Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rotherham fielded an ineligible player against Albion

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I wasn't at the game but apparently he made a goal saving block from a Bennett shot towards the end of the match. Anyone remember this?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I really don't agree with those saying that the points should NOT be awarded to the opposition. Only removing the points from from the transgressors, is suggesting that the presence of the ineligable player was to the BENEFIT of them and yet somehow NOT to the DETRIMENT of the opposition. This is completely illogical.

Running with [MENTION=5]Turkey[/MENTION] 's example above - say we play Millwall on the last day, and they are a point behind us in the last relegation spot - we don't actually need any points if they don't get any. We field Leo Ulloa, who is down for the weekend and fancies helping out. Leo scores 2 and we win 2-0. The league deduct the 3 points we'd illegally won, but Millwall still get 0 and are relegated. How is this possibly just?

In both your example and Turkeys there would be an obvious intent to benefit and it's nothing like a rather stupid oversight on a loan player who had already been there for a month. I think the FA may do more than just deduct 3 points if any club were to be as stupid as you and Turkey are suggesting.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The stance on this is also at odds with that taken if it is a cup game. If a club is found to have have fielded an illegible player in a cup win, they are thrown out, and the team they beat go through. They don't say that the victors are disqualified, but the opposition lost so are still out, too.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Blackpool lost that game though so I think that's why they weren't deducted any points.

But Blackpool lost so did not gain any points. Rotherham gained 3 points so logically will loose them

I can see the logic so on that basis Rotherham should get points docked PLUS a fine ???

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
In both your example and Turkeys there would be an obvious intent to benefit and it's nothing like a rather stupid oversight on a loan player who had already been there for a month. I think the FA may do more than just deduct 3 points if any club were to be as stupid as you and Turkey are suggesting.

It's giving a deliberately extreme example, as an illustration, yes.

The point is, how can you possibly maintain that the player's presence has not adversely affected the opposition?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
In a perfect world, Rotherham would be deducted 3 points AND the game replayed.

There is a precedent of sorts: this is what happened to Middlesbrough in 1996/7 when they cried off from a home game against Blackburn without prior approval (citing illness). They had 3 points deducted and the game was replayed. They won the game when it was eventually replayed but those deducted 3 points ended up relegating them.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

The point is, how can you possibly maintain that the player's presence has not adversely affected the opposition?

I don't think there is a perfect solution so the one currently in place seems as good as any and certainly better than awarding 3 points to us as I doubt we would have scored if we'd played all weekend! we did nothing wrong but we didn't do anything to deserve picking up the full three points which could in another scenario have hurt a team around us in the relegation mix?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

You can't. But I suppose in this case you can easily argue that the quality of the loan player was not sufficient to provide a score changing disadvantage. It is little more than a judgement call though.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

.......a bit more than a simple administrative oversight when the loan had actually expired and was not renewed by the players's club - more like chronic mismanagement but given Evans' history.........???

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I suppose the *fairest* thing to do would be for Rotherham to have 3 points docked and then the match replayed. As it is, I'd be quite happy for them to just lose the points as a) it nicely increases our buffer to the bottom 3 and b) we'd probably lose the replayed game against them anyway!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You can't. But I suppose in this case you can easily argue that the quality of the loan player was not sufficient to provide a score changing disadvantage. It is little more than a judgement call though.

It can't be a judgement call though. It has to be a clear rule. If any player is good enough to be selected (and in this case, play 90 minutes, keep a clean sheet, and make a goal saving block tackle) then he's by default positively affected the game in his team's favour. You have to assume that whatever the level of his performance, he's playing because the other options available to the side were judged inferior. Otherwise he wouldn't be selected at all.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Ha ha I was about to say the same thing. Not like he doesn't have a history with all sorts of dodgy arrangements and such. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Evans had arranged the loan agreement and signed the paperwork! :moo:

I'd hate to be the admin guy responsible. Bet there will be an interesting fracas when Evans meets him/her in the corridor.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
I suppose the *fairest* thing to do would be for Rotherham to have 3 points docked and then the match replayed. As it is, I'd be quite happy for them to just lose the points as a) it nicely increases our buffer to the bottom 3 and b) we'd probably lose the replayed game against them anyway!

