Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lost the passion?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It missed the post by about an inch. Reading what I have on here this season, that's pretty good for us.

It was a good shot and very close to being in. I felt that was a better attempt than Best's backpass to the keeper.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Not getting drawn into it, you're clearly an admirer and I'm not really that bothered to have a view picked apart.

I don't like the bloke nor his manner. It's not a reflection of how good he may or may not be or VFM. Senior blokes bullshitting is a fairly common trait too

I admire my late mum and my Dad and possibly my old History Teacher but the not the CEO of a football club. And i've never even met him but i think he talks a lot of sense, his commitment to helping and resolving problems or complaints with fans (as recalled on here in many anecdotes even from fans who never previously took to him) is impressive and although he gets accused of all sorts of heinous things, when you ask for examples or specifics it normally never stands up. Like here.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I admire my late mum and my Dad and possibly my old History Teacher but the not the CEO of a football club. And i've never even met him but i think he talks a lot of sense, his commitment to helping and resolving problems or complaints with fans (as recalled on here in many anecdotes even from fans who never previously took to him) is impressive and although he gets accused of all sorts of heinous things, when you ask for examples or specifics it normally never stands up. Like here.

I can give you specifics but I can't be ar**d getting into an argument over it. It's a matter of opinion I don't like the bloke and I've got good reason imo. Just like Cameron and Milliband et al. People have views and in their minds they are right.

I've been to 2 meetings with him and had direct contact and from that I've formed a view ... patronising and BS

You're entitled to your view, I respect that. But, I've seen/heard anything to change mine, and I haven't the stamina or interest to go into detail to justify it

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton

I will give you a specific. How about the pre season that he informed us that all season tickets were to increase by up to £50 to cover transport costs, then when all tickets were renewed, he informed supporters who had paid the £50 that their special buses from Shoreham and Rottingdean were no longer going to be operate. He then went on to say, that Seagull Travel would continue these routes at a FURTHER charge of £75. I think that was a sneaky way to treat a lot of fans. What say you?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I will give you a specific. How about the pre season that he informed us that all season tickets were to increase by up to £50 to cover transport costs, then when all tickets were renewed, he informed supporters who had paid the £50 that their special buses from Shoreham and Rottingdean were no longer going to be operate. He then went on to say, that Seagull Travel would continue these routes at a FURTHER charge of £75. I think that was a sneaky way to treat a lot of fans. What say you?

Not to quibble, but the club has to pay a vast amount to maintain it's travel subsidy included in the season ticket price. With increasing bus and train prices, even with two services removed, I don't think he was misleading when he said that personally.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Not to quibble, but the club has to pay a vast amount to maintain it's travel subsidy included in the season ticket price. With increasing bus and train prices, even with two services removed, I don't think he was misleading when he said that personally.

So do you think at the time, when the plan was to increase the transport subsidy on every ticket by up to £50, he did not know that 2 months later he would scrap those two bus routes and hand them over to Seagulls Travel, to charge those fans a further £75. Do you think that was all negotiated with Seagull Travel as an after thought then?,

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I can give you specifics but I can't be ar**d getting into an argument over it. It's a matter of opinion I don't like the bloke and I've got good reason imo. Just like Cameron and Milliband et al. People have views and in their minds they are right.

I've been to 2 meetings with him and had direct contact and from that I've formed a view ... patronising and BS

You're entitled to your view, I respect that. But, I've seen/heard anything to change mine, and I haven't the stamina or interest to go into detail to justify it

You've said it for me. I've met PB quite a few times too.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

I say sneaky, have you taken the issue up wtih him?

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I say sneaky, have you taken the issue up wtih him?

I did at the time, I went to the ground but, was met by the customer services manager who offered to return my season ticket money.
It didn't matter to her that I still wanted to support my club. And of course that season they still had a waiting list for ST's.

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
- The spin;
I doubt the club has ever had a more approachable Chief Exec, or committed Chairman.
I don't like some of the politicking but that's 'big' business in the 21st Century.
American Express isn't buying into a local club for local people.

- The number of disaffected ex-employees and ex-suppliers, loyal individuals, who are highly critical of what's gone on over the last 4 years;
If I only listened to those with an axe to grind, I'd be pee'ed off too.

- The disconnect with players (no settled squad, too many money grabbing loan rubbish);
Fair comment.
Although I assume the academy is their to change that in the future.

- The utter lack of passion on the pitch (barring a few heroic individuals like Calde and CMS - who sadly don't possess enough skill); and
- The very poor quality of play on the pitch.

It's 1 (one) bad season, will the top learn from their mistakes?
We'll know in just 4 months time.

Finally a sensible post. What a load of negative old whingebags on this thread.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

] So do you think at the time, when the plan was to increase the transport subsidy on every ticket by up to £50, he did not know that 2 months later he would scrap those two bus routes and hand them over to Seagulls Travel, to charge those fans a further £75. Do you think that was all negotiated with Seagull Travel as an after thought then?,

Paul Barber has been in contact with me about this and these are his comments

" I’ve just had the current thread regarding the club – or me, specifically!! – being “sneaky” in withdrawing P, R and S bus services from Rottingdean AFTER season ticket prices and an increase to the fan cost of the travel subsidy had been announced – referred to me.

