Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marathon Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I've ran 4 marathons,my last being in 2010 at Brighton and just managed to dip under 3hr 30min by 6 seconds lol.
Whist pushing for a quicker time in training I had a heart attack in 2011 so now just run shorter distances but huge respect for every single one of you running a marathon this Year. Best of luck! you Reep what you sow !

****, I didn't realise that. Thank you for running 10 miles + with me a few months back I now know why another marathon doesn't appeal. Your 5k & 10k times are hugely impressive so keep testing yourself on those distances.

This is without a doubt my last marathon, I love running too much to deal with the injuries running past 16 miles brings.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Two. Both of them the Worthing marathon. Must be 25-30 years ago.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
3 marathons, well almost 3!
London 2010, 4:29; Brighton 2011, collapsed with heat stroke at 24 miles and was carted off to hospital; Berlin 2012, 3:59:45 (aged 39). I decided to stop marathons then, as my goal had always been sub 4 hours. I must admit that I've quite missed the training over the last few years, so maybe I'll go back to them one day.

Sajerz

Feb 6, 2008
Leamington
I did the 2013 Brighton marathon in 4.11 and hope to get sub 4 hours this year. As for ultras I'm running 300 miles in 10 days from Canterbury to Amsterdam this June to raise money for the British Heart foundation. Shameless plug but if you wish you can donate here https://www.justgiving.com/cants2dam

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I am running the Brighton Marathon, it will be my first of many. I am aiming for 3 hours 30, and I strongly feel I will get it. I am 27, looking to set a high bench mark in this event.

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
****, I didn't realise that. Thank you for running 10 miles + with me a few months back I now know why another marathon doesn't appeal. Your 5k & 10k times are hugely impressive so keep testing yourself on those distances.

This is without a doubt my last marathon, I love running too much to deal with the injuries running past 16 miles brings.
Really good to get a run out with you Wes. My brother has had his GF living with him for a short while so haven't been able to stay over but when I do will Defo catch a run with you.

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
Three Forts aged 37 and time was 3 hours 45 and the following two years ran London best time aged 39 was 2 hours 47.Never run an ultra but did run the 100 mile South Downs relay which is Eastbourne to Winchester with a 6 man team and we were the first to come home in under 10 hours.

Last edited:

I'm doing Brighton this year. It's my first (only just turned 19). Hoping for 3:30

3:30 for a first marathon is very fast. In my experience, enjoy the first marathon rather than concentrate on time - as your body hasn't run this far before. My first marathon was 4:21. Never again I said, then a year later i did another & went down to 3:47.

Good luck fella.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I keep thinking about doing a marathon, I used to run a lot as a kid and loved it. I am now approaching 40 (next month) and very very unfit and slightly overweight. I've started to lose weight so really need to take up running again, maybe with the target of running in next years marathon. Although I think a few local 10k's might be in order first, when I was 15 I could do a 45-50min 10k, which isn't exceptionally fast but I was more than happy with it.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
3:30 for a first marathon is very fast. In my experience, enjoy the first marathon rather than concentrate on time - as your body hasn't run this far before. My first marathon was 4:21. Never again I said, then a year later i did another & went down to 3:47.

Good luck fella.

Thanks, I've quite enjoyed the training apart from the last couple of long runs, right now i'm thinking 'never again' but i'll probably do it again, its been great for my fitness if nothing else. Also quite lucky that im at loughborugh so have access to a good gym and nice rehab stuff. Getting a bit nervous now ahead of race day, just got to trust ive done the right amount of training I guess.

I keep thinking about doing a marathon, I used to run a lot as a kid and loved it. I am now approaching 40 (next month) and very very unfit and slightly overweight. I've started to lose weight so really need to take up running again, maybe with the target of running in next years marathon. Although I think a few local 10k's might be in order first, when I was 15 I could do a 45-50min 10k, which isn't exceptionally fast but I was more than happy with it.

I was a smoker & overweight before I started running and one day made the decision to improve my health. There are plenty of 'Get you round schedules' for a marathon. I would recommend downloading a schedule & slowly but slowly plan a marathon, by planning a 5k, then 10k, then half marathon. Good luck!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I was almost 18 stone when I was 'humiliated' into getting some exercise. Gradually got into running, joined a club, did a few races (never fast) up to half marathon and then decided to do London as a 'bucket list' thing just before my 40th. That was in 2006, have done 30-odd since then and can't imagine not running now. Still not quick though - it's much more sociable and fun at the back :)

Just don't think you can't do it. Anyone can.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here