Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Congratulations to AFC Bournemouth on securing promotion to the Premier League

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Would any Bournemouth fan care to explain why referees give them penalties against us, when no Brighton player has committed an offence (October 2010 and January 2014), yet fail to give us a penalty when one of their players blatantly scoops the ball away with his hand in the box (this month)?
Either mistakes or the refs were bent.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
has anyone mentioned the fact that they have a couple of our "rejects "at cb......irony in the extreme , i have just finished weeping into my bovril..

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I'll own up straight away, I am definitely bitter and jealous. I've seen Bournemouth several times this season professionally, and hadn't seen them win until Easter Monday. Their defence has looked terrible on every occasion except the game at the Amex. And they've been very lucky indeed with injuries. The thought of having to make that horrendous journey to Dean Court even more often next season to see Bournemouth (Bournemouth FFS!!) in the Premier League is a grim prospect.

But there are lessons to be learned. After Burnley last season and AFCB this time, we can no longer seriously call on TB to open the chequebook (what a quaint, old-fashioned football-only notion these days - like a 'slide-rule' pass) as some way of guaranteeing promotion. As a Uruguayan bloke once told me, smart recruitment is the name of the game these days.

Ok, Bournemouth's wage bill is said to be huge, but how much did their team cost in transfers? Take Callum Wilson, top scorer with 19 goals, signed from Coventry for less than they got for Lewis Grabban. Compare our attempts to replace Leo Ulloa with a number of mediocrities. Oh, and Sam Baldock - played out of position, because that worked so well with CMS. Not very smart. Let's hope the new recruitment team can do better than Burke.

But of course, the main difference is in the management. Look at Sean Dyche and Eddie Howe. Some people on here would have you believe that 4-4-2 is the road to perdition, an outdated formation that no successful team would ever play. Well, Burnley and Bournemouth both play it. But they've got better players than us? Yes, footballing gods such as Sam Vokes, Ashley Barnes and Tommy Elphick, all of whom have, in the past, been castigated to varying degrees on here as not good enough for mighty us.

Is Chris Hughton the man to help us emulate Burnley and AFCB? The Kayal signing bodes well, the Best loan less so. His success in getting promotion with Newcastle was based on a squad of Premier League players. We need to see smart signings, the right formation to get the best from the players we have - does Kazenga always have to play on the left, or could he succeed elsewehere? - and players who want to play and succeed, not loan players just here to make up the numbers and who are tranparently no better than players we already have.

I wonder what would have happened to JFC at Bournemouth or Burnley. He's an automatic first choice for England under-21 yet looks worse and worse every time he plays for us. I have a feeling that if our well-paid coaching staff can solve that particular riddle, then they'll be well on the way to sorting out some of the other stuff.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I'll own up straight away, I am definitely bitter and jealous. I've seen Bournemouth several times this season professionally, and hadn't seen them win until Easter Monday. Their defence has looked terrible on every occasion except the game at the Amex. And they've been very lucky indeed with injuries. The thought of having to make that horrendous journey to Dean Court even more often next season to see Bournemouth (Bournemouth FFS!!) in the Premier League is a grim prospect.

But there are lessons to be learned. After Burnley last season and AFCB this time, we can no longer seriously call on TB to open the chequebook (what a quaint, old-fashioned football-only notion these days - like a 'slide-rule' pass) as some way of guaranteeing promotion. As a Uruguayan bloke once told me, smart recruitment is the name of the game these days.

Ok, Bournemouth's wage bill is said to be huge, but how much did their team cost in transfers? Take Callum Wilson, top scorer with 19 goals, signed from Coventry for less than they got for Lewis Grabban. Compare our attempts to replace Leo Ulloa with a number of mediocrities. Oh, and Sam Baldock - played out of position, because that worked so well with CMS. Not very smart. Let's hope the new recruitment team can do better than Burke.

But of course, the main difference is in the management. Look at Sean Dyche and Eddie Howe. Some people on here would have you believe that 4-4-2 is the road to perdition, an outdated formation that no successful team would ever play. Well, Burnley and Bournemouth both play it. But they've got better players than us? Yes, footballing gods such as Sam Vokes, Ashley Barnes and Tommy Elphick, all of whom have, in the past, been castigated to varying degrees on here as not good enough for mighty us.

Is Chris Hughton the man to help us emulate Burnley and AFCB? The Kayal signing bodes well, the Best loan less so. His success in getting promotion with Newcastle was based on a squad of Premier League players. We need to see smart signings, the right formation to get the best from the players we have - does Kazenga always have to play on the left, or could he succeed elsewehere? - and players who want to play and succeed, not loan players just here to make up the numbers and who are tranparently no better than players we already have.

I wonder what would have happened to JFC at Bournemouth or Burnley. He's an automatic first choice for England under-21 yet looks worse and worse every time he plays for us. I have a feeling that if our well-paid coaching staff can solve that particular riddle, then they'll be well on the way to sorting out some of the other stuff.

You'll never make it as a journalist writing stuff like this. Sums up my feelings about The Albion perfectly right about now.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Bournemouth were looking good last season so I am not surprised where they are today. They are much better than we have ever been in the Championship and good luck to them for showing how you get automatic promotion by playing progressive football.

