Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Most Picturesque Counties in England

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Sorry, it's a Daily Fail article and probably from a very small survey, in fact it's probably a thinly veiled advert, but what are your thoughts:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...amed-picturesque-county-England.html#comments

1. Cornwall 19.7%
2. Yorkshire 18.2%
3. Cumbria 11.5%
4. Devon 11%
5. Kent 4.6%
6. Derbyshire 4.5%
7. Northumberland 4.1%
8. Dorset 3.9%
9. Isle of Wight 3.2%
10. Gloucestershire 3.1%

For me, Cornwall is nowhere near as beautiful as Devon, with large swathes of it being bleak. And Sussex has a lot more to offer than Kent. I think our tourist board need to do a bit of work.

My top five (having visited all the counties of England), would be:

1. Cumbria (by a VERY long way)
2. North Yorkshire (Yorkshire is not a county)
3. Devon
4. Sussex (ok, not a county either)
5. Dorset.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I agree with Devon, and East and West Sussex. I live in Kent and there are some lovely parts, but more nondescript parts than you'd hope. High/Low Weald and around where I live are pretty nice though. Not as nice as Sussex though...

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Oh, Good thread Notters.

I shall have to give this some consideration and post back later. early doors, I would put parts of Gloucestershire (Cotswolds) right up there.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
2. North Yorkshire (Yorkshire is not a county)
4. Sussex (ok, not a county either)

I guess it depends on how you define them - administratively I'd agree they are not counties but they are physically.

Anyway, I'll throw in Glamorgan and the whole of the county of Yorkshire. I also like the contrast in Cornwall, some a bit bleak but other parts rugged and other parts lush green. I don;t think I could make a top five list though.

EDIT - I also use Sussex when giving my full address, none of this East and West rubbish !

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I guess it depends on how you define them - administratively I'd agree they are not counties but they are physically.

Anyway, I'll throw in Glamorgan and the whole of the county of Yorkshire. I also like the contrast in Cornwall, some a bit bleak but other parts rugged and other parts lush green. I don;t think I could make a top five list though.

EDIT - I also use Sussex when giving my full address, none of this East and West rubbish !
England sonny Jim, England!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Can't disagree with Cumbria at all, North Yorkshire is also stunning but I absolutely love Dorset, a beautiful county both on the coast and inland.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Derbyshire (peak District Buxton, Dovedale etc) must be up there surely?

Agree that Cornwall is luvverly and I like Glamorgan now that it is in England (10 miles from Dumbartonshire (also now in England)).

TNBA

TTF

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Cumbria
Cornwall
Sussex
Devon
Wherever the Scotch Highlands are located.

Cornwall coast is joyous, I live for some of the year on high ground near Lands End. From there you can see both coastlines, St Michaels Mount, sunrise and sunset and no light pollution. I'd defy anyone to not rate it near the top of a list. I do prefer Sussex though, not many trees in Cornwall.

The Lakes are of course a jewel.

I've literally just come in the door from Painshill in Surrey. Surrey has some lovely countryside but too many really bad towns to be up high on the list but Painshill Park is pretty stunning.

Sussex had those green and golden rolling hills as far as the eye can see, it epitomises England to me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
West Sussex.
Everywhere else.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Kent...I mean...there are some nice bits, but it's nowhere near the likes of Cumbria (well, the Lake District), Derbyshire, Cornwall and so on.

For starters, it has Gillingham, Sittingbourne, Dartford, Margate, the Isle of Sheppey, Dover and Thanet. That's far more horrendous towns than any county has a right to, surely?

I'm sure Canterbury and Whitstable are all very picturesque, but they and a few oast houses don't make up for that lot just listed, by a long shot.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I grew up on Portland and my gran still lives in Weymouth . Dorset has some stunning areas. West Bay for example.

If you ever get to Weymouth , for a truly stunning view head out of the town , away from portland on the coast road, go past Overcombe Corner and up the hill to The Spyglass pub, get yourself a pint of Cocky Hop and head to the back garden, go up to the fence and look right. It's a breathtaker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here