currently planning
Steyning Stinger 6 March
SDW50 9 April
Three Forts 1 May
Halstead 8 May
SaltMarsh 75 October 1 & 2
Valencia 20 November
Fitch Way NYE

Good list ! I missed Dymchurch due to wife having an op last Friday, but hoping to make the Darkstar mud run on Sunday. Target 6 hours LOL

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sore Tendons (in the foot) to the left of me, Metatarsalgia to the right of me... grrrr. my feet are going in a bucket of ice tonight.

As you are bound to run through the pain, do you warm feet up in warm/hot water before venturing out? and ice on return as you do. Since stopping drinking for 5 whole days now I spend time instead in a hot bath with 2 cups of Epsom salts and some natural oils to detox the body. Good old fashioned remedy the Epsom salt soak.
Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmm and relax.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
As you are bound to run through the pain, do you warm feet up in warm/hot water before venturing out? and ice on return as you do. Since stopping drinking for 5 whole days now I spend time instead in a hot bath with 2 cups of Epsom salts and some natural oils to detox the body. Good old fashioned remedy the Epsom salt soak.
Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmm and relax.

haha I'm tempted to go for a shuffle around the block tonight.. just to test the flippers, they're feeling ok today but we'll see. Im thinking it might be my trainers and that i need something with a bigger toe box, but the adrenalines have quite a big one... so im not sure..

No ive never done any feet prep before a run...but i've been having an unusual amount of time in the bath this week... My wife thinks ive turned into Daryl Hannah!

So here we go again - another year, another set of marathons. Good luck to Dazzer who kicks off our team with the Darkstar marathon tomorrow. 26.2 miles of mud, mud glorious mud!

Marathon & Ultra standings

Dazzer6666: 42 - Darkstar, Jan 2016
Steve Foster: 91 - Relativity, Kent Feb 2016
Bob!: - Steyning Stinger, March 2016
Pembury: 12 - Steyning Stinger March 2016
Bad Ash: 1 - Brighton April 2016
Beardy Gull: 8 - Brighton April 2016
Ben Elton's Brother: 3 - Brighton April 2016
Bermondseygull: 2 - Brighton April 2016
big nuts: 3 - Brighton April 2016
Cecil: 1 - Brighton April 2016
Greg Bobkin: 4 - Brighton April 2016
Guinness Boy: 0 - Brighton April 2016
JoePrecious: 0 - Brighton April 2016
knocky1: 3 - Brighton April 2016
MORTY: 3 - Brighton April 2016
D'Angelo Saxon: 0 - Brighton April 2016
Ninja Elephant: 3 - Brighton April 2016
Tommy Tradlles: 15 - Brighton April 2016
PWA: 3 - London - April 2016
Mr Blobby: 3 Reykjavik August 2016
Herr Tubthumper: 4 - Chicago Oct 2016

Having a sabbatical ........ for now?

Y Ddraig Goch: 4 After Snowdonia Oct 2015
BrianWade4: 7
Driver8: 4
Richy_Seagull: 4
blockseagull: 4
Bedsex: 3
Mr Blobby: 3
TotallyFreaked: 3
Gary Nelson's teacher: 2
edna krabappel: 2
Weezie: 2
Mellor 3 Ward 4: 1
MrShaun15: 1
Oldham gull: 1
Rodney Thomas: 1
Wondergull 1

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
So here we go again - another year, another set of marathons. Good luck to Dazzer who kicks off our team with the Darkstar marathon tomorrow. 26.2 miles of mud, mud glorious mud!

Wondergull 1

I'm running Brighton in April for REMF. My first marathon and really looking forward to it

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'm running in Brighton, up to 13 miles - will be my first marathon- have Watford Half coming up next weekend as well.

Question, will there be any practical difference where my training schedule is for 14 mi next Sunday then 15 mi the following Sunday, but rather then that I'll be doing 13 for the half and jumping straight to 15?

Probably a stupid question.

I'm running in Brighton, up to 13 miles - will be my first marathon- have Watford Half coming up next weekend as well.

Question, will there be any practical difference where my training schedule is for 14 mi next Sunday then 15 mi the following Sunday, but rather then that I'll be doing 13 for the half and jumping straight to 15?

You'll be fine as the Worthing 1/2 you will no doubt run quicker than on your own in a training run.
I am doing the 1/2 too!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Wondergull 1

Thanks.....Dark Star is 28.2 - get two extra miles free [emoji3]

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Thanks.....Dark Star is 28.2 - get two extra miles free [emoji3]
Good luck. Might be around at the start - will look out for you...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Running & beer (we have much in common! - Chicago is one that I very much would like to do. Ticked off Boston & NY, so must do the Windy one sometime)

Maybe see you in the Bison Arms for a beer one day!

I've ticked off both Boston and NYC as well. Loved the latter, definitely my favourite of the 4 I've done.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Maybe see you in the Bison Arms for a beer one day!

I've ticked off both Boston and NYC as well. Loved the latter, definitely my favourite of the 4 I've done.

Good luck with Chicago. I visited there the week after last year marathon, the weather was baking in the mid-twenties for the race, which is incredibly rare for October. Great city and the they get right behind their sports there so should be a great atmosphere.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good luck with Chicago. I visited there the week after last year marathon, the weather was baking in the mid-twenties for the race, which is incredibly rare for October. Great city and the they get right behind their sports there so should be a great atmosphere.

Cheers fella. I have really enjoyed the atmosphere of both my previous US marathons, both during the race and the following days when folk found out why I was in town an treated me well. Everything I've heard about Chicago suggests more of the same.

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
I,ll bite.

Last week I was unfortunate enough to suffer a heart attack and spent a few days in Worthing hospital, but was 'put back together again' by the heart surgeons and nursing staff. I was discharged late on Saturday (my birthday..lol) and on Sunday morning someone was kind enough to take me to the end of New Church road to watch a bit of the marathon.

Ninja Elephant said in an earlier post how good and humbling it was to hear spectators cheering them on etc etc.

From my perspective as a spectator, I watched runners/walkers going past with sweat dripping dripping from them.....and many clearly feeling the pain. But they carried on...............wearing their various singlets/vests supporting Scope , MacMillan and dozens of worthy causes. Not least of these many causes was the British Heart Foundation who I have absolutely no doubt, I will be turning to for advice etc etc in the very near future.

To say it was emotional watching these runners/walkers going through the pain barrier for people like me is the understatement of the decade. I could only only watch for 20 minutes as I was feeling so tired , so I missed the massive efforts of so many on here who I desperately wanted to see (Tony Bloom, El Pres and Edna to mention just a few).

I want to say a massive thankyou to all of those who took part.....and quite frankly.....bollocks to you and your continual shite.
Stumbled across your post from a year ago, hope your fully recovered. I had a heart attack 5 years ago and used to raise money for the British heart foundation because my niece was born 15 years ago with holes in the heart. Take care.

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk

Good luck bud! Need to push those long runs up now! Go for it

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

You will be fine. I was in the same boat last year and will be again this year. I was up to fifteen miles by 8th Feb last year but didn't make the jump to 16 miles until March due to half marathon prep and racing. Didn't do me any harm and if anything some nice rest bite and a chance for the body to recover rather than continually upping the distance and mileage which takes a toll.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Not remotely stupid. Most sensible training programmes don't have a continual week on week increase - most have regular 'step back' weeks every 3-4 weeks. Helps both physically and mentally. You'll probably (and should) run the half at a slightly faster pace than your usual long runs. Great for helping build your speed endurance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here