Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Labour to scrap A27 upgrades

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
FFS what do we pay our road taxes for ???

If you can afford to buy the right sort of new car, you don't pay road tax. If, however, you can only afford a cheap old car because you don't earn very much, the tories will happily sting you for road tax; it's the opposite of a progressive tax system. They probably love it ..........

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
If you can afford to buy the right sort of new car, you don't pay road tax. If, however, you can only afford a cheap old car because you don't earn very much, the tories will happily sting you for road tax; it's the opposite of a progressive tax system. They probably love it ..........

To prove your point you have failed to mention that small cars pay very little....Whilst those horrible rich people pay huge amounts of road tax for their Jaguars,Range Rovers..Rollers etc

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
To prove your point you have failed to mention that small cars pay very little....Whilst those horrible rich people pay huge amounts of road tax for their Jaguars,Range Rovers..Rollers etc
Plenty of tax free Lexus's, and Jaguars come pretty cheap, road tax wise (free in the first year, £20 a year thereafter) Take a look: http://www.nextgreencar.com/car-tax/make-model/jaguar/all-models/. A ten year old Nissan Micra costs seven times as much, so you will see that I was omitting nothing to 'prove my point'.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof

what-if-i-wasnt-like-sure-if-serious-or-not-serious.jpg

Yoda

English & European
Found it! :)

https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/media/1599/a27_route_strategy_presentation_v2.pdf

This is a 150 odd page detailed study from Atkins consulting engineers. From page 97 onwards it gives detailed drawings of the proposed improvements along the route. No by-passes in site, which is what all 3 really need. :down:

Seeing as for some reason I cannot edit this post now, this (https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/media/1600/a27_routestrategy_finalreport_d8_v2point1b.pdf) is the final report. The (same) detailed drawings start from page 102, but a little bigger.

I cannot see how the proposal for Lancing Manor roundabout will improve things, as with that signalled crossroads will only work if one set of lights is green at a time.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
To be clear, the only part of the current plans shelved in the arundel bypass and largely due to environmental concerns which need sorting before a final route can be decided on. All other aspects of the current plan will go ahead.

But let's not let the truth get in the way here

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
Seeing as for some reason I cannot edit this post now, this (https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/media/1600/a27_routestrategy_finalreport_d8_v2point1b.pdf) is the final report. The (same) detailed drawings start from page 102, but a little bigger.

I cannot see how the proposal for Lancing Manor roundabout will improve things, as with that signalled crossroads will only work if one set of lights is green at a time.

That document is not the current DfT / Highways England major schemes for Chichester, Arundel and Worthing-Lancing. It is a report prepared for West Sussex County Council on what interim improvements for the A27 would be possible to be implemented relatively quickly if major schemes were a long time coming. None of the designs in that report are committed to be constructed, as far as I am aware, but it was a useful exercise in raising the profile of A27 issues. It was published in summer 2013 and this was followed by Govt confirming that there would be a major scheme for Chichester Bypass in December 2013 and Arundel and Worthing-Lancing 12 months later. The general election does put all back up for grabs though. If Labour do get in and put Arundel Bypass back on hold, then the designs in that report for the Arundel and Crossbush junctions may be more likely to happen in my view as a sort of compromise.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
It's certainly not what the Tory Secretary of State has promised the parish councils between Lewes and Polegate. Neither he nor the Highways Agency think dualling is necessary.

Linking Portsmouth, Brighton, Eastbourne and Hastings with a combined population of 2m with surrounding areas with 1950s roads is business inhibiting.Politicians not to be and never should be trusted!!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
To be clear, the only part of the current plans shelved in the arundel bypass and largely due to environmental concerns which need sorting before a final route can be decided on. All other aspects of the current plan will go ahead.

So shelving just the Arundel by-pass and some work on the A358 is going to provide enough money to freeze rail fairs NATIONALLY for a YEAR?

It's ironic that the A358 upgrade is close to the Yeovil seat that Lib Dem David Laws will be fighting, the same David Laws that sat down and talked with Labour after the 2010 election before rejecting them for the Tories. It is also conceivable that he could be part of the Lib Dem team negotiating with Labour re coalition on 8th May.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

Few conservatives on here who now have egg on their face to accompany their wet underwear

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
It's certainly not what the Tory Secretary of State has promised the parish councils between Lewes and Polegate. Neither he nor the Highways Agency think dualling is necessary.

None of whom I suspect are locals, because when you look at traffic flows on that road now, it is a barmy conclusion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here