Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Official Site] HUGHTON HAILS A BIG RESULT

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011

Brighton & Hove Albion boss Chris Hughton hailed the 2-0 win over Derby County as a "big result" as his side opened up a nine-point gap over third-from-bottom Millwall.*He said, "That was probably the best result since I have been here – because of the opposition. That is no disrespect to Ipswich; arguably the Ipswich and Leeds matches were our best performances on the ball, but today was a different type of game. It was a game where the team had to show great character.
"It is a big result for us. For long spells in the game tonight they showed just why they are in their current league position. They are a very good side.
"The fact that their two main centre forwards were out was tough for them, but they still had great movement and got the ball into really good areas forcing us to defend really well.
"In those first 15 minutes of the second half we were thinking that if we were able to weather it then the game might open up a little bit, which of course was the case.
"The first goal was the one that I felt would win the game for either side."
Hughton once again praised goalkeeper David Stockdale after he made a number of crucial saves prior to Dale Stephens's opening goal.
He added, "I thought David was excellent. Apart from the saves, his general work was very good. He had to come and collect balls and he had to punch and defend long throws and a lot of corners.
"As a team we defended well and I would be interested to see how many blocks we put in from efforts outside the area. We were very resolute in our defending and the players showed just how much they wanted this result."

LATEST NEWS FROM SEAGULLS.CO.UK

Hughton also praised his two substitutes Dale Stephens and Kazenga LuaLua, as the pair came off the bench to net Albion's two goals in the win.He added, "Dale gave us fresh legs. He gave us that little bit of know-how and experience in that position.
"Of course he is desperate to play and desperate to get minutes under his belt, but it was his experience that I brought him on for.
"He has been great to have around and he is just really delighted to be back. He is very close now.
"We have had to guide him back a little bit because he is a big player for us and there isn't anybody in that changing room that wasn’t delighted for him to score that opening goal.
"The second goal was a massive goal as they were still putting us under pressure and I knew that would continue as they are a very good footballing team.
"It has been frustrating for Kaz. He has not started many games and we have this balance with him between starting games and making that impact as a substitute.
"If we look at the timing when he came on, that helped him as he was able to get that period up until half-time, get his second wind and then go again."
[h=3]ALBION V WOLVES
[/h]SATURDAY 14TH MARCH, KICK-OFF 3PM

[h=3]ALBION V NORWICH
[/h]FRIDAY 3RD APRIL, KICK-OFF 3PM

[h=3]ALBION V BOURNEMOUTH
[/h]FRIDAY 10TH APRIL, KICK-OFF 7.45PM

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here