Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just finished Chicago in 03:05. A new PB. Super happy with that. Next stop Tokyo, to complete the Majors Series, most likely in 2018.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
****. That's quick. How was the weather? Last year they had a heatwave.

Get on the Laguinitas tonight you deserve it, superb effort.

Thanks! I was in the first wave which went at 07:30 and was done a little after 10:30 so I was okay but it hit around 16-18 just after noon. I think some will have struggled as the second wave started at 08:30 and they were running into this. The weather is crazy here as someone told me one year it was so cold the water at the water stations was freezing.

I can assure you I will be sampling the delights of Chicago's excellent craft seen shortly fella! I'm here for another 3 days....one marathon ends, another begins!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Unbelievable! Well done - amazing time!
You have earnt a beer �� tonight
How old are you?

Thanks very much. I started the race at 48.... I feeling 68 at the moment.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Thanks! I was in the first wave which went at 07:30 and was done a little after 10:30 so I was okay but it hit around 16-18 just after noon. I think some will have struggled as the second wave started at 08:30 and they were running into this. The weather is crazy here as someone told me one year it was so cold the water at the water stations was freezing.

I can assure you I will be sampling the delights of Chicago's excellent craft seen shortly fella! I'm here for another 3 days....one marathon ends, another begins!

I was there last year the weekend after the marathon. Below freezing at night about 6 degrees in the day, although our final day it warmed up again to 15 so I had a pleasant run around Lake Michigan.

Sub 3 in Tokyo?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Amazing effort for an old ****. Brilliant. Jesus heals.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I believe I have now replenished all my lost fluids!

Cheers everyone!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So, Chicago race report.

As like all the marathons I've run its a classic big-city race. Very well organised, lots of publicity and it dominates the city for the weekend. It doesn't draw the crowds like London, Berlin or New York, isn't as loud as either of these, and the last few miles are surprisingly low on numbers. London's ending on The Mall by comparison is deafening. There's even one viewing stretch around 24 miles which had corporate sponsorship, and I presume was by invitation, which was pretty much empty. Not what you need when you're struggling.

I arrived in town on the Friday afternoon and just wandered around the lovely Wicker Park area.

Saturday morning I was up early for a coffee and pastry and to have a think about my race plans. I had trained for 3:15 but it was a struggle initially as I didn't have the proper base fitness due to a year out due to injury. But, my times in the last 6 weeks were on target and I was feeling good, feeling inspired and importantly the weather was looking perfect.

Off to the race expo to pick up my bib; I got talking to a 3:05 pace-setter. After listening to him for a bit I decided to run with a pace-setter for the first time and in turn get a PB (I have a fear of getting slower) It was a great decision as I let him worry about timing and just switched off and enjoyed the ride. The guy offered lots of in-race info, commentary and motivation. Some of the miles just breezed past with him leading and commenting. He brought the group in on 03:04:30 pretty much on the mark as planned. After a fast 30-35k I'd slowed to 7:20 miles and was really having to dig-in for the last 2 miles (It is quite brutal having to run when there's little to nothing in the tank). I got to the last mile and knew a PB was in the bag which was a nice feeling. I finished a minute behind the pace group.

As an aside I walked away from the finish line without any problems and importantly for me no injuries. Both NYC and Boston led to lay-offs and every marathon a general feeling of having been slapped around for 3 hours. Marathon running is a strange pastime to enjoy isn't it?

Back home now and about the take the Frau out for a meal as thank you for all her support.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside Chicago is a truly fantastic city

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Amazing effort for an old ****. Brilliant. Jesus heals.

Jesus does heal! If anyone sees him soon please pass on my thanks.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
So, Chicago race report.

As like all the marathons I've run its a classic big-city race. Very well organised, lots of publicity and it dominates the city for the weekend. It doesn't draw the crowds like London, Berlin or New York, isn't as loud as either of these, and the last few miles are surprisingly low on numbers. London's ending on The Mall by comparison is deafening. There's even one viewing stretch around 24 miles which had corporate sponsorship, and I presume was by invitation, which was pretty much empty. Not what you need when you're struggling.

I arrived in town on the Friday afternoon and just wandered around the lovely Wicker Park area.

Saturday morning I was up early for a coffee and pastry and to have a think about my race plans. I had trained for 3:15 but it was a struggle initially as I didn't have the proper base fitness due to a year out due to injury. But, my times in the last 6 weeks were on target and I was feeling good, feeling inspired and importantly the weather was looking perfect.

Off to the race expo to pick up my bib; I got talking to a 3:05 pace-setter. After listening to him for a bit I decided to run with a pace-setter for the first time and in turn get a PB (I have a fear of getting slower) It was a great decision as I let him worry about timing and just switched off and enjoyed the ride. The guy offered lots of in-race info, commentary and motivation. Some of the miles just breezed past with him leading and commenting. He brought the group in on 4:04:30 pretty much on the mark as planned. After a fast 30-35k I'd slowed to 7:20 miles and was really having to dig-in for the last 2 miles (It is quite brutal having to run when there's little to nothing in the tank). I got to the last mile and knew a PB was in the bag which was a nice feeling. I finished a minute behind the pace group.

As an aside I walked away from the finish line without any problems and importantly for me no injuries. Both NYC and Boston led to lay-offs and every marathon a general feeling of having been slapped around for 3 hours. Marathon running is a strange pastime to enjoy isn't it?

Back home now and about the take the Frau out for a meal as thank you for all her support.

Excellent run and drinkathon. You may want to edit the 4:04:30!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Excellent run and drinkathon. You may want to edit the 4:04:30!

Ah, good spot.

I'll post my drinkathon in the craft thread shortly.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Jesus does heal! If anyone sees him soon please pass on my thanks.

I'lll be seeing him when my rheumatoid arthritis flare decides to go. 10 weeks in now and no letting up. He'll need to get to work on my spine.ard neck area. I'lll tell him your time and ask if he can do the same for me.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here