting mirrors are the big problem in that the odd sand storm could have a damaging effect. Not to mention the instability in the area.

However, imagine the world paying Africa to produce it's energy as a renewable provider, not only supply clean energy, but bringing Africa out of poverty, producing fresh water from the clean energy to enable new crop areas to flourish....I had a dream...

http://cleantechnica.com/2014/02/28/sahara-forest-project-powered-by-sunlight-and-saltwater/

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
If there was worldwide political will you could do this.

The energy loop could not only supply much of the world with electrical power, a by product of keeping the mirrors clean would be using some of the energy created to desalinate sea water. That process can in turn enable crops to grow in a previously inhospitable area. The collecting mirrors are the big problem in that the odd sand storm could have a damaging effect. Not to mention the instability in the area.

However, imagine the world paying Africa to produce it's energy as a renewable provider, not only supply clean energy, but bringing Africa out of poverty, producing fresh water from the clean energy to enable new crop areas to flourish....I had a dream...

http://cleantechnica.com/2014/02/28/sahara-forest-project-powered-by-sunlight-and-saltwater/

That is a very interesting idea, you are solving a whole range of global issues here. You just need to world wide political will :)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That is a very interesting idea, you are solving a whole range of global issues here. You just need to world wide political will :)

It is very frustrating because the technology is there. While we're led to believe that a new generation of nuclear power is our only answer, the real answer rises in the East every single morning. It is mind numbingly painful to understand the amount of energy that lands on every square meter of the earth per hour.

Even ideas like solar roadways, while far fetched perhaps, is showing how thinking about real solutions could seriously change the planet and the direction we take our energy production in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here