Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marathon Thread

Well done runners. Looks as if the next marathon+ races, will be 100 milers. Wow!

Current state of play:

Pembury: 8 - South Downs Way 100 miles! June 2015
dazzer6666: 39 - South Downs Way 100 miles! June 2015
Tommy Tradlles - 13 - Chiltern 50k July 2015
Steve Foster: 86 - Battle of Britain August 2015
Ninja Elephant: 1 - Beachy Head October 2015
Greg Bobkin: 3 - Isle of Wight Oct 2015
Y Ddraig Goch: 3 - Snowdonia Oct 2015
Ben Elton's Brother: 3 - Brighton April 2016
knocky1: 3 - Brighton April 2016
MORTY: 3 - Brighton April 2016
Herr Tubthumper: 4 - Chicago Oct 2016

Driver8: 4
Richy_Seagull: 4
blockseagull: 4
big nuts: 3
Mr Blobby: 3
TotallyFreaked: 3
Gary Nelson's teacher: 2
edna krabappel: 2
Wondergull 1

............... Keep running!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well done. Massive hill? You're making me feel over the hill.
My pleasure yesterday was going past a Centurion T shirt in the last stages of the Park Run. Meant I didn't lose to an Ultra 2 weeks running.

Haha. Kithurst Hill near Amberley. Mate of mine did the Thames Path 100 a couple of weeks ago, turned up yesterday for an expected jog round and was literally on his hands and knees after 20 miles. Limped home in 5.30-odd completely wrecked. Don't neglect proper recovery [emoji51]

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
#8 for me yesturday, North downs way 50. Tough but a beautiful course.. box and reigate hills both seemed like the steapest climbs ive ever done. .. took a couple of wrong turns with other runners.. half a mile each which wasnt much of a problem, just a bit of map reading was needed!.. Just annoyed that i lost a few places and prob time. Strangely dont think getting a bit lost added any distance to the race, but talking to people at the end..most garmins and whatnots said 51.5 miles! Cruel, when the brain is set for 50, and around the corner is ANOTHER bl**dy field, not the finish!

Having not recced the course beforehand def gives you a disadvantage, but its all an education i guess and gives you a bit mental strength as not really knowing whats coming can be quite tough.

Great day, great weather, great ice cream, brilliantly oganised, great support, great trails! 69th 09:54:00 pb at 50 miles. Oh and seemed to have got a sdw50 finishers medal!

Sdw100 next

Superb effort....everyone knows the NDW is harder than the SDW......hot afternoon too. Love Centurion events, so well organised

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Superb effort....everyone knows the NDW is harder than the SDW......hot afternoon too. Love Centurion events, so well organised

Thanks Dazzer. Great going yesterday. . Those river paths can be really tough on the feet and drain the energy from your legs and 27 miles of that, , , as i found out at Dark star, makes it a really a cracking effort. One for next year, love summer running, prefer heat than cold and wind.

What your plans for the next four or so weeks? Mine is going to be recovery, recovery, recovery.. with some easy cycling, a couple of night run/walks over Chanctonbury in the next week or so..and look after my slight extensor tendonitis, which didnt cause me much trouble yesturday as it goes..

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks Dazzer. Great going yesterday. . Those river paths can be really tough on the feet and drain the energy from your legs and 27 miles of that, , , as i found out at Dark star, makes it a really a cracking effort. One for next year, love summer running, prefer heat than cold and wind.

What your plans for the next four or so weeks? Mine is going to be recovery, recovery, recovery.. with some easy cycling, a couple of night run/walks over Chanctonbury in the next week or so..and look after my slight extensor tendonitis, which didnt cause me much trouble yesturday as it goes..

Tougher than I expected......uneven underfoot for a lot of the riverbank and woods after Arundel which didn't help either. Would do it again though, typical STE low key trail event, love 'em.

Without checking, think I have about 55 in the plan this week, then dropping down to 30-odd then not much at all. Quite glad really, last 3-4 months have been pretty full on for me (over 900 miles this year)

I had a bit of extensor tendonitis after Brighton...cleared up in a few days with rest. Helped to miss out next to top eyelets on shoes to take the lace pressure off my foot, and icing it definitely helped too.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Tougher than I expected......uneven underfoot for a lot of the riverbank and woods after Arundel which didn't help either. Would do it again though, typical STE low key trail event, love 'em.

