Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is the TV licence worth £145.50 a year?

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
You get BBC telly, radio and online content with no adverts, but is it worth the money?

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
I pay £84 per month so over £1000 a year for sky which includes the BBC channels so why should I pay another £145 for channels that I technically have already paid for.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yes the BBC is brilliant.

SteveTheSeagull

I AM A CRIPPLED ALICE FAN
Feb 14, 2015
Not if you don't use their services in which i don't but hey ho i still pay. Lawls the lawl.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I pay £84 per month so over £1000 a year for sky which includes the BBC channels so why should I pay another £145 for channels that I technically have already paid for.

you're confused, your £84 p/m is for Sky, not for BBC. though this does sort of show the heart of the matter, one you can chose the other you cant. i think its "worth it" but im not sure id pay if i didnt have to. i also wonder how much the bits i use would cost on their own.

i think its time the issue was addressed by revolutionanising what the licence fee goes towards and how BBC is funded. i dont see why BBC shouldnt have some advertising, say between programmes, with a reduced licence fee going to the fringe channels (TV and radio) or fringe TV programmes. ITV, C4 even Sky(?!) could also dip into this money for similar non-commercially viable programming. then the fairness of a TV licence funding BBC sort of resolves itself. they'll have to do something because in a generation so many people will be using iplayer as a free alternative that the current arrangment wont work anymore.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Very much so. Wouldn't object to paying three times as much. Think what the BBC could do then. It's incredible value for money.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
It's not about you. It's about paying for the BBC. How much of the money that you pay to Sky goes to the BBC?

Enough that the BBC allow them to include it in their basic package.Why should anybody that owns a television have to buy a TV licence to cover the costs of the BBC.Why dosent the BBC just become a subscription service like other channels do so if you want to watch it you pay for it.
I can tell you why because people wont subscribe.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yes. It's remit goes far beyond entertainment, it also provides educational output for children, investigative journalism and documentaries, is able to report critically about itself (unlike Sky and News Corp) and also provides an excellent range of radio channels, that are advert free.

Whilst it is now plays too safe for my liking, it has historically taken risks on new artists and methods of expression. The Goons, Python, Blackadder, Play for Today, John Peel etc are all fantastic products that would not have been given a chance by a commercial channel.

In addition the iPlayer is brilliant, especially if you travel abroad a lot.

The Savile issue has damaged the integrity of the organisation, but remember that Savile also browbeat the police, hospitals and other institutions into silence too.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here