Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Walking Football?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As the saying goes: try everything once - except incest and folk dancing

They did have but it seems to have died a death. I didn't get any reply from the contact there and I note there are no fixtures on the site. My daughter has just started playing at Hove so I'll ask around
Have you tried contacting AITC to ask about football or they may even know about rugby in the area. Some of those at the walking football had obviously played a good standard of football. For those asking I didnt play left back as the instructor told me as I hadnt player for years to hang around the goal and just lay the ball off to other players and play the way I was facing my problem was trying to turn and do what I could at 25 years old. It was however great fun.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Have you tried contacting AITC to ask about football or they may even know about rugby in the area. Some of those at the walking football had obviously played a good standard of football. For those asking I didnt play left back as the instructor told me as I hadnt player for years to hang around the goal and just lay the ball off to other players and play the way I was facing my problem was trying to turn and do what I could at 25 years old. It was however great fun.

I will ask around a bit more and I might give walking football a go - I haven't played for about 10 years.
And I was a left-back

Jul 7, 2003
Yeah, I'd love to play 5-a-side but I couldn't mix with 20 or 30 somethings. I wish there were opportunities for over 40s and 50s to play too. Walking football sounds a bit tame for me. What I'd really like to do is play some vets rugby but no local teams have a vets side, so I've given up on that.

It is rather sad that there are so few sporting opportunities for those of, er, more mature years.

Walking football was originally targeted at those 50+ and AITC do have sessions arranged for that age group. The problem with this is that many sessions are run during normal office hours which isn't much use to those not yet retired.

I am not yet 50 but spoke to a mate of mine in AITC just before my knee replacement last year. He said that if enough people asked, AITC would consider other age groups. There seem to be a lot of people who aren't up to 'real' football due to injury and/or fitness but who are interested in walking football. I would also suggest speaking to the Sussex FA as they are also pushing it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yeah, I'd love to play 5-a-side but I couldn't mix with 20 or 30 somethings. I wish there were opportunities for over 40s and 50s to play too. Walking football sounds a bit tame for me. What I'd really like to do is play some vets rugby but no local teams have a vets side, so I've given up on that.

It is rather sad that there are so few sporting opportunities for those of, er, more mature years.

Agree. I'm 58. About 15 years ago I tried 5 a side, but some of the 20 something players in the oppositions were mentalists, doing sliding tackles and suchlike (indoor shiney wooden floor). Don't fancy the walking thing. But my knees (and gut) are not up to anything, now. And, I was always a dirty player, so at walking speed I'd have far more chance of landing a meaningful punch; it would all end in tears very quickly. And probably a conviction :lolol:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I left the one I went to. No Warm up or stretching, no skills practice, just straight into a 45 minute a side game. Without a proper Ref the running wasn't controlled either. All this on a small 5 a side/ tennis court sized pitch.
So if you do a lot of the routines that would take place in a full size or 5 a side game and properly organised, it should be enjoyable.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I fell over the ball some 4 weeks ago and am stuill suffering. It wasy7 own fault as I paid no attention to what the instructor said which was do the simple things simply and kick the ball the way you are facing, forget what you could do at 25 years old and dont try to do it. now. I tried to turn and lay the ball off and tripped over it

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Wouldn't mind giving it a try, but would probably prefer OAPs' 5-a-side if such a thing was available.

Although I must admit things have gone downhill a bit in the few years since I turned in a very respectable 100M time at the age of 60 in my youngest daughter's school pupils and parents sports day! I'd probably need to hand-pick opponents as rickety as I am!

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Wouldn't mind giving it a try, but would probably prefer OAPs' 5-a-side if such a thing was available.

Although I must admit things have gone downhill a bit in the few years since I turned in a very respectable 100M time at the age of 60 in my youngest daughter's school pupils and parents sports day! I'd probably need to hand-pick opponents as rickety as I am!

Don't worry - the opponents will be rickety too!

I'd also prefer a "proper" 5-a-side with equally old people - it's almost impossible not to run at times, even if it's just a few steps.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here