Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

chip shop dinner...what are you having?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
If you have a deep fat fryer I now buy fresh fish from the quayside shop straight off the boats we have a couple in Plymouth, the one in Looe is very good because the fishing boats do not stay out at sea so its really fresh.
Get them to chop the fillets off and make your own batter, far cheaper than the chip shop.
Hastings and Eastbourne have good ones on the beach especially for Plaice, I am sure there are many more.
If you live by the sea make the most of it.
BTW anyone tried deep frying pieces of fish in Panko breadcrumbs its very nice.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I like Skate and chips from Marinos in Burgess Hill but wife wants to try their Cod Bites they look to be good value at £2.60 for 4, obviously off cuts of fish.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
A long long time ago (1970) I can remember going to the chippie after swimming in North Road Baths:eek: and getting a pennyworth of scraps
There used to be baths in Brighton!?

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
The absolute must in fish & chippery is to vinegar first then salt, so the salt STICKS to the vinegar.

If anyone does it the other way round, go stand in the corner with the milk before the tea bag crew.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Probably the only thing I miss about Aberdeen:

Haddock Supper (Large Haddock & Chips).

If I were still in Cheshire I might go for:

Steak and Kidney Pudding, Chips, Gravy and Mushy Peas

Salt & Vinegar as required with both of the above

The jocks have fish and chips right. Much as I love the captains table in saltdean, or countless other high quality chip shops on the Sussex coast, step North of the border and chip shops are on a different level.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Unfortunately the best chippies are up North or West Country. Though most places have at least one passable chippy.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Bardsleys, eat in, battered cod, chips and mushy peas, salt and vinegar. Alternatively on a nice summers day outside at The Melrose, grilled whole plaice, chips and mushy peas.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
The jocks have fish and chips right. Much as I love the captains table in saltdean, or countless other high quality chip shops on the Sussex coast, step North of the border and chip shops are on a different level.

Where exactly are these "countless high quality" f&c shops, I know of very few sadly. None in Shoreham that I would say are anything but passable, none I've tried in Worthing either - though I hear Chipwicks is supposed to be good. Considering where we live it's rather poor.

I don't go East of Shoreham if I can help it.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Bardsley's is the best, battered cod, chips, plenty of vinegar, a little bit of salt :thumbsup:

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Battered sausage and chips.

Getting anything else makes you SOFT.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Haddock and Chips, mushy peas, and a pickled egg.

or

Steak and Kidney Pie, Curry sauce and a wally and chips

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patreon
Aug 7, 2003
I prefer the chip shops in Bruges

imgp28362.jpg

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Large chips with salt and onion vinegar.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here