If the game is replayed and rotherham win again they get 3 points back so lose nothing ,thus are given a second chance . The decision should be to dock them 3 pts as a punishment as well as a fine . Also award 3 points to the team played against as no matter how large or small a part the player played he still would have influenced the game. .

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It can't be a judgement call though. It has to be a clear rule. If any player is good enough to be selected (and in this case, play 90 minutes, keep a clean sheet, and make a goal saving block tackle) then he's by default positively affected the game in his team's favour. You have to assume that whatever the level of his performance, he's playing because the other options available to the side were judged inferior. Otherwise he wouldn't be selected at all.

I do agree with you, it has to be a rule. My rule would be "3 points deduction and game replayed". However, in reality, I am wondering whether his inclusion would have affected the result. It might have done, but I suspect the conclusion of the FA will be that with Leon Best up front and half a side made up of loan signings, Brighton are shìt and wouldn't have scored if the game had lasted 900 minutes.

My guess - and this is based on the current standing - is that Rotherham will be deducted ONE point. Which conveniently puts Millwall and Wigan both back to within two games of overhauling them (rather than three), whilst putting them back to needing two games to overhaul us, rather than one.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The stance on this is also at odds with that taken if it is a cup game. If a club is found to have have fielded an illegible player in a cup win, they are thrown out, and the team they beat go through.

That's not what happened to Chesterfield when they beat MK Dons after fielding an ineligible player: the game was ordered to be replayed

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I really don't agree with those saying that the points should NOT be awarded to the opposition. Only removing the points from from the transgressors, is suggesting that the presence of the ineligable player was to the BENEFIT of them and yet somehow NOT to the DETRIMENT of the opposition. This is completely illogical.

Running with [MENTION=5]Turkey[/MENTION] 's example above - say we play Millwall on the last day, and they are a point behind us in the last relegation spot - we don't actually need any points if they don't get any. We field Leo Ulloa, who is down for the weekend and fancies helping out. Leo scores 2 and we win 2-0. The league deduct the 3 points we'd illegally won, but Millwall still get 0 and are relegated. How is this possibly just?
fair point and that's hopefully where common sense comes into play and the general rule is changed for that situation. I'm uneasy with the idea that a club, say Brighton escape relegation but then are relegated because points are awarded to a rival team e.g. Millwall because say Wolves fielded an ineligible player against Milwall 5 months before. OK they might say that Wolves and Millwall should replay, Millwall having lost the first time, but then Millwall win the replay and that results in innocent Albion relegated

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
and they are away to Fulham on Wednesday. Useful news this for us but especially handy if you are Fulham.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That's not what happened to Chesterfield when they beat MK Dons after fielding an ineligible player: the game was ordered to be replayed

The reason that happened was that they found that Wolves had provided the necessary paperwork by the deadline for their loan player to play, and that all necessary permissions were in place other than C'field informing the FA correctly. In their finding the FA accepted that Chesterfield hadn't actually done anything wrong, or sort to gain and advantage, and while they could have been chucked out, a replay at MKDons was deemed suitable punishment for what was described as a technicality.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think its this.."any points gained" being key rule...

"Any Club found to have played an ineligible Player in a match shall have any points gained
from that match deducted from its record and have levied upon it a fine."
http://www.thefa.com/~/media/files/...e-association/2013-14/standardised-rules.ashx
Yes, but just to muddy the waters, it goes on to say:
"6.9 PLAYING AN INELIGIBLE PLAYER
Any Club found to have played an ineligible Player in a match shall have any points gained
from that match deducted from its record and have levied upon it a fine. The Company
may vary this decision in respect of the points gained only in circumstances where the
ineligibility is due to the failure to obtain an International Transfer Certificate or where the
ineligibility is related to the Player’s status only.
The Board may also order that such match be replayed on such terms as are decided by the
Board which may also levy penalty points against the Club in default."

I think Rotherham losing the three points, and maybe a small fine, should be all that happens. I really don't want an extra match this bloody awful season!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here