Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why does CMS get off so lightly with our fans?

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
CMS doesn't get grief from me, because I don't see him as a lone striker.

He is a player (like Baldock) who has made his name playing as one of a pair, yet we have either stuck him up front on his own and isolated him pumping ball into his head against centre halves 12 inches taller than him, or played him out wide. He is not that sort of player.

If he played regularly up front as one of a front pair (not just 10 or 15 minutes when we are chasing a game), and he still didn't produce results, then I think he would get a lot more stick than he does.

But as not one of our managers has played to his strength, that's why I think it's unfair to judge him.

All of This.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Because, despite his flaws, he at least seems to put some effort in. It's (seemingly) the simplest thing in the world for a footballer to do but it's noticeable when someone is giving it a go.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
CMS doesn't get grief from me, because I don't see him as a lone striker.

He is a player (like Baldock) who has made his name playing as one of a pair, yet we have either stuck him up front on his own and isolated him pumping ball into his head against centre halves 12 inches taller than him, or played him out wide. He is not that sort of player.

If he played regularly up front as one of a front pair (not just 10 or 15 minutes when we are chasing a game), and he still didn't produce results, then I think he would get a lot more stick than he does.

But as not one of our managers has played to his strength, that's why I think it's unfair to judge him.

He could play alongside Ronaldo and Messi in a front 3 and he'd still be utterly ineffectual. Over 4 years he has played in front 2s and 3s enough by now.

He's nowhere near good enough for us to completely fit our game around him, as you suggest. Regardless of formation or tactics, I expect a Championship striker to have a better first touch than ME. Is that really too much to ask? Genuinely?

Stick him in League One (for his own sake, nice bloke) and he'll get some goals.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
He could play alongside Ronaldo and Messi in a front 3 and he'd still be utterly ineffectual. Over 4 years he has played in front 2s and 3s enough by now.

He's nowhere near good enough for us to completely fit our game around him, as you suggest. Regardless of formation or tactics, I expect a Championship striker to have a better first touch than ME. Is that really too much to ask? Genuinely?

Stick him in League One (for his own sake, nice bloke) and he'll get some goals.

Gus F**ked him over big time the team was never built around his style as promised. how many strikers have we had that were sht for us only to make a impact else where, since the Amex first season we have only one good striker suited to our boring system.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton

HOw he going to score goals in league one if he doesn't have a first touch?

When has he ever had a run in the side as one of a front 2? Unless you consider the odd 15 minutes here and there as we are chasing goals enough of a chance.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Gus F**ked him over big time the team was never built around his style as promised. how many strikers have we had that were sht for us only to make a impact else where, since the Amex first season we have only one good striker suited to our boring system.
Exactly. No striker shines with us. Even Leo badly under performed in his last season with us, because of how he was used. I shudder to think what damage he'll do for Leicester next season in teh championship if he is played as one of a pair!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
To be brutally honest CMS is overrated and not good enough to be successful at this level but at the same time this also applies to Chris O'Gravy and Leon Worst.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
It isn't just his first touch. It is his movement as well. When Hoskins played he showed what movement is required from a forward. Running around is not the same as movement.

Time to cut our losses.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I think it's because he's been systematically destroyed by Poyet and the Albion. Poyet signed him, ruined him and buggered off. He was never going to suit the way we play and that's on the club.

You don't judge a centre back for being a bad right back, just as you shouldn't blame a small nippy finisher for not becoming a 6ft hold up play, target man.

Then add injury to rock bottom confidence and you get CMS.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Gus F**ked him over big time the team was never built around his style as promised.

Face it, the Championship was never built around CMS style, which relies entirely on donkey defenders being caught flat-footed so he can run onto a through ball. Total waste of a transfer fee.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I think we, the club, have ruined him as a player and ruined his confidence with the way we've used him. Saying that, he was alright for us before his injury. Since his major injury he's been no good at all. Under different circumstances I think he would have done better for us. Certainly this is what Tony Bloom alluded to a few weeks back.

But we have to ask the question, why do strikers consistently underperform when playing for us? The only player to score a good number of goals for us was Ulloa, and that was simply because his class shone through and he is able to play in different systems.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Exactly. No striker shines with us. Even Leo badly under performed in his last season with us, because of how he was used. I shudder to think what damage he'll do for Leicester next season in teh championship if he is played as one of a pair!

Leo took over from CMS in January 2013 and scored 10 in 20 appearances. That side had pace on both flanks, and pace from midfield. It wasn't always direct but Ulloa flourished and adapted incredibly quickly. In the same team CMS managed 11 goals in 30 appearances.

The following season a new manager takes over, new playing squad, not so mobile, not so attacking, but Ulloa, having sat out part of the season injured still managed 16 goals in 38 appearances.

So if a striker scoring pretty much a goal every 2 games isn't shining for you in a side that finished 4th and 6th - then you have got some seriously high expectations! :lolol:

On saying all that, Murray and Barnes didn't seem to do too bad under our system either. I think we all know Murray would have continued to flourish. When I say 'we all' obviously I mean everyone apart from those making the decisions within the club...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
CMS was the Great White Hope, our big signing when we were basking in the fluzzy glow of a new stadium. And he sort of did OK in the first season - top scorer - a bit mediocre in the second, then he got a shocking injury but still put in a gem of a cross for Ulloa vs Forest.

He's always looked like he's tried and in the early days he was a dangerous forward. Now he looks like he's hiding on the field and he desperately needs a move.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It isn't just his first touch. It is his movement as well. When Hoskins played he showed what movement is required from a forward. Running around is not the same as movement.

Time to cut our losses.

What ever happened to Hoskins? Wasn't that another case of someone getting himself fit, playing a couple of games, looking ok and shipped out? Like Tommy?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think we, the club, have ruined him as a player and ruined his confidence with the way we've used him. Saying that, he was alright for us before his injury.

Really?

CMS's championship record (all clubs):
09/10 - 43 apps 10 goals
11/12 - 45 apps 9 goals
12/13 - 29 apps 11 goals
13/14 - 5 apps 0 goals

In his WHOLE career, including the Isthmian Prem, Conference, League Two, League One, he's got past 15 league goals - just TWICE in 15 seasons of football!

It is time to stop blaming managers and systems for this player's lack of ability.

D

Deleted member 22389

This is what he added last season

And he will do the same this season to save us.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
He's a nice bloke, always claps the fans, has that Roy of the Rovers look and tries hard. That's why, until recently, he's escaped the abuse the likes of Barnes, JFK and got.

No doubt he'll be back at Peterborough next season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As counter intuitive as this is, I don't think we can solely blame the lack of goals on the strikers.

If the team were creating chances, by now a goal would have gone in off a centre forwards arse.
There is something fundamentally wrong with the team, tactics, training, whatever, and that's playing out in front of goal.

CMS is gone and he's probably happy to leave.
His next contract will be his last, and he will score goals.
The simplistic (and justifiable) reason will be 'because it's league 1', but I bet wherever he ends up he'll have an 'assist man' putting him through for a one touch goals.

Gary1

Oct 25, 2013
Pisses me off when I see him coming on. Last night he comes on and then totally breaks up our play by giving away needless free kicks due to tripping up their players as soon as he gets near them

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here