A thread of food where there's just NO point trying to MAKE it yourself

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Can of chickpeas
Couple tablespoons of tahini
On crushed garlic clove
Good drizzle of olive oil and/or sesame oil
About 100 ml of lemon juice (enough to make the mix just about blendable)

Whizz the above up with a blender and you have a basis for hummus that you can't fail with. It's nice enough as it is, but you can add stuff to it to your own taste. A favourite of mine is a teaspoon of cumin and a Birdseye chilli for a curry flavour.

More garlic, mash with a pestle and mortar, replace the chilli with smoked paprika and definitely sesame oil. You will never buy hummus again.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Pizza.

Laura is brilliant at baking all sorts of stuff...but I struugle to make toast

There's a cheat method for pizza - don't make the dough, instead buy the plain bases ( £1 for two in Sainsburys ). Just brush it with garlic or chilli oil and then passatta ( 35p from Aldi ). Then go mad with any topping you like. Hey presto - a fully loaded 'homemade' pizza.

The product I won't make is fish fingers - love a fish finger but making them yourself is just too much of a pain.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I note you haven't mentioned ONIONS. I always thought they were the most crucial part of a curry, and had to be cooked long and slow to caramelise them. The best curries I've done have included cooking onions for about an hour.

That curry base recipe I sent over to you uses a lot of onions.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
High quality patisserie and croissants.
I tried baking croissants once, by the time they were ready i had grown a beared, they take forever much easier and better to by quality ones.

This is part of what I posted in post 11. FYI, bun scrolls are effectively croissants, although shaped differently:

RE pastry: I made bun scrolls from Justin Gellatly's recipe once, and they worked a treat -- and there was enough to see us through a weekend's worth of breakfast:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...baking-recipes

PS you're right about high quality patisserie. Leave that to the experts

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
There's a cheat method for pizza - don't make the dough, instead buy the plain bases ( £1 for two in Sainsburys ). Just brush it with garlic or chilli oil and then passatta ( 35p from Aldi ). Then go mad with any topping you like. Hey presto - a fully loaded 'homemade' pizza.
Yeah, I do that (using gluten-free bases for my wife) but as I said before it's the base that's the problem. To make a genuine pizza you really need to do the base from scratch and then cook it in a proper pizza oven, buying in bases is like using white bread.

That's why there's no point in trying to make it yourself (for the person who wondered why pizza had been mentioned) and if you want genuine pizza you've got to get someone to make it for you, although I accept that you can make a reasonable facsimile.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Yeah, I do that (using gluten-free bases for my wife) but as I said before it's the base that's the problem. To make a genuine pizza you really need to do the base from scratch and then cook it in a proper pizza oven, buying in bases is like using white bread.

That's why there's no point in trying to make it yourself (for the person who wondered why pizza had been mentioned) and if you want genuine pizza you've got to get someone to make it for you, although I accept that you can make a reasonable facsimile.

The kids love building their own. That said, I did have to persuade the youngest that a candy floss pizza was NOT going to happen !

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The kids love building their own. That said, I did have to persuade the youngest that a candy floss pizza was NOT going to happen !
A bit off topic now, but still one my favourite dishes is pepperoni and chicken madras pizza. I'll give you the recipe: Get a pepperoni pizza from the supermarket and a chicken madras from the takeaway. Make sure the pizza is cooked and the madras is warm (a microwave is handy for keeping the madras warm if you're having timing issues*). Put the pizza on a plate and tip the madras over it. Eat and wash down with a reasonably-priced lager.

Best. Food. Ever.

*Take it out of the tin foil if you need to do this! It don't half spark!

rgb_news

May 5, 2015
Sushi - the local chippie to my place in Cambridge makes daily early morning trips to Billingsgate and sells sushi grade fish. He even gets uni from time to time. I kid ye not.

You might be about to save me a fortune in train tickets to get fish at the Japan Center in London!

Which chippie?

Cheers.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Any suggestions or links to making burgers for a BBQ for about 15 people. Most shop bought ones are either rank or shrink to nothing unless anyone knows of a decent shop to buy them.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I made pulled pork for the first time a couple of months ago. Would never ever buy it from the shops again, slow cooked the beast of a pork joint in a slow cooker for 4 days...... never eaten anything like it, serving it up with creamy american style mash and barbecue beans. Proper comfort food at it's absolute best

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I made pulled pork for the first time a couple of months ago. Would never ever buy it from the shops again, slow cooked the beast of a pork joint in a slow cooker for 4 days...... never eaten anything like it, serving it up with creamy american style mash and barbecue beans. Proper comfort food at it's absolute best

Are you sure cooking for 4 days in a slow cooker?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here