Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Schoolboy goalkeeping.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I think Stockdale has taken some very unfair stick this season, and has largely been very good lately. For me, he and Kayal (apart from his missed chance) were the only players to come out of the Rotherham game with any credit. However, moving towards your wall, when you are supposed to cover the other side, is a basic error. That said, Dunk was the main culprit. If you were going to take the Bournemouth player out, it should have been done further up the pitch. It concerned me how easily Halford was beaten though, just as he was in the Rotherham game, as up to then he had been excellent.

How was dunk (the last outfield line of defence) meant to be taking him out higher up the pitch? Surely that is the job of other outfield players - such as the person who was meant to be marking (bennett in this case). Dunk was already marking his man & had to abandon him to make the challenge / foul. If he hasn't made the foul they would have been clean through.

Normally free kicks end up in the stands, so we were a tad unlucky & weren't helped by ds anticipating it & moving left

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How was dunk (the last outfield line of defence) meant to be taking him out higher up the pitch? Surely that is the job of other outfield players - such as the person who was meant to be marking (bennett in this case). Dunk was already marking his man & had to abandon him to make the challenge / foul. If he hasn't made the foul they would have been clean through.

Normally free kicks end up in the stands, so we were a tad unlucky & weren't helped by ds anticipating it & moving left

A neutral friend watching on TV sent me a text, saying it was a silly free kick to give away. Not a goalkeeping error or the wall, but the free kick was avoidable.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
and then people can slaughter him for just about every goal we concede that isn't a one on one inside the six yard box...

It was a very good free kick. To save it would have involved very high standard goalkeeping skills being flawlessly executed. Anticipation and footwork, then gross body movement, fine tuning and "hands" all in perfect harmony with no small error...

Stockdale's general play tonight in coming for balls and distribution was near perfection. In other games recently he has added excellent saves on top. Tonight he didn't. So what? We are not Chelsea.

Bournemouth had two shots on target all night and they both went in, one between his legs and the other where he had been standing one second earlier. Other than that he had a stormer.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
When I saw it I thought stockdale was going to stupidly stand behind the wall he made and leave the right side open but he then seemed cover the right but looking at the photo it seems I was right initially and he was badly positioned ! I wondered how he could have spent 3 minutes making up the wall and then let it fly past where he was covering himself - crap keeping in the least! It was well taken but should have been saved

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Cor we have a lot of keeping experts on here. Who knows what stockdale saw for him to take that step, maybe their bloke did him with his eyes and body shape. Maybe the players ignored stockdale when he was trying to position his wall. Maybe it was a cock up, who knows.
If one of ours had taken the shot I think we would be saying it was s good strike and not keeper error

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
After his last near post error a few weeks back I joked to a former player on the way out that I could have saved that with no hands. He replied that he could have saved it with no legs as well. Same again then, if he had stayed evenly balanced, like tennis plays awaiting a serve, he could have headed it clear instead of diving like a demented sealion when the ball hits not far off centre of the goal

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
You can blame Dunk for giving away the free kick but if he'd gone on to score we'd have all said 'why didn't someone take one for the team and bring him down' so it's horses for courses.

Stockdale fault 99% - it was a mistake, as the one step to his left meant he was flat footed and could not move to his left, the ball wasn't even in the corner that's the irritating thing, if it's a worldie free kick you can accept it but when you know the keepers made an elementary mistake by stepping to the side covered by the wall when if he'd just stood where he was it would have been an easy save. Disappointing and it cost us a point at least because neither team looked really like making the breakthrough.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Cor we have a lot of keeping experts on here. Who knows what stockdale saw for him to take that step, maybe their bloke did him with his eyes and body shape. Maybe the players ignored stockdale when he was trying to position his wall. Maybe it was a cock up, who knows.
If one of ours had taken the shot I think we would be saying it was s good strike and not keeper error

Many, many ex-pro 'keepers on here

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
this is a bit of a silly argument
generally stockdale has been good
our main problems are at the other end
BUT you do not need to be a goalkeeping expert
to know what the wall is for.If the striker can bend it
like beckham around or over the wall well done him
but if it goes into the net on the goalies side in this
case pretty much where the goalie normally stands
it is a goalkeeping error

