Is Hughton the man to take us forward ?

• Yes keep him

Votes: 161 74.5%
  • No BIN him

Votes: 55 25.5%

• Total voters

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I have voted "no" as I have seen no improvement (and in fact a deterioration) in application and effort since he pitched up.

Some truly baffling team selections, and unbelievable substitutions. We moaned at Gus and Oscar having no "plan B", but CH only appears to have one style of play....hoofball. Not attractive or exciting...or WORKING.

He just doesn't seem to know how to motivate the players. Too much finger-pointing and bickering (usually by Greer blaming somebody else for HIS mistake)

But what decided me was him "bigging up" that lazy **** Best. Really? Got his mate a nice bung for standing about and making no contribution whatsoever hasn't he.

Blimey pretty much disagree with all of that other the inexplicable use of Leon Best. Hughton has gone through plans A,B,C and D showing a willingness to shake things in a way that neither of our previous three managers would have done. He has to do that because we need to scrap our way out of the bottom three, the table suggests he has made a reasonable fist of it. Whilst we can all agree that Best is pony, the one permanent signing to come in under Hughton's reign is now currently our best player, I hope he has an equally successful hit-rate in the summer.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I think it is fair to say every member of the squad has had their chance to stake a claim since Hughton has been here and even Stevie Wonder could see that most of them are League 1 quality at best. If Bloom is serious about a top 6 finish next season he will have to seriously dig deep to fund a squad to do it, we've done our part by renewing our season tickets so it is up to him to do his.

If a better quality manager became available then we would be stupid to ignore his claims too.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I think it is fair to say every member of the squad has had their chance to stake a claim since Hughton has been here and even Stevie Wonder could see that most of them are League 1 quality at best. If Bloom is serious about a top 6 finish next season he will have to seriously dig deep to fund a squad to do it, we've done our part by renewing our season tickets so it is up to him to do his.

If a better quality manager became available then we would be stupid to ignore his claims too.

There are no capitals in your post so presumably you're not hiding this time . . so . .

. . do you honestly think we'd attract a better manager than Hughton seeing as you've just claimed that most of the squad are League 1 quality? The truth is we have a good first 10 (bar the striker), and one or two that could cover a position if need be and Hughton is doing as much as he can with the squad. We'd be utterly stupid to entertain a miracle should a better manager come along while we're in this mess. Try giving the manager time with new players, and yes Hyypia was a mistake but Hughton has experience and promotions under his belt.

Frankly I really don't want to watch you revel in posting tedious new hiding-behind-capitals threads about the club when we dare to lose a game or two so I bloody hope Bloom gives Hughton some players.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
There are no capitals in your post so presumably you're not hiding this time . . so . .

. . do you honestly think we'd attract a better manager than Hughton seeing as you've just claimed that most of the squad are League 1 quality? The truth is we have a good first 10 (bar the striker), and one or two that could cover a position if need be and Hughton is doing as much as he can with the squad. We'd be utterly stupid to entertain a miracle should a better manager come along while we're in this mess. Try giving the manager time with new players, and yes Hyypia was a mistake but Hughton has experience and promotions under his belt.

Frankly I really don't want to watch you revel in posting tedious new hiding-behind-capitals threads about the club when we dare to lose a game or two so I bloody hope Bloom gives Hughton some players.

Brighton fans for years and I'm talking 30+ have DEMANDED entertainment and swagger , I'd rather take a punt on seeing if Gus would come back and give him the backing to get the job done this time

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
too vanilla and bland for me, but where the club is now I think he's about a good as going to attract. If he was given a half decent squad next year I am sure he could probably make the playoffs and then we can take our chances there. That said, I don't see anything to say he's the type of manager (like Howe or a Dyche) who will take a 'reasonable' squad, motivate them to play at their peak ability and go on a sustained run from the start and basically put themselves in and keep themselves in the automatic promotion spots all year. So for me he is best we can get at present but unless there is a massive improvement in squad quality he'll simply be a manager to keep us in the Championship safely, competitive most of the time but probably not setting it alight any time soon.

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
Brighton fans for years and I'm talking 30+ have DEMANDED entertainment and swagger , I'd rather take a punt on seeing if Gus would come back and give him the backing to get the job done this time

I bet we could get Briductt and Buckley back for cheap. I geniuinely wouldn't mind Poyet coming back. As long as he said he was sorry and he didn't complain about glass ceilings.

