[Cricket] West Indies v England - First Test

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
That is true...where is moheen Ali?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
So why play someone who you know? Why not find something out about someone different? Someone who scored more runs than anyone else in the Championship last year. Trott is not an opener, he has had his chance and is 33.

I would not have taken Tredwell.

Riley was the stand out spinner last season, did well with the performance squad and is then overlooked for the bloke he is keeping out of the county side.

Too many safe selections by Cook and Moores, who know with the demise of Downton, their jobs are on the line.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Is Rashid up to it? From what I read he bowled a lot of pies in the warm up. I agree that Tredwell is a damning indictment, and if there's nothing better than him then perhaps Rashid at 7 and as a 5th bowler isn't so bad, but I'd have liked to see them take a younger spinner for a bit of experience in the absence of Ali. I suppose the fact that the chairman of selectors, coach and captain all have their jobs on the line has probably factored into their thinking, to be fair they can't exactly plan for the long term at the moment given the noises made by Graves!

I don't know. No one does until he gets a chance. The probability is that he is more up to it than Tredwell though. Rashid took 46 wickets at 26 last year. Tredwell? Who even knows, he couldn't get in Kent's team.

Riley was the stand out spinner last season, did well with the performance squad and is then overlooked for the bloke he is keeping out of the county side.

Too many safe selections by Cook and Moores, who know with the demise of Downton, their jobs are on the line.

I agree on the safe selections. I suppose one other consideration may have been that, if Riley was unlikely to play in the Tests (i.e. would come as water carrier only), is he better off playing CC games for Kent instead? How many CC games would he have missed if he'd gone on the tour? At least with Tredwell there's no major problem with him missing games, as he wouldn't have played anyway!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

Agreed. Such a shame that Cook and Moores cannot see that it is their conservative nature that will lose them their job, rather than losing to the Windies.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I agree on the safe selections. I suppose one other consideration may have been that, if Riley was unlikely to play in the Tests (i.e. would come as water carrier only), is he better off playing CC games for Kent instead? How many CC games would he have missed if he'd gone on the tour? At least with Tredwell there's no major problem with him missing games, as he wouldn't have played anyway!

Four overs against Loughborough yesterday...

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
I predicted a duck for Trott and 14 for Cook. The first one has come in, I'm confident on the second.

KP's chief cheerleader Piers Organ was on TalkSport the other week and although he is a prize one he did have some very valid points about Trott and KP....

What Organ was basically saying was that Trott chickened out and cried off home while KP faced the Mitchell Johnston inspired barrage last winter. KP is made the scapegoat for that tour and yet Trott gets back in (without really putting runs on the board) and very soon he will (probably) be facing the same barrage from Johnston et al. While for KP he has to get probably a 1000 runs before the end of May against various university teams and other Div 2 championship sides to even get a sniff.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
This has been billed as some sort of confidence building jolly after the complete cock up of the World Cup...... :ffsparr:

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
This is going to be a very very painful Ashes summer. A bit like going back to the late 80s and 90s.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This is going to be a very very painful Ashes summer. A bit like going back to the late 80s and 90s.

Or worse. Australia had some useful bowlers then but nothing as fearsome as Johnson, Starc and Harris. If a pitch has any sort of pace in it, there'll be carnage

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Or worse. Australia had some useful bowlers then but nothing as fearsome as Johnson, Starc and Harris. If a pitch has any sort of pace in it, there'll be carnage

Last time out, we slowed the pitches down to take Harris and Starc out of the equation, but we also had Swann.

With a certain lack of match winning spinners, not sure what the approach will be this time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here