Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marathon Thread

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Delighted to report that Jerusalem Marathon was completed in 4:06.
I am now officially a 100 Marathon Club member. A great course but certainly the hardest road marathon I have done. Still what goes up comes down!

Next up: Brighton marathon. I will be a 4:45 pacer so hope to see some of you out on our city roads

Jerusalem sounds tough, that's a fantastic achievement well done. Numbers 4 and 5 coming up for me in April both on nice flat courses

JDMariner

Jan 30, 2017
Good old Sussex
Hi, anyone on here run the Rome marathon before? I'm taking part in just under couple weeks time, my 2nd marathon - wondering if anyone has experience of that one? Thanks

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Hi, anyone on here run the Rome marathon before? I'm taking part in just under couple weeks time, my 2nd marathon - wondering if anyone has experience of that one? Thanks

Haven't run it before but also running it. From what I've read it's flat and fast provided you get near the front. Well supported with plenty of aid stations and very scenic as runs through the heart of the city. Advice is to be wary of the cobbled streets so a decent pair of shoes is a must. Really looking forward to it. See ya there

JDMariner

Jan 30, 2017
Good old Sussex
Ahaaa, a fellow Romer! Hope you have a good one. Yes I've read a lot of it is fairly flat, quite a hill at about 18 miles and again at about 22? The cobbled streets could be interesting though I've read not quite as bad as what we would picture as obviously worn down a lot over years of use. We shall see! I'm annoyingly in the 3rd Wave as my only other marathon was 4:24, so I'm hoping to get myself to the front of that wave to try and be able to get into my own rhythm as easily as poss. Hoping to break 4 hours this time (just had a bad day in first marathon so capable of better time), however a few unknown factors in this one (possible heat, cobbles etc) so we shall see. Have a great time!!

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Ahaaa, a fellow Romer! Hope you have a good one. Yes I've read a lot of it is fairly flat, quite a hill at about 18 miles and again at about 22? The cobbled streets could be interesting though I've read not quite as bad as what we would picture as obviously worn down a lot over years of use. We shall see! I'm annoyingly in the 3rd Wave as my only other marathon was 4:24, so I'm hoping to get myself to the front of that wave to try and be able to get into my own rhythm as easily as poss. Hoping to break 4 hours this time (just had a bad day in first marathon so capable of better time), however a few unknown factors in this one (possible heat, cobbles etc) so we shall see. Have a great time!!

I may have slightly exaggerated my expected finish time to get me in the first wave. It will almost certainly be a slowish start and gradually get faster as the field spreads out. I'm also massively looking forward to huge Italian food carb loading for the 48 hours prior as fly out on the Friday. Best of luck, hope you enjoy it

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Marathon number 5 done. Limassol achieved in 4.28.36 (new PB by just under 13 minutes). Brighton in a couple of weeks will be number 6!

JDMariner

Jan 30, 2017
Good old Sussex
Hi 'Penny's Harmonica' - how did you get on in Rome, hope you had a good run? Race day was a bit of a drenching wasn't it, the good old British weather followed us over there for that day!! I'm very pleased though as had a great run and beat my 4 hour target by finishing in 3:52 so smashed it and also a new PB by just over 30 minutes! Rome conquered, now what next?! :p

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Hi 'Penny's Harmonica' - how did you get on in Rome, hope you had a good run? Race day was a bit of a drenching wasn't it, the good old British weather followed us over there for that day!! I'm very pleased though as had a great run and beat my 4 hour target by finishing in 3:52 so smashed it and also a new PB by just over 30 minutes! Rome conquered, now what next?! :p

Have a look at the running thread - full report there. And well done!

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
I'm running the Brighton Marathon this weekend. My first one. Feeling the nerves as we get close but I've trained hard and hoping to squeak in under 4 hours. Great to see the exotic places others have done. This maybe the first of many

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Good luck everyone running tomorrow. Schoolboy error made yesterday when I decided to pick up my race pack before going to the pub to watch the game. All got far too messy and managed to lose it on the bus home. Ideal prep! Bloody Albion. Tomorrow is marathon number 10. Number 11 is the Causeway Coast Marathon in Northern Ireland.

oldham gull

Jul 24, 2003
Oldham
I haven't managed to sign on for ages, but finally managed to, and looking for any recommendations for August marathons in the south? I've managed my third and fourth marathons this march and may, looking for a nice gentle summer one for number 5 somewhere?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here