A long way to go - but Hughton reckons the signs are encouraging [The Argus]

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Albion boss Chris Hughton has warned his players they are still a long way from Championship safety.
But he is encouraged that they have been competitive in all 12 league games since he took charge.
Tuesday’s 2-1 defeat at Reading was the fifth of Hughton’s reign by the odd goal and they still have a three-win gap over the bottom three ahead of Saturday's visit by promotion challengers Wolves.
Hughton told The Argus: “We’re not safe, not by a long way. I am grateful of that nine-point cushion but I am annoyed and disappointed with the (Reading) result.
“Where we are okay is that, even away from home where we haven’t got the results we want, nobody has beaten us big, certainly in my time here and even previously. In the games we have lost nobody has beaten us by more than one goal. We've got to get that formula right away from home. We're not there yet and we have got to work as hard as we can to get there.”

Dale Stephens should be available for the Wolves game. He was omitted from the squad at Reading as a precaution after a series of substitute appearances since ten months out with ankle trouble.Hughton said: “Dale just felt something very slight on Monday so didn't train but did some work on Tuesday. I am very much hoping and thinking he will be fit for the weekend.
“It was just something else, not the ankle, but it was more precaution. He has been out for ten months and the last thing we want to do is take a little bit of a risk.”
Craig Mackail-Smith, ruled out of the last two games by a hamstring strain, is also expected to return to the squad.

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports