Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus gets the boot

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Precious. We are a small club no matter what anyone thinks. Of course we are a stepping stone; I'd be worried if we employed a manager who thought that we were the absolute peak of their ambitions.

I couldn't give a monkeys **** if our manager wanted a bigger job as long as we were winning, which we were. Contrary to popular belief we didn't "bottle" the play off semi, we just lost to a better side on the night and didn't play to our full potential. Such is life.

As a club, together with TB, he brought us to life and gave us something to shout and sing about. Since he's gone you'd have thought people would appreciate what he did for us seeing some of tripe served up by Garcia and Hyypia.

I could take all the baggage that came with Gus, except his constant touting, if that makes me precious, so be it. I don't need to hear the Brighton manager touting himself before every big game, I want to hear him enthusing about Brighton not about managing the opposition ( Leeds and Arsenal spring to mind)

But to be honest using that argument, we would only be happy if a manager we had deceided to bugger off to a top 4 prem club, which with GUS was never going to be the case. It was obvious with Barber and Burke, he had had enough and it ended acrimoniously, as a lot of these things do. He was offered a job in the premiership, which he took and at the time I think most of us said good luck to him, but we knew it was the wrong club for him. I think it's a shame it didn't work out for him but I bear no malice towards GUS at all. I think it is a shame for Charlie and tannio, as I have a lot of time for them, especially after the ill informed shit that was aimed at them over poogate.

Poyet was dismissed for gross misconduct (ie his behaviour was so bad that it destroyed the employer/employee relationship, and merited instant dismissal without notice or pay in lieu of notice). He hasn't challenged the decision, except via internal appeal, so I assume he's accepted that going to a Tribunal and/or Court would be equally unsuccessful. There's no evidence that I can see of the club paying him off and no provision for this was made in the 2012/13 accounts filed with CH. Basically, whether he'd had enough of Barber, Burke, Bloom(s), Chapman, Franks, Perry, Sugarman or the girl on the WSU sweet trolly is neither proven nor is it obvious; Gus Poyet got himself fired.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I could take all the baggage that came with Gus, except his constant touting, if that makes me precious, so be it. I don't need to hear the Brighton manager touting himself before every big game, I want to hear him enthusing about Brighton not about managing the opposition ( Leeds and Arsenal spring to mind)

Christ alive - I've heard some revisionist claptrap but that takes the biscuit. If anyone actually bothered paying attention in those interviews, he was mainly answering direct questions and to say it was before every big game is utter nonsense.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Poyet was dismissed for gross misconduct (ie his behaviour was so bad that it destroyed the employer/employee relationship, and merited instant dismissal without notice or pay in lieu of notice). He hasn't challenged the decision, except via internal appeal, so I assume he's accepted that going to a Tribunal and/or Court would be equally unsuccessful. There's no evidence that I can see of the club paying him off and no provision for this was made in the 2012/13 accounts filed with CH. Basically, whether he'd had enough of Barber, Burke, Bloom(s), Chapman, Franks, Perry, Sugarman or the girl on the WSU sweet trolly is neither proven nor is it obvious; Gus Poyet got himself fired.

It was going to a tribunal/court, until he was offered the job at Sunderland. Guesswork but I assume that Sunderland asked him to drop his case as a condition of employment.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Something rotten in the state of Sunderland....

Martin O'Neil, Mick McCarthy, Steve Bruce.... are all excellent, proven managers at other clubs - but they came a cropper at the Stadium Of Light. I wonder why? Something there will prevent success until it is changed. If any manager gives up a decent job to go there under the current regime he will regret it .

[ No, I would not have Poyet back, success on the pitch,yes, but gross misconduct behind the scenes ]

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

About the same for me, although I was so keen on his lack of enthusiasm for Cup games (made be put a bet on Stoke to beat Sunderland at good odds).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Christ alive - I've heard some revisionist claptrap but that takes the biscuit. If anyone actually bothered paying attention in those interviews, he was mainly answering direct questions and to say it was before every big game is utter nonsense.

If you missed him touting himself, you obviously weren't paying attention, I'll avoid getting all aggressive and precious about it though....

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Nothing revisionist in any of that.
Let himself down.
Let the fans down.
Let the club down.
And if I am tempted to feel some sympathy with those whose heads he turned it is wholly mitigated by the cash in their pockets.

It was going to a tribunal/court, until he was offered the job at Sunderland. Guesswork but I assume that Sunderland asked him to drop his case as a condition of employment.

Unless papers were actually served then the first contention surely falls into the same category your second?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Gus’s argument was that the gross misconduct sounded worse than it was. I believe him with this, however there is such a wide spectrum of reasons that could destroy the employer/employee relationship, we would have dotted the I’s and crossed the t’s on the evidence. It would have been too much hassle going to court with nothing gained.

As it stands with many connotations of gross misconduct, he could still clear his name publicly if he did not think they were serious. Maybe the GM was more embarrassing than something sinister and he feels it best not to go public, other than that there is nothing to stop him. Until he comes out with his version of events, the questions of what happened will remain. He is free to talk and there is no injunction out there for him not to.

Guesswork but I assume this is why he didn’t go to court.

Edit: Just his email after the game would have been enough to sack him.

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
Feels odd, I always wanted him to succeed (as I do with virtually all our players who move on to *perceived* bigger clubs or higher divisions. But there's a part of me I'm unfamiliar with that is feeling really smug and is glad he has been shown to be less of the godlike genius he believed himself to be.

Wish I didn't feel that way but I just do.

Although, to be honest, does anyone for one minute think he will mentally accept any of the blame...I highly doubt it...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Feels odd, I always wanted him to succeed (as I do with virtually all our players who move on to *perceived* bigger clubs or higher divisions. But there's a part of me I'm unfamiliar with that is feeling really smug and is glad he has been shown to be less of the godlike genius he believed himself to be.

Wish I didn't feel that way but I just do.

Although, to be honest, does anyone for one minute think he will mentally accept any of the blame...I highly doubt it...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31889767

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Have not read any of previous posts(will do later) Gus and the players he took should have stayed for the Long Run. They are all minted but fecked:moo:

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
F**k Poyet who really cares he let us down big time in the playoffs! Also there is no excuse for sulking and not wanting to play football for the club that employs you "Bridcutt" See ya!! :laugh:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

My understanding is that there was a payoff. Poyet contacted the LMA and they advised him to take the offer from the Albion, rather than go through the court.

Last edited:

Hugh'sDad

Nov 29, 2011
'Ove
Big Sam apparently the favourite the get the job in the summer. I don't think you'd swap WH for the Mackems though, would you? Especially given that WH are going to be moving into their new ground soon etc. Unless the WH hierachy have set their sights on someone better than Big Sam?

I think it'll be the mirror image of the Alan Pardew scenario. Big Sam is a better manager than he's given credit for, and West Ham will miss him more than they know, and shortly after he bails out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here