Women's Football

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
what annoyed me was that Lizzy Yarnold became world champion last
weekend and that makes her concurrent Olympic, European and World
Champ

What coverage did she get? - f*** all compared with f*** davis cup sh*t.
2 weekends ago Ian Stannard won a prestigious race on the Saturday, Mark Cavendish (now you know what I'm talking about) won another on Sunday.
Both Belgium, both in the afternoon.
The Sunday event was on Eurosport, #homeofcycling the Saturday race might not even have been televised in the UK.

What are the Beeb to do then? Spend billions of quid of tax payers money trying to keep up with Sky etc, or use the opportunity to show sport that none of the other broadcasters are likely to cover? I am pretty sure that the moaning would be louder if they did the former.

If they have any agenda, perhaps it is to encourage people to get out and play sport? Or to show sport that is played in the correct spirit? Or is your problem with the fact that the women are more likely to have success than the men's equivalent? The Brits do have a reputation for supporting the underdog and turning their noses up at people who find success.

Yesterday afternoon BBC2 had highlights of the winter stuff, followed by some triathlon, sure it's not a real sport but I bet they picked up the highlights dirt cheap.

There's plenty of post Olympic sport out there, but we'll never get an Olympian approach to broadcasting all the time 'the media' feeds us a diet of the bloated fatted carcass that was football, and 'we' keep gorging on it.

How many times are you going to hear or see the name Manchester United, today?
I'm sure it'll be akin to the Daily Mail's coverage of Princess Diana's resurrection and her struggle to get a mortgage, while Romanians move in next door, during a death defying flood.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Maybe we could give women in football a bit more support and cheer them on with phrases like "Get your t1ts out for the lads" and "Show us where you pi55 from, you wh0re".

Wow! Thanks for that Dan, I don't actually think I suggested anything like that?

Alternatively we could shout those phrases at our own mothers, daughters and wives and see just how good they make us feel.

If you don't like the game played by people who aren't at Premiership level then don't watch.

If you don't like the game played by people who aren't at Championship level then don't watch.

If you don't like watching women enjoying sport then don't watch - no one is forcing you and no one requested your comments.

In a week where there are accusations of football returning to the bad old days of the 70s, maybe the exclusion of over half of our society, because someone doesn't like it and thinks the propaganda machine is in full swing, is a little insensitive.

I meet your "flaming expected" with a "Flaming? Not at all. Condemnation? Why yes. Get back to your trough and keep oinking in private".

Condemnation, trough and Oinking for suggesting the discussion of a topic which every licence payer is entitled to have a view on?

Making some loose link to pitch invasions and 70's hooliganism? Think you have an agenda here Dan, anyone else you get offended for?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
what annoyed me was that Lizzy Yarnold became world champion last
weekend and that makes her concurrent Olympic, European and World
Champ

What coverage did she get? - f*** all compared with f*** davis cup sh*t.

Lizzy Yarnold is being interviewed on BBC Breakfast right now. I enjoyed the Davis cup, as well as enjoying winter sports. There's room for both.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Maybe we could give women in football a bit more support and cheer them on with phrases like "Get your t1ts out for the lads" and "Show us where you pi55 from, you wh0re".

Alternatively we could shout those phrases at our own mothers, daughters and wives and see just how good they make us feel.

If you don't like the game played by people who aren't at Premiership level then don't watch.

If you don't like the game played by people who aren't at Championship level then don't watch.

If you don't like watching women enjoying sport then don't watch - no one is forcing you and no one requested your comments.

In a week where there are accusations of football returning to the bad old days of the 70s, maybe the exclusion of over half of our society, because someone doesn't like it and thinks the propaganda machine is in full swing, is a little insensitive.

I meet your "flaming expected" with a "Flaming? Not at all. Condemnation? Why yes. Get back to your trough and keep oinking in private".

Well done Dan.

After despairing over some of the sexist denigration posted above by various thickos and misogynists who haven't the wit to appreciate that at least half the population may just have more than an a mere passing interest in the women's game, yours is a refreshing and welcome post.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
The Beeb are trying to promote female involvement in sport. This is a national issue with governmental backing. The national broadcaster should be doing stuff to promote women's sport in all its guises.

And I just watched Lizzie Yarnold's interview with my 13 year old daughter. Inspiring stuff for a young girl trying to navigate her way through adolescence.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I'm not sexist, but... sniff, grizzle, whine.

As for the other twaddle written on here by people who like to re-write history, I'm just curious as to what they're scared of. Perhaps it's the gun that's being held to their heads that forces them to watch women's football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here