Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thread for golfers amongst you.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Rescue wood (17 degree, ok up to about 220 yards but can choke down the shaft to reduce distance) 8 iron (up to 150). PW for control into the green. Every time I have played one of these comps I score better than in a normal round.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Driving iron, 7 iron and sand wedge.
Will you be playing the ladies tee rule?

Dunno to be honest. All I know is that it will be bloody windy so it may be a long round!

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Depends how well you hit your irons. I hit my 7 iron true 90% of the time 5 iron 60% at best. Would rather play safe with a 7.

I'm the only person I know whose favourite club is a 3 iron which probably explains why my selection is in a minority of 1.

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Depends on what you are more comfortable hitting. Ask yourself whether you hit your hybrid better than a 3 wood, your 6 iron better than your 7 or 8 iron and the same for your wedges

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
The other thing is that you might not want to scratch up another club (other than your SW) by hitting out of the bunker.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Not a long carry but it is very narrow down the middle with trees to the right and bush to the left ( and deer and pheasants! ) most people seem to take a driver on this hole! I tend to take a 5 wood and end up short!

Thinking about it a bit more, concentrate on the Par 3's and the others will sort themselves out. So a 3/5 wood for the long one and whatever you need for the other 2 as they are reasonably similar length, plus a sand wedge. Sorted.

Or, if you analyse a normal round, take the 2 clubs you hit the most plus your sand wedge.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I didn't realise people still played stick & ball, I thought cycling was the new golf.

You need to take whatever bat gives you your best chance of going through the windmill.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I'd have my trusty 3 hybrid, 7 and PW

I think I may go for this as I hit my hybrid around 180-220....my seven 160 and pitching wedge 140

My handicap started at 26 this time last year and after a decent summer and winter I am now 15.7. Last couple of rounds, gross 83 both so that is playing to around that hc. Hoping to be single figures by the end of the summer if I can start hitting some decent puts! Hopefully will play three times a week, two evenings and a Saturday should help.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think I may go for this as I hit my hybrid around 180-220....my seven 160 and pitching wedge 140

My handicap started at 26 this time last year and after a decent summer and winter I am now 15.7. Last couple of rounds, gross 83 both so that is playing to around that hc. Hoping to be single figures by the end of the summer if I can start hitting some decent puts! Hopefully will play three times a week, two evenings and a Saturday should help.

Secret to a low score is chipping and putting.........practice !

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Secret to a low score is chipping and putting.........practice !

Oh yes. The thing with B&H is it is not an easy course at all. Ther is only a couple of holes where you are not playing below or above your feet. It takes me a time to play other flat courses as I am used to playing on a slope. Love the course though and it is an incredibly friendly club.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Oh yes. The thing with B&H is it is not an easy course at all. Ther is only a couple of holes where you are not playing below or above your feet. It takes me a time to play other flat courses as I am used to playing on a slope. Love the course though and it is an incredibly friendly club.

Never played it. Hate sloping lies, slice it badly enough as it is !

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Fog put paid to any golf this morning!

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Never played it. Hate sloping lies, slice it badly enough as it is !

Don't play Waterhall then, makes B&H look like a bowling green, but brilliantly different holes & views. Great fun but too hilly for a substantial number of old codgers to form a big membership

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here