Poyet only manager in my lifetime where we have looked like a proper footballing side. One with football that is actually fun to watch.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I bet we could get Briductt and Buckley back for cheap. I geniuinely wouldn't mind Poyet coming back. As long as he said he was sorry and he didn't complain about glass ceilings.

Poyet only manager in my lifetime where we have looked like a proper footballing side. One with football that is actually fun to watch.

You clearly have forgotten some of the dire stuff we watched under Poyet, although successful at times, to say that it was exciting would be wrong
And the endless passing from side to side in the back 4.

No thanks to Poyet returning

As for Bridcutt and Buckley, they may well come cheap on a transfer fee front, but will be earning pretty much double what we would want to pay, I cant see either giving up the salary unless they are paid of handsomely

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
You clearly have forgotten some of the dire stuff we watched under Poyet, although successful at times, to say that it was exciting would be wrong
And the endless passing from side to side in the back 4.

No thanks to Poyet returning

As for Bridcutt and Buckley, they may well come cheap on a transfer fee front, but will be earning pretty much double what we would want to pay, I cant see either giving up the salary unless they are paid of handsomely

I agree it was often pretty unexciting but it was the consistently the best football I have seen us play. Just seemed like we had confidence that it would work and it did. We were almost always the better team. I would like it it he had a bit more of a plan B.

Anyway, it won't happen.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am having my doubts,
as what he has brought in are no better than what we have so why would TB want to give him 5 -10m in the summer to strengthen the squad? Assuming that is the plan.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Hughton is just so negative. His teams have been scoring less than a goal a game over the last 100 games. That is relegation form no matter how good your defence is. Got away with it for one season at Norwich, then failed. He will get away with it this season because Blackpool, Wigan and Millwall are so poor. Does anyone believe he will become more attacking next year for a promotion push? Can't see it myself.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I think we should have a new manager every, say 3 months to keep things fresh. We don't need stability or continuity. Our fourth manager at The Amex should become the fifth, then the sixth and so on 4 times a year. That'll sort it and show 'em.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I am having my doubts,
as what he has brought in are no better than what we have so why would TB want to give him 5 -10m in the summer to strengthen the squad? Assuming that is the plan.

Hughton is just so negative. His teams have been scoring less than a goal a game over the last 100 games. That is relegation form no matter how good your defence is. Got away with it for one season at Norwich, then failed. He will get away with it this season because Blackpool, Wigan and Millwall are so poor. Does anyone believe he will become more attacking next year for a promotion push? Can't see it myself.

Last night he got his tactics bang on against the top team. Until Kayal went off we could have got a point or even nicked it. No-one on here would have excluded Ince from the first 11 but it worked.

We were shite after the goal but Dunk is showing worrying signs of fairly consistent terrible judgement. I'd buy Halford and another CB, a left back, and two strikers. Maybe a winger too.

I think we should have a new manager every, say 3 months to keep things fresh. We don't need stability or continuity. Our fourth manager at The Amex should become the fifth, then the sixth and so on 4 times a year. That'll sort it and show 'em.

Heheh

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We were shite after the goal but Dunk is showing worrying signs of fairly consistent terrible judgement. I'd buy Halford and another CB, a left back, and two strikers. Maybe a winger too.

How good did Cook and Elphick look! :tantrum::tantrum::tantrum:

D

Deleted member 2719

Thanks to reminding me why I won't be losing 7hrs plus a Saturday to watch his negative dross on a regular basis anymore.:thumbsup:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

His Birmingham team scored 78 goals when they finished 4th in 2012 - that was 9 more goals than the champions Reading. Newcastle scored 90 when he managed them to the title in 2010. Newcastle had a quality squad but that doesn't guarantee titles, and Birmingham punched above their weight without a doubt.

Not sure you can only judge him on just the end of his Norwich spell, and the squad he's inherited here.

Juror#13

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
No. He reminds me if Hyypia in press conferences and his team selection are as baffling as Hyypia.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
His Birmingham team scored 78 goals when they finished 4th in 2012 - that was 9 more goals than the champions Reading. Newcastle scored 90 when he managed them to the title in 2010. Newcastle had a quality squad but that doesn't guarantee titles, and Birmingham punched above their weight without a doubt.

Not sure you can only judge him on just the end of his Norwich spell, and the squad he's inherited here.

Agreed. He's trying to polish a number of turds at the moment. Give him a chance FFS. We'e come close to matching Norwich and Bournemouth in our last two games at home, failing mostly because up front we are completely toothless.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

All of his Norwich spell. Plus signing £15m ish worth of strikers...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here