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
He took a step which didn't help but it was still a top free-kick, whatever way you look at it. It happens. Stockdale's cost us a few points this season (not last night, in my opinion) but he's also made some brilliant stops which have earned us some too. Same with his distribution. One or two mistakes - but on the whole , it's superb. The accuracy of most of his kicking is exceptional. Clearly a very good goalkeeper as is Walton, and one area where we don't need an overhaul.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
People its nothing to do with being anti Stockdale its a basic goalkeeping error if you set the wall up to your left and position yourself to the right then the only way you can
be beaten is from a brilliant free kick up and down over the wall.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
People its nothing to do with being anti Stockdale its a basic goalkeeping error if you set the wall up to your left and position yourself to the right then the only way you can
That is the exact point I was making on the last page. If you get beaten over the wall by a stunner, so be it you can accept that but essentially what Stockdale did was make the wall completely irrelevant, you have to trust the wall otherwise you might as well not have one, any free kick placed in the left third of the goal would have gone in.

I'm not a Stockdale basher, but it was a mistake - anyone who can't see that needs to open their eyes.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
That is the exact point I was making on the last page. If you get beaten over the wall by a stunner, so be it you can accept that but essentially what Stockdale did was make the wall completely irrelevant, you have to trust the wall otherwise you might as well not have one, any free kick placed in the left third of the goal would have gone in.

I'm not a Stockdale basher, but it was a mistake - anyone who can't see that needs to open their eyes.

I think most people can acknowledge he could have done better, but I think people are just bored of the anti-Stockdale hatred on here. He's played very well recently but he seldom receives praise, yet a lot of people crawl out of the woodwork when he makes a mistake. The problem is magnified due to other major deficiencies in the squad, sadly.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I think most people can acknowledge he could have done better, but I think people are just bored of the anti-Stockdale hatred on here. He's played very well recently but he seldom receives praise, yet a lot of people crawl out of the woodwork when he makes a mistake. The problem is magnified due to other major deficiencies in the squad, sadly.
Indeed. Pretty much because when we concede a goal everyone looks at it because it normally costs us the game! An obvious thing to say but some teams win games 2-1 3-1, we couldn't score in a brothel... We've not even got into the brothel in our last few games. :lolol:

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
He tries to predict that a right footed player would go over the wall. he was wrong and was a mistake. It goes pretty much throughout the spot he was originally standing at.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Another point DS has cost as without his and Dunks mistake we would have got a draw.

Good free kick as he saw the space DS left uncovered.
Impossible to state whether or not one or the other lost us a point. Too many variables and the game is entirely unpredictable.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003

This 100%

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
If you coach 'keepers you'll hopefully agree that the free-kick was at near enough the optimum distance for getting the ball over the wall with room to keep it under the bar. From the position the ball was placed there were options of left or right of Stockdale's almost central starting position. There was no need for Kermogant to show where he was going to place it in that his run-up gave nothing away. It was beautifully struck with just enough pace. That would have beaten most goalkeepers.

Had Stockdale stood where he was, he would have caught it comfortably. It wasn't a good free kick, it needed the goalkeeper to take a walk for it to have any chance of going in. It should have been a routine save, but it wasn't because once again our over-confident goalkeeper had a sloppy moment. There have been too many of them, and he's proven himself to be unreliable. Some matches he's made a massive difference and looked a top goalkeeper, but other games he's cost us goals with stupid, and schoolboy errors. He's a Wayne Henderson, unreliable from minute to minute - rather than a Michel Kuipers who was consistent and steady, and who spoiled us with his consistent brilliance.

A neutral friend watching on TV sent me a text, saying it was a silly free kick to give away. Not a goalkeeping error or the wall, but the free kick was avoidable.

Easy to say it was avoidable when they score the free-kick.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
If he stays where he is he can probably just catch the ball. It was a clear goalkeeping error. He gets criticism because he's made lots of errors and lots of half-errors (where he should be doing better) this season. I don't think he's good enough for a promotion-chasing team (if that's what we want to be). Certainly he was a waste of £1 million.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here