Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marathon Thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good luck with your training - hopefully not too hot summer for you.
Do you have any particular goal time for Chicago?
It's a race I would like to do ..... One day soon!

Thanks. I'm an early morning runner so I should be okay weather wise. I am using the Runners World 3:15 training plan which is a 6 days a week schedule and it delivered a PB of 3:08 last time in November 2014. I will aim for sub 3:15 and if the training goes well and I feel good, like in 2014, I will aim for something a little quicker.

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
Ran my first marathon in Stockholm this weekend and wore my Albion away top. Very reassuring and comforting to hear someone in the crowd yell out "Seagullllssss!!!" at the top of their voice.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Managed to finish the South Downs Way 100 miler at the weekend. Brilliant experience and for me completely different to last years where it started going tits-up after 25 miles and I eventually dropped out at 70m. Was hot and much more humid than forecast on Saturday, lots were suffering (about a quarter of the field dropped) but having learned from last year I managed the race a lot better, drank absolutely loads (I lost count in the middle of the night but something like 15 litres of water, plus coke and tea) and dropped my pace after about 40 miles because I knew it would do me in otherwise. This meant I eventually missed my ideal target of <24 hours, but did mean that I finished, and in relatively ok shape, time was 24h 59m 57s (so that 300 yard sprint around the track at the end was worth it). All got a bit surreal after dark, with the shiny green eyes of sheep and cows reflecting the headtorch light often the only think I could see. One surreal moment where I saw a tent by the track and told my running buddy that it was an odd place to camp......'it's a cow.......'

My GPS watch didn't work as expected, so the stats aren't quite right, but they are on the NSC Strava group for anyone interested. Fabulous organisation by Centurion Running - can't recommend their events highly enough for anyone interested in this kind of thing.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Managed to finish the South Downs Way 100 miler at the weekend. Brilliant experience and for me completely different to last years where it started going tits-up after 25 miles and I eventually dropped out at 70m. Was hot and much more humid than forecast on Saturday, lots were suffering (about a quarter of the field dropped) but having learned from last year I managed the race a lot better, drank absolutely loads (I lost count in the middle of the night but something like 15 litres of water, plus coke and tea) and dropped my pace after about 40 miles because I knew it would do me in otherwise. This meant I eventually missed my ideal target of <24 hours, but did mean that I finished, and in relatively ok shape, time was 24h 59m 57s (so that 300 yard sprint around the track at the end was worth it). All got a bit surreal after dark, with the shiny green eyes of sheep and cows reflecting the headtorch light often the only think I could see. One surreal moment where I saw a tent by the track and told my running buddy that it was an odd place to camp......'it's a cow.......'

My GPS watch didn't work as expected, so the stats aren't quite right, but they are on the NSC Strava group for anyone interested. Fabulous organisation by Centurion Running - can't recommend their events highly enough for anyone interested in this kind of thing.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm a late entrant into the race, I shall be there this evening. I thought it was next week though, so my preparation has been a bit off and I'm currently really feeling a leg session from tuesday. I think that once I get going, I'll be absolutely fine but only the time will tell! I ran the Brighton Marathon in 3:59:54 this year without being able to prepare because of a foot problem, so we'll see what occurs tonight.

I'm going to be seriously training for the San Sebastian Marathon which is in November. That's the one I have my eye on for sub 3:30, with an eye on sub 3:15 for Brighton 2017. Ambitious, but you've got to have a dream!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm aiming for a slow one as well. Done no long runs at all since the 100 (think 9.5m is my longest) and have had a couple of niggles so bit of a reintroduction. Looking forward to just enjoying it. Great fun last time. Longer term plan is a marathon PB attempt (Seville in Feb) followed maybe by a sub 24 100 mile attempt next Autumn.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Best of luck to the runners tonight.
[MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] Am I right in thinking you've got the Isle of Wight sandwiched between tonight and San Sebastián? Plenty of mileage and scenery.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Best of luck to the runners tonight.
[MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] Am I right in thinking you've got the Isle of Wight sandwiched between tonight and San Sebastián? Plenty of mileage and scenery.

Yep, and throwing in Beachy Head Marathon in October as well for the laughs. I was humiliated by a Labrador puppy last year, determined not to let that happen again!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well done Loonies, great event again ! Ok-ish for me up to about 20m, then had a bit of cramp and more painfully turned my ankle just after the last aid station. Happy with 4.24 all things considered. Ankle slightly sore this morning otherwise no aches and pains......

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Well done Loonies, great event again ! Ok-ish for me up to about 20m, then had a bit of cramp and more painfully turned my ankle just after the last aid station. Happy with 4.24 all things considered. Ankle slightly sore this morning otherwise no aches and pains......

Sorry to hear that man, to get hurt that late is a real shame. It's a funny course because it's flat, but it's not the easiest terrain to run over with the couple of boggy patches and the drop into the bog at one point as well. Lovely course to run, but not the easiest by any means.

Marathon #5 completed for me, my next is Beachy Head in October but my 7th is the real target.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
My marathon record now needs updating

was
Mr Blobby: 3 Reykjavik August 2016

now
Mr Blobby: 4 Limassol March 2017 (and possibly Brighton April 2017)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
All - a very good running pal of mine has put together a free marathon workshop next week (Thursday13th) in Burgess Hill. I can't make it myself as I am away but I've had a sneak preview of some of the material and it looks fantastic. You don't necessarily need to be planning a marathon, or have already run one to attend - it'll have tons of interesting things and you'll definitely learn a lot. [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] can also vouch for Jan's expertise if you need it. Would highly recommend going along if you can.

Details here - https://www.facebook.com/events/589958257830916/

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ah, the marathon thread. Im enroute to Chicago. Excited.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here