I understand you are involved in the debate on NSC so perhaps you can provide the background if it’s helpful (it’s match day and I’m in between the training ground and stadium, so forgive the quick note):

This issue was back in 2013, so to help refresh people’s memories:

- season ticket prices are set and agreed in January/February (in this case, it would have been early February 2013)

- transport plans for season 2013/14 were finalised in June/July 2013 – some 4 or 5 months later

- unfortunately, as I think I said at the time (in Seagulls Player videos explaining what had happened), travel companies do not work to a football club’s calendar, they work to their own!

- as such, we could not have foreseen that the P, R and S services would be withdrawn when season ticket renewals were announced as it hadn’t even been discussed at that point!

To be clear, the reasons for the withdrawal of the P, R and S services were as follows:

- the special P, S and R services were encountering considerable operational difficulties. Because they were not pre-booked, demand varied considerably and these were the only services about which the club were constantly receiving complaints.

- secondly the services created “artificial Park and Ride sites” clogging up parking areas in Rottingdean and Shoreham; we were getting complaints from local traders who were impacted on match days. They also created safety concerns at the end of the match because the buses left very promptly after the final whistle creating a surge to catch the bus.

- the services were therefore withdrawn and replaced with a pre-booked system provided by Seagull Travel. The advantage of the replacement services was that they started further afield and therefore prevented the need to drive to Rottingdean or Shoreham centres. Pre-booking also meant guaranteeing a seat and supporters would not be frustrated when a full bus is unable to stop at intermediate points, and the timing of buses leaving the stadium will allow supporters more time to board the bus.

- there’s a cost for this service but it is still subsidised by the club. If supporters did not wish to pay for this improved service however, the match ticket still provides for a subsidised service on the stage carriage bus network via the various coastal services or using the train service.

- Given that we had commenced renewals some months earlier, we offered to refund season tickets if people could not afford the additional cost to use Seagulls Travel service and did not want to take longer or alternative routes.

Unfortunately, in business as in life(!), not everything always works in perfect sequence. Once again, I can only apologise if this particular issue inconvenienced some supporters but it wasn’t anyone being “sneaky”, “misleading”, or “deceitful” as appears to have been suggested. In the circumstances, I’m really not sure what else the club could have done to prevent it or to give people more flexibility to avoid the additional cost."

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Paul Barber has been in contact with me about this and these are his comments

" I’ve just had the current thread regarding the club – or me, specifically!! – being “sneaky” in withdrawing P, R and S bus services from Rottingdean AFTER season ticket prices and an increase to the fan cost of the travel subsidy had been announced – referred to me.

I understand you are involved in the debate on NSC so perhaps you can provide the background if it’s helpful (it’s match day and I’m in between the training ground and stadium, so forgive the quick note):

This issue was back in 2013, so to help refresh people’s memories:

- season ticket prices are set and agreed in January/February (in this case, it would have been early February 2013)

- transport plans for season 2013/14 were finalised in June/July 2013 – some 4 or 5 months later

3- unfortunately, as I think I said at the time (in Seagulls Player videos explaining what had happened), travel companies do not work to a football club’s calendar, they work to their own!

- as such, we could not have foreseen that the P, R and S services would be withdrawn when season ticket renewals were announced as it hadn’t even been discussed at that point!

To be clear, the reasons for the withdrawal of the P, R and S services were as follows:

1 - the special P, S and R services were encountering considerable operational difficulties. Because they were not pre-booked, demand varied considerably and these were the only services about which the club were constantly receiving complaints.

2- secondly the services created “artificial Park and Ride sites” clogging up parking areas in Rottingdean and Shoreham; we were getting complaints from local traders who were impacted on match days. They also created safety concerns at the end of the match because the buses left very promptly after the final whistle creating a surge to catch the bus.

- the services were therefore withdrawn and replaced with a pre-booked system provided by Seagull Travel. The advantage of the replacement services was that they started further afield and therefore prevented the need to drive to Rottingdean or Shoreham centres. Pre-booking also meant guaranteeing a seat and supporters would not be frustrated when a full bus is unable to stop at intermediate points, and the timing of buses leaving the stadium will allow supporters more time to board the bus.

- there’s a cost for this service but it is still subsidised by the club. If supporters did not wish to pay for this improved service however, the match ticket still provides for a subsidised service on the stage carriage bus network via the various coastal services or using the train service.

- Given that we had commenced renewals some months earlier, we offered to refund season tickets if people could not afford the additional cost to use Seagulls Travel service and did not want to take longer or alternative routes.

Unfortunately, in business as in life(!), not everything always works in perfect sequence. Once again, I can only apologise if this particular issue inconvenienced some supporters but it wasn’t anyone being “sneaky”, “misleading”, or “deceitful” as appears to have been suggested. In the circumstances, I’m really not sure what else the club could have done to prevent it or to give people more flexibility to avoid the additional cost."

1 How can the demand vary, surely after two seasons the season tickets had not fallen, so why would the demand fallen for these buses. Surely after two seasons usage and demand must have been known?.
Why did they have more complaints from these routes as opposed to the remaining routes and are these remaining Racehill, Mithras House and Mill Road routes pre booked now?

2 How did the service being replaced by Seagull Travel cure the unofficial park and ride complaints, Surely if you were picked up in Rottingdean, Cowley Drive for example, you would not drive further out to catch this service and as Seagull Travel used the same pick up points I would suggest the people carried on driving to the same pick up points and parked as previous.

Why did the queues for these buses at the end of the game cause anymore of a rush than current ones?

3 The club were fortunate then that the bus companies agreed to come to aid of the club at short notice, for the increased demand at the Park and Ride sites which obviously increased with the scrapping of these routes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here