Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom at the station yesterday after the match

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Probably the same as we did, there weren't many complaints when he joined, and the first couple of months were good!

I too was impressed with CMS when I watched him a couple of times on SKY when we was playing in League 1, and like most was really happy when we signed him, and the start was good, as it tends to be when a player joins a new club. But to me it proves two things:
1 Buying a player is one thing but getting them to fit in is another. It is and has never been an exact science, as there are so many things to consider; those playing alongside/ is the family happy in new surroundings/ does he get on with the manager/injury problems/distractions from agents etc etc
2 I don't notice it so much now after 4 seasons, but when we first went up, I was astonished at the difference in class in the Championship - the crisp passing in particular. Thus it is a risky strategy going into lower leagues, as success there does not necessarily guarantee similar performances in the Championship.
Perhaps this brings me back to the first point - CMS and Callum Wilson!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I too was impressed with CMS when I watched him a couple of times on SKY when we was playing in League 1, and like most was really happy when we signed him,

Me too but (easy in hindsight) he was in a really good set up at Posh alongside McLean and with Boyd and McCann pulling the strings behind. They played "rush football" sliding balls through the channels and using pace.

It's not that easy in this Div a) we don't have the players, b) we don't play that way, and c) The standard is too high to allow two little fellas to run around latching on to a barrage of speculative through balls

Even now I wonder when I listen to Hughton talking (more than once) about using CMS to stretch a defence. If I were the oppo I'd probably just ignore him and let him buzz around till his hearts content. Not sure what Hughton sees that makes him think he will be effective in that role

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Maybe TB has a sense of humour...

Gafones

Jul 28, 2009
Brighton
A bit unfair Tony is a good bloke - I'm sure he was kidding. He bought me a drink. My only complaint is that I wanted a capuccino and he got me an instant decaff.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You could go through every top class manager in the world, and pick out the duds they've signed, in amongst the jewels.

Take Sir Alex Ferguson, for example: Bebe, Kleberson, Eric Djemba Djemba, Ralph Milne, Juan Sebastian Veron, Jordi Cruyff, Massimo Taibi, David Bellion, Dong Fang Zhou, Wilfried Zaha.

Ergo, Poyet had hits & misses. CMS will go down as a miss in the long term.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Albion Fan "Any chance of buying us a drink Tony, I'm skint"

TB "Sorry mate I'm skint too"

Sounds as if we're in for a close season of cast offs, ne'er do wells and dreaming of the glory days when we had Chris Holroyd.

Maybe TB has a sense of humour...

So this may be complete co-incidence but a chat on Twitter yesterday with someone I respect who is not prone to BS suggested Bloom's businesses (didn't say which or all) are not doing as well as they have been and due to what he's been putting in here he is currently cash poor and asset rich. I'm not saying this is true - my response was "interesting!" and I have no knowledge to back this up - but that tweet would have come through at exactly the same time TB made that "joke".

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
So this may be complete co-incidence but a chat on Twitter yesterday with someone I respect who is not prone to BS suggested Bloom's businesses (didn't say which or all) are not doing as well as they have been and due to what he's been putting in here he is currently cash poor and asset rich. I'm not saying this is true - my response was "interesting!" and I have no knowledge to back this up - but that tweet would have come through at exactly the same time TB made that "joke".

I know who tweeted that, and he definitely wasn't at the game, so coincidence I guess.

SteveTheSeagull

I AM A CRIPPLED ALICE FAN
Feb 14, 2015
You sure you saw Bloom?. He was with a bald headed man that looked suspiciously like Barber. So i was told.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

He does keep his cards close to his chest.

sten

sister ray
Jul 14, 2003
eastside
You sure you saw Bloom?. He was with a bald headed man that looked suspiciously like Barber. So i was told.

Yep definitely was on train he walked past us in 1st class said alright lads which we replyed had better days which he laughed at was with his brother I think no barber , guard was a Brighton fan so let us seat in 1st class and not slum it with the riff raff further back down train which was nice ��

SteveTheSeagull

I AM A CRIPPLED ALICE FAN
Feb 14, 2015
Yep definitely was on train he walked past us in 1st class said alright lads which we replyed had better days which he laughed at was with his brother I think no barber , guard was a Brighton fan so let us seat in 1st class and not slum it with the riff raff further back down train which was nice ��

Ah right. Cheers for clearing that up :)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Barber travelled by road to the game yesterday, I can tell you that for a fact.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Nah, but he went into one of the M40 services for a coffee.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here