Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buying a second hand car circa 5k - advice?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Go for a Kia Picanto. We bought one new this year as our last car only £8k new. So for £5k will get a newish one. 50+ mpg, nothing for road tax. Comfirtable 5 seats and does 80+ easily and get there quickly. A few people we spoke to before buying had bought new and had them trouble free for years.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Go for a Kia Picanto. We bought one new this year as our last car only £8k new. So for £5k will get a newish one. 50+ mpg, nothing for road tax. Comfirtable 5 seats and does 80+ easily and get there quickly. A few people we spoke to before buying had bought new and had them trouble free for years.
I like the look of the Kia Sportage.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just make sure it's Japanese. If you can get a Yaris then do. Far cheaper to run in the long run, in terms of repair bills!

Deffo a Yaris, Other than new brake shoes and an annual oil change mine has run like a dream.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Five door Nissan Micra...£5k will buy good low mileage 3/4 year old car...Bomb proof reliability...Hold value..

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
This is a very conveniently timed thread.

OP, I'm looking to sell my 2013 reg Peugeot 107 in the next month or so. 7,500 miles on the clock, excellent condition, 5-doors, black. PM me if you're interested.

Poke [MENTION=16399]pb21[/MENTION]

Edit: sorry, I should add that I am being entirely serious with this offer.

Thanks for the offer, but I think it may be too small for what she's looking for.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Hi my girlfriend is needing to buy a car, she has approximately £5,000 to spend, ideally less. So far she has narrowed the options down so that it must be/have:

* 5 door hatchback (small/medium size)
* Less than 120 gCO2
* Ideally low mileage
* Not more than 10 years/100,000 miles

Any advice or ideas, ideally something close to Brighton so it's easy to pick up.

Thanks

How dull, cars only have two requirements, to look good and go fast
An older Merc SLK is your best bet

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here