Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet and Bridcutt

SAC

May 21, 2014
Very funny seeing the handbags between Gus and Bruce. Neither of them came out of it very well but at least Bruce had the decency to look embarrassed. Not sure what the problem Gus had with Bruce, his player dived and the ref booked him, nothing to do with Bruce at all.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Although its always handy if you could be 6'4'' whilst retaining your technique and coordination capabilities, I really do not see Bridcutt size as relevant, he is tough, dynamic and a willing worker.

If you want to write off his Premiership qualities, fine, but just based on size isnt the answer, there are plenty of 'his stamp' playing topfilght football, plenty.

really ....5'6" really.....cazorla , modric spring to mind immediately , both exceptional players , he is simply not built for the prem , my opinion ....:thumbsup:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
the Amex was rocking at times under Poyet and we certainly haven't seen anything like the gates or anywhere near the atmospheres, take lastnight for example, it's borderline embarrassing how quiet that place is .

At times, yes. But we also saw our fair share of quiet draws, & meek home defeats.

NB: "haven't seen the gates" -the biggest crowd ever at the amex was this season a few weeks ago and the biggest average crowd (27k) was in the season after he left under Oscar.

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
At times, yes. But we also saw our fair share of quiet draws, & meek home defeats.

NB: "haven't seen the gates" -the biggest crowd ever at the amex was this season a few weeks ago and the biggest average crowd (27k) was in the season after he left under Oscar.

Oh do come on, that was against Arsenal and if I'd been in charge of the club we'd have sold that out. People are very quick to forget and the end wasn't nice but that still doesn't take away from the fact that he energised us and what he did for us, some fans would rather just be bitter.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Oh do come on, that was against Arsenal .

Agreed re: Poyet . Exciting times.

But we have seen big gates since was my point and it stands. Under Oscar average crowds , or rather tickets sold, were higher all season than 12/13..

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
really ....5'6" really.....cazorla , modric spring to mind immediately , both exceptional players , he is simply not built for the prem , my opinion ....:thumbsup:

If you look a little more then there are many more, I am guessing that he might be a little taller than that anyway, probably nearer 5'7'', hey if heights the issue then an inch is important :)

He seems to have good power, good spring and brave enough as well, as long as he possesses those attributes then whether he is 5'7'' or 5'9'' doesnt seem to be such a disadvantage for a midfielder.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
If you look a little more then there are many more, I am guessing that he might be a little taller than that anyway, probably nearer 5'7'', hey if heights the issue then an inch is important :)

He seems to have good power, good spring and brave enough as well, as long as he possesses those attributes then whether he is 5'7'' or 5'9'' doesnt seem to be such a disadvantage for a midfielder.

yeh until he comes up against a proper 6'2" power house , he's fecked......as i said .....too small for the prem ....always my opinion only , great player , great engine , great vision ....big nuts......too small...

Yoda

English & European

Hmm! The first FULL season of the extended 30,500 capacity Amex. Remember, Gus' last season we started with only the East Upper and South Corners completed.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I wouldn't exactly be pleased, but I'd be chuckling heartily if Sunderland went down this season. There is no way he can say it isn't his team.

Whilst it would definitely be amusing on a certain level, to see Gus' excuses and sloping shoulders if they went down, I'm pretty sure its in the Albion's financial interests for them (and Leicester, for that matter) to stay up.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Bridcunt had no career u til we took him on, dusted him off and have him an opportunity to shine.

He repaid us by not being able to 'focus' while he sat on his hands and forced a move away from the club.

What a massive prick.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
yeh until he comes up against a proper 6'2" power house , he's fecked......as i said .....too small for the prem ....always my opinion only , great player , great engine , great vision ....big nuts......too small...

Just a little bit of googling gives perhaps a overview of height in the Premiership, it will of course take a little bit more analysis and you have to factor in a few things, but interesting reading nonetheless.

It seems the average heights of a Premiership player for last season ( includes all players that have featured ) is just under 5'11'', of course you would have to factor in goalkeepers, strikers and centre halves and I could not find a definitive average height exclusively for midfielders ( didnt really look very hard ).

But on this survey http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tall-short-it-how-premier-4503094, Bridcutt comes out at 1.75 (5'9'')

I am guessing agents/representatives add an inch where they can but he comes in as that height grouping between 56th to 70th smallest player at this height ( 14 players this height ).

I am guessing the smallest players being midfielders, fullbacks, perhaps a winger or two.

It might suggest that Bridcutt isnt too small for that league, perhaps not clever, technically or quick enough but his height needn't obviously limit him.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There's a difference between watching Gus because you're not over him and watching Gus because he's an egotistical crazy soul at a soap opera club. For me it's the latter.

With Chelsea now cruising towards the title and - let's face it - the majority of fans hate Chelsea, the focus turns towards the relegation dogfight. With one win in eleven Sunderland are in the thick of it. I'll laugh if they go down, but if it's them or QPR then I hope Sunderland and Gus stay up.

As for Bridcutt he isn't Prem quality. Personally I thought he was over-rated when he was here - he never scored and had only a very limited passing range, so it comes as no surprise he's not pulling up any trees on Wearside. However, he is still a damn sight better than Holla and JFC.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Bridcunt had no career u til we took him on, dusted him off and have him an opportunity to shine.

He repaid us by not being able to 'focus' while he sat on his hands and forced a move away from the club.

What a massive prick.

When he was at Chelsea, they offered him another year but with no guarantee of regular first team football. They told him that they thought he could carve out a good career below the PL but they didn't think that he would be able to hold down a place at the highest level.
He wasn't able to focus because he had been ' got at '...' tapped up '....whatever expression you want to use. Pressure was put on him to engineer a move out of BHA. His head was turned by an offer of increased money. As a father, with a young family, he was tempted.
In retrospect, he may have been better off playing every week in the Championship but the lure of more money has resulted in a squad player, struggling at the highest level.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
However, he is still a damn sight better than Holla and JFC.

You know what, right now with the way we are set up and actively trying to move the ball forward more quickly, I actually I think I'd have Holla over Bridcutt. :flameboun
As someone mentioned earlier, Holla makes two cracking passes and then one poor one, but at least they are all going in the right direction. Bridcutt and JFC were conditioned to play the ball sideways or backwards which is not the game we play at the moment.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

What a massive prick.
Jesus what a tool you are. That drivel completely ignores the fact he gave absolutely superb service to the club for 3 or 4 years, after we picked him up for a song - including a season where we finished league one champions, a season where we finished 4th in the Championship. And he was player of the season here. Twice.

So his heart wasn't in it at the end. That's not exactly unusual at any place of work is it? But it doesn't detract from 3 or 4 years of quality service for me.

If there is one "massive prick" around here, it's not Liam Bridcutt.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Bridcutt came back from his bad injury half the player he was before. I was glad to see him go especially for that money.

I think the club have done very well with every big player sale in recent years. Shame about the purchases though.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here