Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Puppy training with a clicker

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Our little westie pup is 14 weeks old now, been going out regularly down the park with our other westie who is 2yrs but the pup is still going toilet indoors.
How long you think before she stops shitting indoors?

In the case of the Palace coach driver, about 55 years

black & white seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Brighton
Our little westie pup is 14 weeks old now, been going out regularly down the park with our other westie who is 2yrs but the pup is still going toilet indoors.
How long you think before she stops shitting indoors?

Puppies need to go out into the garden every hour. Stay out there with them until they've done something, go nuts with the praise, repeat an hour later.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
We got a 4 ysar old rescue from Battersea and she's treat orientated when it comes to training, but to command her I ckick my fingers and she hears and obeys almost immediately. Found this works well if she's focussed on something that has all her attention such as a squirrel or cat. The click breaks that focus and then she's much more receptive to a command. I guess a clicker is the same thing. The key is to be totally consistent. You'll have to use it all the time, as that'll be the way you command him. The dog will associate commands with the clicker, so everyone who is going to be in charge of the dog will need to use it otherwise the dog will just get confused and the training will take longer and degrade.

The big thing is make training fun, if the dog enjoys it the boundaries are quickly established. My Rosie is treat orientated and using pure meat beef jerky it's healthy as well. Reward is playing with her football. She's fantastic, but took a good 6 months as she was an older dog.

The other thing I've found with her is tone of voice. She knows instantly when the command I give is ultra serious. She saw a squirrel in the park yesterday and wanted to chase it across the car park. Immediate short sharp command of stay and she halted in her tracks. Didn't shout, just changed my tone. Then it's a quick friendly 'come', 'sit' and give her a treat. I also use visual handsignals with ever command. Stay is index finger directly up, come is a flat hand motion from her to me, sit is turning theat flat hand over and motioning down. She picked it up so quickly and she's happy that she has boundaries to work within. :D

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Has anyone tried this?

Seems a bit of a gimmick, but with 10 week El Poochie joining the household I'm keen to get him into good habits ASAP.

Treats and praise. Puppy mats and newspaper just teach them that it's alright to shit inside, as someone else said, take them outside regularly until they do something then reward.

We've go a second on arriving on Sunday so are gearing up for it all over again.

Purely for El P. you can quickly teach them to lick your nipples by coating them (the nipples) in peanut butter.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Treats and praise. Puppy mats and newspaper just teach them that it's alright to shit inside, as someone else said, take them outside regularly until they do something then reward.

We've go a second on arriving on Sunday so are gearing up for it all over again.

Purely for El P. you can quickly teach them to lick your nipples by coating them (the nipples) in peanut butter.

Marmite works too.

He's settled in with our existing one, who is getting quite old now.

Pooch Bros-001.jpg

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Puppies need to go out into the garden every hour. Stay out there with them until they've done something, go nuts with the praise, repeat an hour later.

I agree, with going into the garden regularly especially within 30 minutes of a meal. Newspaper just reduces the cleaning up for little accidents.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
I don't use it personally and we don't teach it in our training club. However, one of the other trainers uses it on her Gundogs and she demonstrates it now and again and it certainly seems to work.
Its basically a positive reinforcement method which is much more preferable than anything negative (harsh handling, raised voice, air/sprays etc, anything by that yank with the tan and teeth).
From what I understand, it is most effective from avery early age, and the first few days is just "clicker/treat", getting them used to positiveness of the clicker noise.

Good luck. Cracking pup by the way, I really like the English and Gordon Setters.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I don't use it personally and we don't teach it in our training club. However, one of the other trainers uses it on her Gundogs and she demonstrates it now and again and it certainly seems to work.
Its basically a positive reinforcement method which is much more preferable than anything negative (harsh handling, raised voice, air/sprays etc, anything by that yank with the tan and teeth).
From what I understand, it is most effective from avery early age, and the first few days is just "clicker/treat", getting them used to positiveness of the clicker noise.

Good luck. Cracking pup by the way, I really like the English and Gordon Setters.

Cheers

He's my third English, they're great dogs.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Marmite works too.

He's settled in with our existing one, who is getting quite old now.

View attachment 63964
I'm sure all of us who've introduced a new puppy into the family have equally wonderful photos.

Lionel would follow Moby everywhere, but enjoyed nipping at him too.
This was tolerated with good grace as Moby was the brains of the operation.

When he'd had enough Moby would lay down.
The moment Lionel came over a big paw would come out and pin Lionel to the floor.
He'd hold him there till Lionel gave up and went to sleep, at that point Moby would then carry on with his day.

Spot the poster still struggling to come to terms with home without dogs.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Our friends have a Gordon Setter bitch, who is gorgeous, but completely nutty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here