Without checking, think I have about 55 in the plan this week, then dropping down to 30-odd then not much at all. Quite glad really, last 3-4 months have been pretty full on for me (over 900 miles this year)

I had a bit of extensor tendonitis after Brighton...cleared up in a few days with rest. Helped to miss out next to top eyelets on shoes to take the lace pressure off my foot, and icing it definitely helped too.

yeah i was going to enter LUNATIC in july, but i might give that a miss and go for the Downslink instead..could do both i suppose, but i think i must show my face to my wife and kids!

cheers for for the lacing tips.. ive gone from normal diagonal/crisscross.. to straight across lacing.. if that makes sense.. which really helps..but i might miss the two top holes ass well. Cheers.

yeah 30/40 miles for me this week..

update

Current state of play:

Greg Bobkin: 3 - Brighton April 2016
D'Angelo Saxon: 0 - Brighton April 2016

Wondergull 1

............... Keep running![/QUOTE]

A hearty good luck to our two uber ultra runners today. The weather gods are looking kind & I look forward to hear how you fair. I can't imagine what it is like to run 100 miles in one run - all cross country & hills, hills, hills. Total respect :clap:

Current state of play:

Wondergull 1

............... Keep running![/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Well run Pembury, having completed the SDW 100 in 28 hours & 21 minutes. I couldn't imagine what it's like to be on your feet for so long. Also fantastic effort by Dazza who completed 70 miles of the event. Truly awesome. Hope you guys have a calorie laden few days/weeks to recover and we look forward to hearing about your next marathon or marathon+ event.

Current state of play:

dazzer6666: 40
Pembury: 9
Wondergull 1

............... Keep running!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yup, bit of a failure on my part, not sure what it was but really struggled after 25m or so. Think the humidity wiped me out and I couldn't recover. Thoroughly miserable 50 miles or so trying to get it back.........but just got worse....

Massive well done to [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] for finishing. Was good to jog along together for a while

Next up for me is the Lunar-Tic in July I think.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
25hrs 17mins and something seconds.. well pleased with that.

Was great running with you dazzer.. great effort.. did you get to clayton?. i was trying keep an eye out for you.

The first 40 was so so so tough.. i got wind in my sails between butser hill and clayton..getting going again after southese..and it was a basic shuffle from alfriston till finish.

what a day, night, morning!

Next up Downslink ultra october. (Dont want to go near, trainers, trails,fields,sheep,chalk paths,countryside for couple of weeks)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
25hrs 17mins and something seconds.. well pleased with that.

Was great running with you dazzer.. great effort.. did you get to clayton?. i was trying keep an eye out for you.

The first 40 was so so so tough.. i got wind in my sails between butser hill and clayton..getting going again after southese..and it was a basic shuffle from alfriston till finish.

what a day, night, morning!

Next up Downslink ultra october. (Dont want to go near, trainers, trails,fields,sheep,chalk paths,countryside for couple of weeks)

Really awesome effort.....I carried on grinding it out in the hope that I'd pick up, but it never happened........by the Dyke I was slowing right down and feeling terrible so decided to get to Clayton (my club's aid station) and pull out there.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Really awesome effort.....I carried on grinding it out in the hope that I'd pick up, but it never happened........by the Dyke I was slowing right down and feeling terrible so decided to get to Clayton (my club's aid station) and pull out there.

Throughout, just remember your wise words of keeping your nutrition up, which i did.. couldnt eat any savoury..just fruit etc etc.. great checkpoi ts.. from the techno te t at clayton, to the lads having a good old rave up at Horsedeane. But yeah, made sure i kept my salt levels up, even though most checkpoints post washington or even before had run out of electolites, so i was downing scaps every half hour or so which gave me a general sick feeling from Washington, but i guess it worked.

And the madness continues!

Current state of play:

Pembury: 9 - Downs Link 38 October 2015