The season we can string together 5, 6, 7 wins in a row will be the time we deserve promotion. Can't see this any time soon though.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
But, but, but, we have a billionaire owner, who is a lifelong fan, and a huge stadium (too big for us?) and crowds around 20K (double Boremuff) and a training ground and matchday experience and fanzone and the best CEO in the business and, and :cry:

We are still losing Millions!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

Fantastic post! There is a huge question mark over the appointment of Chris Hughton, in my opinion. We needed someone that would engender a bit of excitement and passion from the fanbase and all evidence points towards him being the antithesis of that. However, that is only part of the parcel and as long as we can get the player recruitment right this Summer I'm sure we can have a successful season (top half of the table) nonetheless.

We have sand

Aug 25, 2014
Personally speaking, I did not start this thread, have participated in it in the form of banter, have never looked at any chat forum from another football club, have no "illusions" about Brighton being a big club and have never said anything about Bournemouth being minnows.

My first Brighton match was in 1967, I have not watched them regularly season in season out through all those years, but it has always been the first result I looked for, I am coming to the end of my second year now as a STH, and have already renewed for next year. I travel about 120 miles round trip for each home match I go to because it is an enjoyable experience (even when we are not doing well), and because no other team matters to me. my wife is a Saints STH and I have been down there with her on occasion, but I just can not get excited about it.

I have never been particularly bothered about Crystal Palace, which club many on here would say I ought to hate with a vengeance. I find the current Bournemouth success mildly irritating because I genuinely don't like the place - Brighton is much more interesting in every way - and I don't like Eddie Howe in the least.

But any irritation I might feel about all this will dissipate fairly quickly once the season is over. If we are in different divisions, which I suspect we will be, then I will be much more interested in what the teams in my own division are doing. If you are promoted, it will be - this is sticking in the throat - because..... you..... deserve it. Good luck to you. But I will not be getting excited on your behalf.

Obviously i completely disagree with you regarding Brighton being much more interesting, but im probably biased on that one, equally I have no feeling bad or good towards Brighton, but we are two of the 4 south coast clubs, and personally i would rather you do well than either Pompey or Southampton, i am not on here to try and wind any of you up, just put our point of view across, also this forum is very good and extremely active :thumbsup:

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Obviously i completely disagree with you regarding Brighton being much more interesting, but im probably biased on that one, equally I have no feeling bad or good towards Brighton, but we are two of the 4 south coast clubs, and personally i would rather you do well than either Pompey or Southampton, i am not on here to try and wind any of you up, just put our point of view across, also this forum is very good and extremely active :thumbsup:
For sure! If we could get points for talk!!

Dec 29, 2011
i think you are confusing success and history, based on your thinking why would Brighton mentioning it ? hardly 2 times European champions yourselves are you ?

We don't have much history either, if it wasn't for the whole homeless debacle we'd be as insignificant as Bournemouth.

We have sand

Aug 25, 2014
We don't have much history either, if it wasn't for the whole homeless debacle we'd be as insignificant as Bournemouth.

you have homeless, we have the highest rates of drub re-habs in Britain, your problems just seem significant because your there, as do ours, but on the other hand if you had a coastline to match ours or the new forest on your door step you'd be as magnificent as Bournemouth ;-)

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Fair enough. You have actually thawed my attitude towards Bournemouth a little. For the sake of individual decent fans like you, I hope you do OK.

Glad you like the forum. There is so much more to it than just football!

Deep down, it's Southampton that really get me through years of bias towards them on the Southern Television Channels and more recently because of Nigel Adkins.. But I have lots of friends and a wife who support them, and I actually like and have a great deal of respect for Ronald Koeman.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Bournemouth are far from home and dry, they could still choke. If they play like they did against us for the remaining games they're crash in the playoffs

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
you have homeless, we have the highest rates of drub re-habs in Britain, your problems just seem significant because your there, as do ours, but on the other hand if you had a coastline to match ours or the new forest on your door step you'd be as magnificent as Bournemouth ;-)

I did actually laugh out loud at that. Hilarious point-missing.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Hahahaha aa. Utterly deluded. Fabulous rewrite there. You gave your team absolutely NOTHING until they went ahead.

As you well know, you were absolutely SILENT for the entire first half. Nerves I guess. You gave a 40 second go at Red Flag at the start of the second half, then went SILENT again until you scored.

You started singing 'shall we sing a song for you' on about 78 minutes, and I remember laughing, thinking, the stupid ***** have only sung two themselves so far.

Of course once the game was won you were constant and loud. Who wouldn't be?

In fairness they sung vociferously between 6.45pm and 7.40pm. Thought Huddersfield's 250 were louder on Tuesday night.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Fair enough. You have actually thawed my attitude towards Bournemouth a little. For the sake of individual decent fans like you, I hope you do OK.

Glad you like the forum. There is so much more to it than just football!

Deep down, it's Southampton that really get me through years of bias towards them on the Southern Television Channels and more recently because of Nigel Adkins.. But I have lots of friends and a wife who support them, and I actually like and have a great deal of respect for Ronald Koeman.

We're alright you know! It has been a bit of an eye opener with the amount of grief we have got - mainly through gamesmanship that I don't like to see - but it seems to have been blown out of proportion when it comes to us, although we need to stand up more sometimes.

Saying that, its usually through twitter, etc - even Watford fans I know in 'the real world' are fine, whereas on social media you would have thought we are the new Luton! Anyway - the season is far from over, we really need to improve on saturday or it will be the play off lottery...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here