Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McClaren - No quality in our goals...

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Twaddle, you're just being needy. It's very mirror mirror on the wall! - I think you'll find most managers a little bitter when they feel 'wronged'.....

BTW Took me 30 seconds to find this

Brighton head coach Oscar Garcia:

"It was a totally unfair result. We were better than them in all areas. I am
really proud of our performance.

"If the ref had given us an early penalty it would have been a better start.
And in the second half we should have had a penalty but we need to improve in
front of goal.

In what way do you think that Oscar's quote is disparaging to the quality of the opponents performance?
Nothing wrong with bemoaning some decisions against you or the quality of your own performance.

Saying there is no quality in the goals we scored. Is a bit churlish, isn't it?
Particularly when you take a look at Kaz's goal...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
McClaren is under pressure alright, and it shows.

Most of the season it has looked like Derby will be top 2, but Watford are coming from nowhere, and could well win this league. Norwich had a dodgy result vs Wigan, but must be in with a serious shout of at least second place.

What then for Derby ? More playoff pressure ?

Perhaps Steve needs to focus a little more on his own problems ?

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't think it's a case of being needy. A lot us thought of McClaren, as the wally with the brolly, and a total prat for the fake Dutch accent when he was at FC Twente, so most of us are laughing at his lack of class.

Laughing, not indignation or anger, or any sense of need.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I'm not clear why so many are outraged by this. The 'no quality' remark was in answer to a question about whether he was concerned about the quality of the goals they had conceded. His response seemed to me to be a criticism of his own team's defending rather than our attacking. He seemed to be coming from the angle that his defence should have been able to stop them. This is certainly true of the first goal. He was a little silly to have made the flippant remark in response having not seen the second.

He was right that we looked like a team waiting to be beaten at the start of the second half, but it was really good to see the determination of our team to get in blocks and defend what we had as the match progressed. He was wrong that we had two shots and scored from them both, but this is the kind of thing we have all said when disappointed that dominance hasn't led to a win.

Doesn't it feel good to be on the other side of that feeling? I can't remember it happening too often over the last few seasons, but do recall loads of games where we dominated and failed to win, after which I would have sounded just like McLaren (obviously without the Dutch accent).

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Let's enjoy the win and move on.

If McClaren wants to make himself look like a king-sized bellend (which he has), then so be it. Let him spout nonense in the background and we'll enjoy the 3 points. Derby can worry about trying to stop the wheels from falling off.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Instead of “Stand Or Fall”, perhaps “Waiting To Get Beat” could be the new North Stand motto.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Derby have some reasonable players, I can see some of the better ones getting itchy feet if they don't make it up this time.

Looking at the table, an Ipswich V Norwich play off final is a distinct possibility.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here