Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blurred Lines v Marvin Gaye

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Trying to find it, but I think RT & PW took the Gaye family to court over what they said about the similarity.
Didn't turn out how they expected though.

That could make sense. A sort of preemptive strike on an allegation made by the family, before they took it to court themselves.

Edit: I can see that you have posted to this effect.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Did anyone else see the interview with one of Marvin Gaye's daughters outside the court?

"Right now, I feel free. Free from... Pharrell Williams and Robin Thicke's chains and what they tried to keep on us and the lies that were told."

Oh do F*** OFF, you just want to get a nice TIDY settlement for your family. She makes it sound like they kidnapped her.

Absolutely spot on. The biggest over reaction I've seen in a long time. I imagine the Gaye estate keeps them well maintained and as for the song, I've listen to both a few times (well, watched the Blurred Lines video) and it seems very opportunistic on their part. Ludicrous decision.

I'm awaiting McCartney and Ringo suing Oasis for every song in their repertoire.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The daughter as bad an over reaction as I've ever seen. Silly cow

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm sick of people ripping off Marvin Gaye. Really, What's Going On?

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned this...

"Speaking outside the court, the lawyer for Marvin Gaye's family revealed that the case had originally been brought against them."

Heard that this morning and thought I'd heard wrong.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I liked a comment on the case that I read earlier, in that there are a limited number if chords etc but if both songs were played on acoustic guitar with no production there was no duplication. It would seem that the 'feel' of the song is what the jury decided was ripped off. Therefore when any new genre emerge they will all have a similar feel so everyone will get sued. As has been mentioned by others oasis to be sued by the Beatles early jam to be sued by the who.....I just need to track down who has copied Mr blobbys hit

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here