Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marathon Thread

This morning I ran Seaford half marathon - nice & flat along the prom in 1:38:36 which I was most pleased with (fastest time for a half in nearly 5 years). According to the marathon predictor times this should equate to a 3:25.34 marathon, yet in 86 attempts I have only managed sub 3:30 once & that was 70 marathons ago. Frustrating ............ :tantrum:

And the madness continues!

Current state of play:

Tommy Tradlles - 13 - Chiltern 50k July 2015
Steve Foster: 86 - Battle of Britain August 2015
Pembury: 9 - Downs Link 38 October 2015
Ninja Elephant: 1 - Beachy Head October 2015
Greg Bobkin: 3 - Isle of Wight Oct 2015
Y Ddraig Goch: 3 - Snowdonia Oct 2015
Ben Elton's Brother: 3 - Brighton April 2016
Greg Bobkin: 3 - Brighton April 2016
knocky1: 3 - Brighton April 2016
MORTY: 3 - Brighton April 2016
D'Angelo Saxon: 0 - Brighton April 2016
Herr Tubthumper: 4 - Chicago Oct 2016

dazzer6666: 40
Driver8: 4
Richy_Seagull: 4
blockseagull: 4
big nuts: 3
Mr Blobby: 3
TotallyFreaked: 3
Gary Nelson's teacher: 2
edna krabappel: 2
MrShaun15: 1
Wondergull 1

............... Keep running!

This morning I ran Seaford half marathon - nice & flat along the prom in 1:38:36 which I was most pleased with (fastest time for a half in nearly 5 years). According to the marathon predictor times this should equate to a 3:25.34 marathon, yet in 86 attempts I have only managed sub 3:30 once & that was 70 marathons ago. Frustrating ............ :tantrum:

Current state of play:

Steve Foster: 86 - North Diwns July 2015

Wondergull 1

Hmm how much notice to run a marathon? Hopefully a week will be fine. Upgraded to the full distance from the half next w/e

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Current state of play:

Steve Foster: 86 - Battle of Britain August 2015

Wondergull 1

Lunar-Tic next Saturday.......up and down the river from Shoreham in the dark [emoji3] #41

Tommy Tradlles

Aug 22, 2014
Chichester
I completed the Chilterns 50k at Princes Risborough on Saturday. It was my first ultra and the extra 5 miles made a lot of difference. it was very warm though we did have some cloud cover and a cooling breeze at times. The ground was hard and very hilly and many of the paths were overgrown. The course was marked out well though there were two occasions when I thought I may have got lost with cost me a bit of time. The last 10k took almost two hours to complete which showed much little energy I had at the end. I felt so tired I couldn't face hanging around too long afterwards so I got in the car to get back to my friends house. I felt a little guilty about not waiting for more runners to come in and attend the awards ceremonies but I wasn't feeling sociable. I enjoyed an ice cream when I stopped for petrol. I also enjoyed a nice cold beer at my friends place later on.

I finished in just over 6 hours and 22 minutes in 66th place but the website has taken an hour off my time and its shows me as coming 24th! I have emailed them but it does look good.

Ultra running is tough especially mid summer I don't know how other runners do the really long lengths. My next big event is the Beach Head Marathon. At the moment I can't contemplate doing another ultra.

"Pain is about weakness leaving the body" so says the motif on today's 5 inch medallion having ran the inaugural North Downs Marathon.
Have to say running up Boxhill TWICE can only be described as painful. North Downs Marathon was a great day out...just a "social run" chatting as we went with over 1000ft gain on seemingly constant hills. Brutal course in the heat, tougher than Beachy Head but definitely one to recommend. Had to cross the River Mole on the stepping stones twice too. Loads & loads of steps - but much of the course is in the woods so sun screen wasn't needed. Pleased with my 4:39. A hard & slow course. Few long stretches to eat away the miles with ease, as there was many rutted bits, trip hazards, hills, steps & more hills. Great "fun" as always & the food and drink stations were overfall.

Current state of play:

Steve Foster: 87 - Battle of Britain August 2015
Tommy Tradlles - 14 - Beachy Head October 2015

Having a sabbatical ........ for now?

dazzer6666: 41
Wondergull 1

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
I completed the Chilterns 50k at Princes Risborough on Saturday. It was my first ultra and the extra 5 miles made a lot of difference. it was very warm though we did have some cloud cover and a cooling breeze at times. The ground was hard and very hilly and many of the paths were overgrown. The course was marked out well though there were two occasions when I thought I may have got lost with cost me a bit of time. The last 10k took almost two hours to complete which showed much little energy I had at the end. I felt so tired I couldn't face hanging around too long afterwards so I got in the car to get back to my friends house. I felt a little guilty about not waiting for more runners to come in and attend the awards ceremonies but I wasn't feeling sociable. I enjoyed an ice cream when I stopped for petrol. I also enjoyed a nice cold beer at my friends place later on.

I finished in just over 6 hours and 22 minutes in 66th place but the website has taken an hour off my time and its shows me as coming 24th! I have emailed them but it does look good.

Ultra running is tough especially mid summer I don't know how other runners do the really long lengths. My next big event is the Beach Head Marathon. At the moment I can't contemplate doing another ultra.[/QUOTE

Great running! See you at Beachy!

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
"Pain is about weakness leaving the body" so says the motif on today's 5 inch medallion having ran the inaugural North Downs Marathon.
Have to say running up Boxhill TWICE can only be described as painful. North Downs Marathon was a great day out...just a "social run" chatting as we went with over 1000ft gain on seemingly constant hills. Brutal course in the heat, tougher than Beachy Head but definitely one to recommend. Had to cross the River Mole on the stepping stones twice too. Loads & loads of steps - but much of the course is in the woods so sun screen wasn't needed. Pleased with my 4:39. A hard & slow course. Few long stretches to eat away the miles with ease, as there was many rutted bits, trip hazards, hills, steps & more hills. Great "fun" as always & the food and drink stations were overfall.

Current state of play:

Wondergull 1

Those steps were the hardest part of the ndw50 earlier in the year.... relentlessly steep. The north downs are beautiful though and wooded trails with wild garlic everywhere is up there with the best places ive run. Ill give the nd marathon a go at some point

Y Ddraig Goch

Sep 28, 2011

Current state of play:

Wondergull 1

Will have to check that out for next year. I do a lot of my training over Box & Reigate Hill.

Next up for me is the Scott Snowdonia Trail Half on Sunday. Includes going up Snowdon...........

Lunar-Tic marathon in Shoreham on Saturday for me. Anyone else in ? 8pm start, should be a laugh.........

Good luck - this is one that i'll try next year. Be interesting to hear what it's like.

I actually thought it was last weekend - so have pre-empted that you'll finish (of course you will) & that you are up to 41 marathons/ultras

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good luck - this is one that i'll try next year. Be interesting to hear what it's like.

I actually thought it was last weekend - so have pre-empted that you'll finish (of course you will) & that you are up to 41 marathons/ultras

Jinxed it then !

Will let you know how it goes. Got a niggly quad and it's not really a target race for me so won't be rushing round at all, more of a social thing. Farnham Pilgrim next on the list I think in September, absolutely cracking event.

Jinxed it then !

Will let you know how it goes. Got a niggly quad and it's not really a target race for me so won't be rushing round at all, more of a social thing. Farnham Pilgrim next on the list I think in September, absolutely cracking event.

Farnham Pilgrim - another great event - not a PB course either!

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
One Marathon under my belt in a time of 3h46m which I was pretty happy with. The course was flat(ish) but it was April in Manchester and it belted it down all day.

I am seriously considering the Athens Marathon in November. Anyone run that one?

If I do run another, I'd like to go sub 3h30m...

I've finally signed up for the Athens one. I've got about 3 and a half months to get myself in shape to run it under 3h30m.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've signed up for the Brighton marathon next year. :)

Yep. The 10k before this years was the first organised race I've done. Ran 15m yesterday which was the longest run I've done so far.

:)

More or less the same for me. The BM10k was my first ever race and I am signed up for the full Brighton Marathon in April 2016 as well. I've also just run my farthest distance though it was "only" 11 miles. I will be pushing up to half marathon in training over the next couple of weeks but leaving it at that till after October as I have a 10 mile race in Brighton in October. Might help with training?

http://www.bright10.co.uk/

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
:)

More or less the same for me. The BM10k was my first ever race and I am signed up for the full Brighton Marathon in April 2016 as well. I've also just run my farthest distance though it was "only" 11 miles. I will be pushing up to half marathon in training over the next couple of weeks but leaving it at that till after October as I have a 10 mile race in Brighton in October. Might help with training?

http://www.bright10.co.uk/

Yep, I'm doing the 10m too. Stepping up training from this week. Looking forward to it, although I wish it'd stop being so bloody windy along the seafront this summer!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Posted on the Official Running thread but forgot this one......Lunar-Tic was a brilliant event, great fun. Started at 8pm at Shoreham, couple of laps of the rec, up the river path to Upper Beeding, over the bridge and back down the other side to Shoreham, over the old Toll Bridge and repeat twice more. First lap in fading light and most of the last two in the dark. Went off a bit too quick which meant a bit of a messy last few miles but happy with 4.21. Going to be an annual event - highly recommended.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here